The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Andy Nyman's Dice Man (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Yeah a demo would be nice. My last idea was just a quick one to get the cards completed. Instead of Kill and Be Nice, I used $$$ and Nada. The patter is basically pick a number between 1 and 8. Easy to figure the rest. Hope to come up with something better here soon. I probably should have used $$$ on the 7 instead of the 1 and let them go home broke like in Lost Wages (Las Vegas):)
mysticmick
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of mysticmick
There was some comments about rolling the number ONE and it being a bold move. I agree so what I do now if a one is rolled I start to shuffle the cards naturally one at a time whilst pattering about any number could have been called or rolled. Your then set.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Good move....I ditched the Die now and just use mental die. My numbers range up to 8. Thinking of getting a new set of cards made up, this time live and die. SOme patter about making life and death decisions etc etc....

Also need a few more cards for gospel presentation. Cut the number 5 card too narrow on the Kinkos cutting machine:(
oombob
View Profile
Special user
Canada
844 Posts

Profile of oombob
Are the cards examinable...or no? There seems to be a difference of opinion on this.
Dr. Zordas
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of Dr. Zordas
The cards and metal case (in a cheap velvet-like material cover) all seem a bit 'proppy' & tacky.

The cards are heavily laminated, which just begs to be inspected. They certainly don't need to be, just use blank bikes instead. The metal case has been silk-screen printed, looks like something from a novelty shop. The book’s title does not need to be reflected in the props, but it is.

If all this had been thought through, then 'Dice Man's' price wouldn't be so high.

...When you buy it and discover the mechanics, you will curse the day you were born. That, or the day Andy Nyman was born...

Dr. Zordas
david_a_whitehead
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
2122 Posts

Profile of david_a_whitehead
The lamination allows the spectator to handle the final step himself. that is the major advantage of it and I think it is brilliant. It is definitely worth the money...a fooler for laymen and magicians. And if you don't like the card, get some others and laminate them. don't use regular bikes.
Dr. Zordas
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of Dr. Zordas
...I beg to differ...;

Using blank-faced bikes with your own routine for me is much stronger. Lamination sucks big-time. How can you present this thing at all when all the props look as though they just came from a toy shop?

The *principle* involved is strong, don't get me wrong, I use it for many, many effects. But plastic cards in their own 'dice Man' holder...? I think not.

Dr. Zordas
david_a_whitehead
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
2122 Posts

Profile of david_a_whitehead
Don't use the holder. just bring out the cards laminated to match the needs of your client. the lamination is essential for a convincing effect. The thing that blows them away is when THEY turn over that hot card. Doing this with bikes will also make this too familiar with a card trick. while it is basically a card trick anything other than playing cards is a step in the right direction. So I beg to differ with you my good doctor.
Dr. Zordas
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of Dr. Zordas
...I have yet to do this effect for someone who *HASN'T asked to inspect the cards, simply because they were laminated. And possibly because of the tacky gold die printed on the backs.

Please don't give me some claptrap about 'audience management' or that other favourite - 'routining' (whatever that means?)

In fact, while I'm at it, anyone out there (UK) want a 'Dice Man'? PM for details on this fantastic trick.

Dr. Zordas
Tom Lauten
View Profile
Special user
689 Posts

Profile of Tom Lauten
Oh c'mon Doc...be nice! LOL! (ooooo, he hates it he does!)

Actually I have had great success with Diceman (sorry!). I have never had anyone ask to see the cards.

It is a weird one to just chuck into a conversation and best as part of an act.

I do also agree that the visual design is a bit showy and could use a "neutralising".
Living at and loving Loch Ness!
shaunproof
View Profile
Loyal user
Parts Unknown
228 Posts

Profile of shaunproof
Many times I have done this with the diceman cards and haven't been busted.
Can't you just laminate cards? They don't have to be Bicycle backs.
Just use white index cards and get those laminated.
Jean-Luc.R.
View Profile
Inner circle
QUEBEC - CANADA
1488 Posts

Profile of Jean-Luc.R.
I created my own laminated cards to look more personal.It works fine.
sjdavison
View Profile
Inner circle
Surrey, UK
1379 Posts

Profile of sjdavison
Like the principle, not a fan of the presentation or cards provided, I must say. Not really me. Going to make up my own set, allowing for a different presentation.

Am thinking of making up 12 cards, and this will also rule out number one being called - just have them imagine rolling two die. Then it is never an issue.

Simon
Simon, 32, UK

www.sidavisonmagic.com
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
I talked to Andy about making a reverse set so I could talk about my serial killer tendencies and having someone else decide what I should do... now they pick one card and I turn the others around to show BE NICE and the one they picked says KILL so I can say, "They keep making me do it." and as they look up I'm holding a bloodied knife and have a very mean stare.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
ritty360
View Profile
Elite user
McKinney, Texas
405 Posts

Profile of ritty360
Greg,

YOu could take that further by getting a knife in arm and getting a stooge to stand there and scream as you cut into thier arm. That would be some theatre! I bet all kinds of clients would line up for a rebook!

Andy
sjdavison
View Profile
Inner circle
Surrey, UK
1379 Posts

Profile of sjdavison
A rebook - or calling the police! Could be quite dramatic though!

Simon
Simon, 32, UK

www.sidavisonmagic.com
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Quote:
On 2005-06-15 09:48, ritty360 wrote:
Greg,

YOu could take that further by getting a knife in arm and getting a stooge to stand there and scream as you cut into thier arm. That would be some theatre! I bet all kinds of clients would line up for a rebook!

Andy

Who needs a stooge? Or a fake knife? Smile Smile

Greg
ritty360
View Profile
Elite user
McKinney, Texas
405 Posts

Profile of ritty360
Now that woudl really bring down the house! From a simple to card trick to attempted homicide. The only issue I would have is the reset time. Would that be 15-20 years?
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Quote:
On 2005-06-15 12:28, ritty360 wrote:
Now that woudl really bring down the house! From a simple to card trick to attempted homicide. The only issue I would have is the reset time. Would that be 15-20 years?

Nope. Just hand the knife over to O.J.

Greg
themindreader
View Profile
Loyal user
254 Posts

Profile of themindreader
With all the respect in the world to Mr Nyman - I could not help thinking that a slightly more interesting story could have been put to this effect.

Still, once you know the principal it would not be too tricky to make up a new set of cards to whichever story you think of!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Andy Nyman's Dice Man (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL