The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Magician's Insurance Policy!... (The Trick) (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Dano
View Profile
Loyal user
Centerville, OH
240 Posts

Profile of Dano
Anyone use it differently than the way it has been performed since the beginning of time or earlier? ie: Can't locate card, pull out policy, be hero!
Although I have gotten some pretty good reactions with the "old standard", there has to be a better/different way... or maybe not!
"Magic" is merely an illusion, but "Perception" is reality!
mindpirate
View Profile
Regular user
Northern Virginia
186 Posts

Profile of mindpirate
No I have to say that I pretty much like that trick the way it is. It has always worked really well for me. The only thing I have ever done differently with it is that instead of cards I did it with dollar bills and the end result was me showing an image of a dollar bill with a matching serial number on it.
~MindPirate~
www.magicianschoice.net
www.magicofben.com

It can not be...and yet...it can
- Tommy Wonder
Jonathan Brown
View Profile
Loyal user
Tappahannock, VA
288 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Brown
I use the Policy completely out of context. When I do the Wrist or Finger Chopper, I bring it out as a gag, "In case things do go quite right...." Or even with coin stuff. In a coins across routine, when the last coin refuses to go, I bring it out. Then the coins reset to the original hands. You know. Just the cover of the policy can be used, the insides for the "original" trick aren't always necessary. The ones I got from my local shop, have some good pictures on them that elicit GREAT lines. Such as the one of the fortune teller on it. "Reminds me of the psychic midget who escaped from jail. Headline read: SMALL MEDIUM AT LARGE!" Stuff like that. Just use it out of context or have some printed for your needs.

All the best,
Jonathan
Paul Sherman
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, VA
1511 Posts

Profile of Paul Sherman
A few questions for those who do this trick:

How do you prevent backwards reasoning? Doesn't the effect suggest the method (i.e., it's obvious, in retrospect, that they didn't REALLY have a free choice of cards)? If this effect is going to be powerful, doesn't the selection procedure have to be completely bulletproof in retrospect? Is the classic force sufficiently bulletproof? (I'll tip my hand: I don't think it is.)

And if you aren't doing anything to overcome this weakness, isn't the insurance policy just a sight-gag and not really a mystery?
"The finished card expert considers nothing too trivial that in any way contributes to his success..." Erdnase

some youtube videos
Jonathan Brown
View Profile
Loyal user
Tappahannock, VA
288 Posts

When I performed this effect, I introduce the policy after several failed attempts at location. When I bring it out, I normally say, "Well at least there's good news. I just save a bunch of money on my performance insurance by switching to Geico!" This usually elicits a laugh or at least one of those grumbles, i.e. a really cheesy joke. Then I go through my usual jokes with the policy. But I stress that the policy states that if the card can't be found after 3 tries the insurance policy will cover me and "save face" during the big moment. After the reveal I say, "They send me 52 of these things a year! Luckily I brought the right one!" This is more of a "prediction" effect to me. And comedy. Not necessarliy a MIRACLE per say, but this is strong and gives you a chance to shine performance wise. So no Paul, I don't see this as a bonafide stunner, but none the less a funny bit. But yes the selection needs to be AS FAIR AS POSSIBLE. Classic force, CRISS CROSS is amazingly effective. But then again, this isn't to ME about the technique and such, but the filler of the effect and the interaction.

All the best,
Jonathan
Dano
View Profile
Loyal user
Centerville, OH
240 Posts

Profile of Dano
Paul & Jonathan:

Yea, I agree that it's kinda a "cart before the horse trick". But it always gets some laughs. I have done knuckle-busting comedy card routines that did not do as well on a consistent basis as the good ole policy!

I think we keep forgeting that we are doing magic for lay people who generally don't analyze, they enjoy, as it should be!

A case in point is the DL which I practice almost every single day, but during a table hopping performance after establishing eye contact I could do a "get ready" with a crowbar!!!!!!

Am I making my point, or confusing the issue?
Sometimes simple is better!
"Magic" is merely an illusion, but "Perception" is reality!
PaulGreen
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of PaulGreen
I do the Insurance Policy and feel that it is a very viable piece of Magic Theater. I have a three climax routine using a policy and a money clip. The card is "selected" and then shuffled into the deck by the spectator. Climax one: The policy is opened to reveal the selection. Climax two: The money clip is used to show the selection. Climax three: The selected card is found in the shuffled deck.

My routine appears on my CLASSIC FORCE DVD. I also sell it at my lectures. For me, and those that use it, it has been a real winner.

Working with an audience and performing "for" and not "at" them provides a memorable bit of Magic.

Respectfully,

Paul Green
Paul Sherman
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, VA
1511 Posts

Profile of Paul Sherman
Quote:
On 2005-10-05 15:45, Jonathan Brown wrote:
CRISS CROSS is amazingly effective. But then again, this isn't to ME about the technique and such, but the filler of the effect and the interaction.

I had been in magic less than one week when I first saw the insurance policy performed, so I was still a layman. The demonstrator used the criss-cross force. When he revealed the card I was not only able to deduce that he must have forced me to make that selection, but also how the criss-cross force worked. I agree that the selection procedure should preclude a force, but I don't think the criss-cross force is clean enough to do that (it certainly wasn't for me).

I agree that it's funny and entertaining, but I don't think (the way most people perform it) the humor or entertainment come from anything "magical". Depending on what you perceive as the role of the "magician", that may or may not be something to be concerned about. If you think that the role of the magician is to entertain WITH magic (or with effects that are indistinguishable from magic), the insurance policy, as it's usually performed, doesn't seem to fit the bill.

While I haven't seen Paul's routine, it seems that using the insurance policy in a series of multiple climaxes might get around this problem, because it would tend to overload the senses and prevent backwards reasoning. I have no doubt that this overload, combined with Paul's acknowledged mastery of the classic force, must make for an extremely powerful, MAGICAL effect. At the very least, it's a solution that seems to take some account of the inherent susceptibility of the insurance policy effect to backward reasoning.

I'm interested to hear how other people attempt to overcome this weakness, or whether they find it unnecessary (and if so, why?).
"The finished card expert considers nothing too trivial that in any way contributes to his success..." Erdnase

some youtube videos
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
I've always assumed that laymen liked the Insurance Policy because it doesn't fool them...
Jonathan Brown
View Profile
Loyal user
Tappahannock, VA
288 Posts

The criss-cross force isn't probably the most economical, but think of this. Doc Eason was talking about doing any card routine, and what to do if the spectator asks to shuffle. He looks at them square in the eyes and says:

"Sure....But do you think it will do any good?"

Think about it. To me, most anybody who you perform for, knows that you have attained some higher skill with that deck than they do. Nothing they can't learn, but something you have. So when they pick the card, do they think it's fair? Maybe. Do they think when they put it back, that you can't possibly find it? Probably not. But if the trick is entertaining and the revalation is interesting do they really care about the above?

Look at Don Alan for example. He didn't do anything knucklebusting. He used gaffed decks. Used a corner short for controls and forces. But did the audience care that the card they chose was a free choice? NO! Because they LAUGHED THEIR
ASS OFF IN THE PROCESS! Entertainment. As they say in the kitchen. An ounce of sauce can cover a ton of mistakes.

I don't think the trick needs a Marlo approach. It needs the Al Flosso treatment.

All the best,
Jonathan
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2537 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
I agree that part of the strength of the Paul Green routine comes from his excellent classic force. Paul is also very entertaining as well. (Paul Sherman - see my PM to you.)

I don't see this as an either/or situation. This effect can be both highly deceptive and highly entertaining. Why not have both a great sauce and an underlying dish that doesn't have any major flaws?
"To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time."

-Leonard Bernstein
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Johnathan,

For the most part, Don Alan stayed away from knucklebusting technique, but he was not about to sacrifice the effect in order to do so. Case in point, Don Alan's suggested handling for the Insurance policy in "Pretty Sneaky". Yes, it is pretty much irrelevant what force you use for the first card, and yes, you get all the laughs of the usual insurance policy, but there's the card in the wallet payoff. I think that's closer to the Alan formula. Yes, there were tons of laughs along the way, but there was always a destination.

Along these lines, does anyone recall Rick Johnsson's "Covered and Recovered"? All the laughs of the insurance policy, capped with a killer payoff and a crunchy candy shell.

I added the "candy shell".
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
If you're going to do the IP trick why not just spread a one way forcing deck on the table and have someone pull out a card?

You don't get any fairer than that and you have lots of time to switch out the one way pack before you reveal the IP gag.

If you're going to carry the IP itself there's no reason not to use the best force possible and that means hands off, no proceedure.
PaulGreen
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of PaulGreen
WSDuncan said, "...there's no reason not to use the best force possible and that means hands off, no proceedure."

That should be the appearance of any forcing technique that you use. While I am partial to the Classic (Thank you Barry), any technique used can be deceptive, and work well. However, the thought of switching a pack in and out makes me shudder--another deck of cards to be carried!

Paul Sherman brings up the point of "reverse engineering" from the POV of an audiences' collective thinking. I rarely think that this is the norm. Yes, members of an audience will try to analyze a trick, but if they are involved and entertained they will not worry so much about how or why a trick works. This also means that the performer must be a likeable character.

I really like Doc Eason's answer to the spectator that requests a shuffle. Our audiences realize that we are using sleight of hand to produce the effects they see. Human nature will fill in the method, even if it is wrong.

If they like you, they will like your magic performance. They will even like your presentation of the Insurance Policy!

Respectfully,

Paul (Here, let's do it again. You really didn't think that I had 52 different policies, did you?) Green
Sean
View Profile
Loyal user
No Cal
205 Posts

Profile of Sean
Quote:

Paul (Here, let's do it again. You really didn't think that I had 52 different policies, did you?) Green

Pocket index!!!
Doomo
View Profile
Inner circle
2364 Posts

Profile of Doomo
I am glad that none of you guys really understand what insurance is for. Or how it is viewed by the public at large.Or what most people would do if they actually HAD such a policy.If you did, you would see what you can really do with the insurance policy effect.
If you ever get to a point where words have no meaning, you're probably talking to a dog.

Remember! More Bang For LESS Bucks! It is the right way!

www.rfaproductions.com
Sonicstabber
View Profile
Regular user
Sydney, Australia
174 Posts

Profile of Sonicstabber
I actually had an idea of a few "misses" before bringing out the full revelation, Bring out the insurance policy and say some BS, standard procedure lines but make them a bit laughable, if necessary, and have a pre loaded card ( back facing the audience) loaded in, and slowly let it rise up, using your thumb on the inside like you're reading a book, and say something like "There's a card here.... have a look"

" I never said it was YOUR card" then reveal it or whatever. I personally don't have to use much patter for presenting this, it's a no brainer with mainly visual stimulus.

Eddie
graywolf
View Profile
Special user
South carolina
631 Posts

Profile of graywolf
I have a metal loop appear to show a LOOPHOLE in the policy and then have a cowboy on a horse appear on the loop to show that the policy has a RIDER.I use many other puns with my policy at trade shows.It is a fun routine.Original thinking from Congressman Rollins.Jerry Mentzer has published some of his money ideas.Cordially,Howard
Doc Eason
View Profile
V.I.P.
Aspen Colorado
429 Posts

Profile of Doc Eason
The line that is attributed to me is actually from Kenton Knepper and his excellent series Wonder Words... it uses "but cancellation" ... very effective use of language to de-fuse the challenge...

I don't mean to hijack this thread.. just wanted to set the record straight..

I used to do the IP a lot (but not in a while). with the second card ending up in the stack of envelopes buried in the IP as I pull it out... it used to kill.. have to dust off the thing and try it again...
Doc Eason’s Rocky Mountain Magic

PO Box 50 / Basalt CO 81621

doc@doceason.com

http://doceason.com

http://doceasonmagicshop.com
Chris Miller
View Profile
Loyal user
Rochester, NY
242 Posts

Profile of Chris Miller
For the normal insurance policy routine, the policy is the climax, but what if.... You have someone select a card (unseen by you) and you have them sign the back. The card is set somewhere for safe-keeping. You plan to name their card. You explain how the trick is in the bag, because you have purchased an insurance policy that makes the trick all-but-surefire. You haven't named the card yet, but you show them the policy, figuring, why not let them in on your secret. You have some fun with the policy provisions. You open it up, and the King of Hearts is there. Spec laughs and says you are wrong, it was the 3 of clubs! You check the safely-kept signed card and to the spectator's shock, the card they signed is now the King of Hearts. You could kid them that the insurance carrier requires you to have the spectators sign the card ahead of time so that they do not change their mind. I've never done this, but it could refresh the idea. Perhaps I'll give it a try. Any thoughts?

Chris
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Magician's Insurance Policy!... (The Trick) (8 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL