The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » 21st Century Coin Mechanics (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
español jeff
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of español jeff
Thanks Larry. I'm still struggling with the Flying Changeover Palm, which is the heart of the book. I just can't seem to get it to look natural, yet. I know the CD will shed some light on it.
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
Hi Jeff,
Since you're in the area just stop by Cooperstown any time. I'd be glad to help you with the move.
español jeff
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of español jeff
Thanks Larry. Too bad I hadn't read this earlier - my son had a doctor's appointment today. And I'm looking forward to meeting you.

Do you have any restaurant gigs coming up soon? I was out of town when you performed at the Coachman's Inn a few weeks ago.
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
4770 Posts

Hey Jeff,
I'll let you know. I don't do any steady work in restaurants The Coachman is seasonal and is closed now.
I'll PM you with some additional info. Right now I'm putting the finishing touches on the companion video CD. The 3 retention vanishes and the Flying Changeover Palm look awesome on video (even if I do say so myself Smile ).
Larry
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
4770 Posts

I will notify all purchasers of the book about the companion CD by email or mail.
I've completed filming the sleights for the compansion video CD. As mentioned elsewhere, this will consist of MPEG video clips that you can play on a PC. I need to have these duplicated so I estimate they will be ready to ship in about a week. For those who have the book, the cost of the CD will be $6.00 and that includes shipping worldwide. If you wish to purchase the book and the CD together the total will be $56.00 plus shipping ($3.00 US, $7.50 Canada, $16.00 Europe and Asia). If you wish to pre-order, I will ship the CD or the Book/CD as soon as the CD is available, with those pre-ordering getting the CD or CD/Book first.

Larry
Mitch Schneiter
View Profile
Special user
West Linn, Oregon
672 Posts

Profile of Mitch Schneiter
Larry - I just wrote you a check for the CD and it'll be out with tomorrow's mail. Looking forward to seeing you performing the items from your book.
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
4770 Posts

Thanks Mitch,
...I now have a firm date for shipping the video CD and video CD/book combo. I will be shipping them Monday October 24. I have all the CDs, envelopes, mailers,stamps, etc. but they are in Cooperstown, and I am in Manhattan all this week.
...There are 28 short MPEG video clips which demonstate how each of the moves and variations of moves should look. They correspond to the sleights taught in the first 14 chapters of the book. I have also included a longer video of me performing Coins From Vegas which allows you to see many of the sleights used in performance. There is also a Word document on the CD which gives some background on when and why the moves were developed. The CD has 405MB of data.
...As stated in a prior post, I will be accepting orders and they will be filled in the order received. And yes, I still have a supply of Chinese coins for Café members which comes with each book.
...Thanks again for your interest.
Larry
boxjumper
View Profile
Veteran user
362 Posts

Profile of boxjumper
Larry,
I'm really enjoying your book. Some of the material is challenging. I'm working on Coins From Vegas right now. It uses that Pivoting Changeover Palm several times in a row. I can do it once or maybe twice but then my hand cramps up or the coin misses being palmed after say the second time around. Any advice would be welcomed.
BJ
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
4770 Posts

Hi BJ,
... First, make sure you are actually doing the sleight with the correct technique as described in the book. Sometimes by re-reading a sleight description you can pick up some points and nuances that solve the problem. If your right hand is cramping, you are probably holding the right hand coin too tightly in Offering Grip. Getting the coin into the right palm is a matter of practice and hand eye coordination (actually I don't look at my hands except in peripheral vision).
... Second, the CD may help. Your CD will be mailed Oct. 24 with all the pre-orders. On it, there is a demo of the Pivoting Changeover Palm where I do the move about 5-6 times in a row. That should give you an idea of the pace of the move and how the hands come together. In addition, a complete performance of Coins From Vegas (which of course features that move) is included on the video CD.
... Lastly, make sure your hands and the coins you are using are free of any grease or excessive moisture when practicing or performing.
Larry
boxjumper
View Profile
Veteran user
362 Posts

Profile of boxjumper
Larry, thank you so much for that tip. As you suggested. I relaxed the tension on the coin in Offering Grip and it allowed me to more easily palm the other coin. I can't wait to see this is on your CD!!!
BJ
leko
View Profile
Loyal user
Netherlands
202 Posts

Profile of leko
The CD that Larry is releasing will make learning the sleights much easier than from the book alone.
I know, for on my request a while ago, Larry generously sent me a CD with a high-quality videoclip (22MB) of his "Copper Silver By Brute Force" which helped me enormously in mastering the moves.
I have appreciated this very much indeed, Larry, thanks again!
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
4770 Posts

...Thanks Leonard for all your support as well.
...All the pre-orders for the Companion Video CD have been packaged and addressed and will be shipped Monday Oct. 24. This also includes those who ordered the book/CD package. I also put on the CD a photo of the entire Gyromagnetic Press Staff.
Larry
boxjumper
View Profile
Veteran user
362 Posts

Profile of boxjumper
I just received the companion video cd and after viewing the clips once I was absolutely blown away by these moves. I now see how great those sleights Larry devised can look. For example, the Double Helix Change is something I played with as I read the book. Now I see that this is worth the effort in perfecting it. The coined literally changed in mid air. The Flying Changeover Palm looks great in Larry's hands especially that two for three false count. The retention vanishes are among the best I've ever seen. That Open Palm retention vanish variation 3 does not seem possible yet I know how it works from the book. The URV retention was also beautifully done and with no tell. At the end there is a performance of Coins From Vegas. Many of the moves in the book are utilized in this gorgeous routine. The moves are perfectly synchronized with the rhyming patter. Too bad the cd is only available to people who bought the book. It would be a great promo for the book. Larry, thank you so much for putting this cd out.
BJ
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17411 Posts

Profile of joseph
"At the end there is a performance of Coins From Vegas."

Performance only?....If so, is it available separately, with explanation?...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
4770 Posts

Hi Joseph,
Coins From Vegas is explained in detail in Ch 18 of my book 21st Century Coin Mechanics. There are 27 sharp b/w photos and the complete script in that chapter. The Companion Viveo CD does not teach any moves. It consists of MPEG videos of the sleights in the first 14 chapters. These show how the moves should look when performed correctly. I included also a performance of Coins From Vegas since it features many of the sleights. A teaching DVD of other routines in the book is a possible future project.

Larry
Mitch Schneiter
View Profile
Special user
West Linn, Oregon
672 Posts

Profile of Mitch Schneiter
The Companion CD arrived a short while ago and I've just finished viewing it. The clips are just as clear as the photos in the book. Thanks for making this available Larry.
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
I think Larrry did a great thing with this CD. It really makes clear what the moves look like and helps you to figure out how much work to put into them.

Nicely, if simply produced. I found it was better to download it to the hard drive and then watch from there. Smoother video and sound that way.

Kirk
boxjumper
View Profile
Veteran user
362 Posts

Profile of boxjumper
Kirk, I did the same thing you did. I moved the files on to the hard drive. Played well on the Mac. Oh Larry, I forgot to mention this. Okito is very cute.
BJ
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
4770 Posts

Thanks, we think he's adorable. For more photos of Okito go to:
http://members2.clubphoto.com/esther136253/guest-1.phtml
Sean Comer
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of Sean Comer
Nice Pictures Larry. I received the CD last week, thank you for putting your moves on film.

Take Care.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » 21st Century Coin Mechanics (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL