The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Ethics Problem #4 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Phaedrus
View Profile
Loyal user
Mexico City
212 Posts

Profile of Phaedrus
This is problem number 4 in a series. To read problem number 1 and to understand the guidelines for posting, please read this thread:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......tart=0#3

ETHICS PROBLEM #4

Situation: Carl owns an extensive collection of magic books, tapes, and DVDs. His young daughter, noticing the amount of practice time he devotes to his hobby, becomes interested and decides to take up the study of magic herself. Instead of requiring her to obtain her own material or purchasing copies for her himself, Carl allows her free access to any of the material in his library.

Question: Is he acting ethically?

Discuss.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Yes. It's family property. He isn't hurting a thing. He is passing information on to his daughter.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Agreed
Dennis Michael
Beth
View Profile
Loyal user
Missouri
277 Posts

Profile of Beth
I think its ethical for him to share. By the nature of a family whether it is husband and wife or father or daughter they will pool resources. This is natural part of human nature and society would not fare well without this familial collectivism. It is also mentoring in its most pure form. Mentoring is good for magic. It allows students to pull on the prior knowledge of the previous generation and perhaps go to new heights.
"All creative art is magic, is evocation of the unseen in forms persuasive,enlightening, familar, and surprising."
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5931 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Nope, there is NO reason to let your daughter be less ethical than a friend or collegue. The Ethics should not change. If you believe it is OK to share your library with friends, it is OK to share with your daughter. If, however, you are cautious about sharing with friends, the same caution should apply to your daughter.

In fact, greater caution should apply to your daughter. Our example above stated "study of magic" which leads me to believe this is not a passing curiosity. In teaching your daughter about the "ethics" of valueing an author's work you need to take the extra step to give her ownership of her own book(s) IF she is serious. You can and should teach your children about "ethics". Sadly, you can't much teach your friends.

If your ethic does not value the author's work enough to be protective of it and his ability to make a living off it, then your daughter will probably already have learned that from you.

Cheers,

Tom
jimtron
View Profile
Inner circle
2039 Posts

Profile of jimtron
Quote:
Nope, there is NO reason to let your daughter be less ethical than a friend or collegue.

I don't think anyone has argued here that one's child should be less ethical than a friend. The hypothetical situation involves parents and their daughter, not friends. I'm sure we'd all agree that a parent should teach their children about ethics, but what about the topic at hand? Tom, do you think it's unethical for the parents to let the daughter read/view the material without purchasing her own copies?
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
But, then again, there are public libraries.
POOF!
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Let's try that same argument and see if it works in general. Consider this HYPOTHETICAL parallel

The President of the United States is reviewing some notes on expected political situations around the world. His daughter, a political science student asks him for and receives the notes and makes suggestions. Any problem there?

All I did was change the nouns, leaving the process intact. If there is something that makes the process "unethical" or at least uncomfortable, we may need to refine our language a bit about information in magic as opposed to information in other fields.

There was a comment about magic texts in public libraries. This too raises some questions. I usually phrase one of the questions as "what distinguishes a magician from a muggle". One of the other questions comes with the notion of "right to know". Ordinarily rights come with responsibilities. What then are the responsibilities?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
BlackShadow
View Profile
Special user
London UK
666 Posts

Profile of BlackShadow
Yep

Go Carl's daugter! She may become a great conjouress which is cool.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Ask for permission from the authors. This will teach your daughter a good lesson. The magicians who wrote the books will no doubt give permission in the these circumstances and they will know that you are person who can be trusted with a secret If the magician is dead or unknown then I don’t know. Smile
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Tommy, that's an interesting approach. On the one hand it does offer a direct extension of permission from the author, and on the other hand it puts the requestor in a situation where they must ask for the permission. That basic transaction and negotiation seems useful to magicdom. It opens up and maintains some contact between the parties who create the parties who wish to utilize secrets.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
This falls under chain of ownership. Documents and such can be shared and passed on until they fall apart. If the item in question came with a user agreement, the contract would bind the purchaser.
Making illegal copies of the material would still be a crime.
POOF!
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
It's just like if you are going to give your car to your blood relative, you are still going to have to go to the Registration for the sale. Even if you put down 1 dolloar as sale, it's still a sale and thus the ownership is transferred. Unless of course, your kid wants to drive the auto under your name and then you will be responsible for all of it. This is my ethical dilemmas...
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Beth
View Profile
Loyal user
Missouri
277 Posts

Profile of Beth
But if you live in the same house a husband and wife share all of their worldly goods they wouldn't have separate ownership... What's his is hers ect...it's the same with the daughter. Legally she doesn't own anything. Her parents are responsible for her upkeep. If she screws up and breaks the neighbors picture window Dad is liable. Although she may not see an allowance forever. My car is still in my Dads name. I don't think you can separate who owns what in a family. A minor can't buy a car....can't enter into a legally binding contract. I just don't see the point of separate books while living in the same house. Who really has that kind of space. My stance is in a family it's all joint property.
Peace Beth
"All creative art is magic, is evocation of the unseen in forms persuasive,enlightening, familar, and surprising."
chrisrkline
View Profile
Special user
Little Rock
965 Posts

Profile of chrisrkline
I think sometimes we can get silly. Whether you should reveal secrets to the child, or give them access to the books just because they want to know is a different point. If you are mentoring your child (and this is at least not too rare in magic) then who would buy two sets of everything?

It is one thing not to pass the books around the neighborhood, but in the house is different.

Again, that does not mean you should share all or any secrets with family members unless they are going to become magicians--I don't. It also does't mean you should share every secret just because they do want to pursue magic. But this goes for us. If you have a child who is into coin magic, they don't necessarily have to let you know every secret if coins are not your interest. Need to know is a guide.
Chris
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5931 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
If you are mentoring someone, don't you think it is a good idea to mentor respect for an author's work which can only be felt through the pride of ownership and having paid the author his due? Is mentoring just teaching somebody some tricks, or is mentoring about passing on philosophies and ethics?

Cheers,

Tom
chrisrkline
View Profile
Special user
Little Rock
965 Posts

Profile of chrisrkline
Personally, if I perform a routine that I receive money for, I will own it. The same goes for my child.

I am just not comfortable throwing the charge of lack of ethics in a situation like this, even if it is a hypothetical.

If my daughter wants to learn some card stuff. She can use my Royal Road to Card Magic.
Chris
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Think Blackstone Sr told Blackstone Jr to go buy his own stuff?
(Or any of the greats that passed information down.)

I don’t see it as being wrong teaching the daughter. But I do agree, at the same time we should be teaching her that ethics is important in magic. Not everything, but important.

Tom
Phaedrus
View Profile
Loyal user
Mexico City
212 Posts

Profile of Phaedrus
Quote:
Nope, there is NO reason to let your daughter be less ethical than a friend or collegue.

Tom, I have noticed a marked tendency on your part to argue as if a previous position has been established. This sentence only makes sense if you accept the premise that there is something unethical about lending books. While this question may be settled in YOUR mind, there are many other people who feel that magical books and recordings are property like any other, to be dispensed with as the owner sees fit. The question of what is ethical and what is not is what we are trying to explore here, and begging the question doesn't further the discussion.
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1937 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
I say make the brat buy her own books.
Kids these days are just gimmee, gimmee, gimmee.
Peace,
Parson

BTW, on a more serious note. Am I the only one who has noticed that most ethical questions here(and in other places as well) revolve around the loss of revenue to "creators?"
I have seen "creators" take info that is very, very old, repackage it and sell it as their very own.
It sometimes saddens me that magic for some is only about making money.

BTW: Did anyone here buy Killer Red Caps?
Here kitty, kitty,kitty. Smile
+++a posse ad esse+++
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Right or Wrong? » » Ethics Problem #4 (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL