The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Half-dyed silk routine (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1217 Posts

Profile of stempleton
Quote:
On Jul 1, 2018, Pop Haydn wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 30, 2018, stempleton wrote:
Scott Alexander has released what he feels is a more sensical approach to the Half Dyed Silk... borrows heavily from Billy's routine and a Duane Laflin routine (at least in my mind,) leaving out the "half" part. It's called "Color of Mystery." I purchased it for the idea of producing a string of differently colored silks at the end, then back to the single white hank. Nothing earth shattering here, but it is kind of fun, as there are some subtle differences to what normally comes to mind. Scott's routining is perfect, the gimmicks do what they're supposed to do, although I'm doing some small modifications. Absolutely no reset time, which makes rehearsing the routine quite easy, not to mention multiple performances. Pricey for what it is, but what it is makes for a very good time.

This is a color changing scarf routine, rather than a version of McComb's Half-Dyed Hank, isn't it? He adapts some of McComb's lines to the trick, but the handling and plot are entirely different.

Yes, I'm sorry to have confused the thread. My intent was to share that, in the intro, Scott explained he released this to answer some of the problems he felt the HDS had... an example is he felt the half dyed silk was too much an "impossible object" that the audience could not relate to in stage work. He also commented that he didn't like the multiple DT's of McCombs version. Yes, is very much a color changing silk routine; I use Levent's HDS routine when I need it.
TommyJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Foxboro, MA
1738 Posts

Profile of TommyJ
I performed Billy McComb's version for years. I opened my corporate and adult performances with it. I always felt the switching of gimmicks could raise suspicion, going in and out of pockets etc.

I like Levant's gimmick although I don't own one.

About ten years back, I came up with a handling of my own using just one palmo and A 15" half dyed silk set. I began experimenting and reworking my routine so there would be no need to ditch a gimmick at the end.

A gimmick is just that . . . a gimmick, a tool to make the trick work. I feel that if the gimmick is manipulated correctly at the end of the routine, the audience is none the wiser. You can very "fairly" show both hands "empty" and put the half dyed silk away along with the gimmick.

I will be sharing my routine in my lecture at the 2018 KIDabra conference in Tennessee.
"Keep the Kids Laughing!"
https://www.tommyjamesmagic.com/store
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1217 Posts

Profile of stempleton
Quote:
On Jul 11, 2018, TommyJ wrote:
I performed Billy McComb's version for years. I opened my corporate and adult performances with it. I always felt the switching of gimmicks could raise suspicion, going in and out of pockets etc.

About ten years back, I came up with a handling of my own using just one palmo and A 15" half dyed silk set. I began experimenting and reworking my routine so there would be no need to ditch a gimmick at the end.

A gimmick is just that . . . a gimmick, a tool to make the trick work. I feel that if the gimmick is manipulated correctly at the end of the routine, the audience is none the wiser. You can very "fairly" show both hands "empty" and put the half dyed silk away along with the gimmick.

I will be sharing my routine in my lecture at the 2018 KIDabra conference in Tennessee.

Tommy, wish I could be there, if only to say "hello." I hope you'll make your notes available.
TommyJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Foxboro, MA
1738 Posts

Profile of TommyJ
Quote:
On Jul 11, 2018, stempleton wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 11, 2018, TommyJ wrote:

Tommy, wish I could be there, if only to say "hello." I hope you'll make your notes available.

Hi Steve,
Would have loved to meet you!
"Keep the Kids Laughing!"
https://www.tommyjamesmagic.com/store
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Half-dyed silk routine (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL