The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The October 2005 entrée: Eric DeCamps » » Welcome to The Magic Café Eric! » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Steve Brooks
View Profile
Manager
Northern California - United States
4364 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
As founder and manager of The Magic Café it is my honor and priviledge to welcome the one and only Eric DeCamps as our very special guest of honor for the month of October. Smile

Eric,
I first saw you lecture years ago at an A-1 Convention in California, then again at the SAM convention held in Boston, Ma. back in July. It is obvious to me that you really care about your magic and it definitely shows.
That said, I am quite confident that our Café faithful will certainly enjoy hearing your point of view concerning the world of magic. Welcome aboard Eric! Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
MField2000
View Profile
Special user
Hastings, East Sussex, England
590 Posts

Profile of MField2000
It is a real pleasure to have Eric DeCamps here at the Café.

Eric is a true master of sleight of hand and a wonderful entertainer. I've been a fan of his since I first saw him at New York City's late, great Mostly Magic nightclub.

Eric's coin work is first rate. He's fried me more than once with his Coins Across, especially when the last coin magically appears on a table several feet from where he's standing.

Eric helped produce a tribute to Mostly Magic at the 100th Anniversary SAM convention in 1991, where he performed alongside Mark Mitten, Margaret Steele, Meir Yedid, Bob Torkova, Joe Devlin, our Dean George Schindler, Peter Maloney and the owner and frequent performer at the club, the inimitable Imam. I was many in the audience who were weeping because of the emotion of the occasion.

A great guy and a true talent -- welcome Eric!

Matt Field
(now living in London)
belgarion88
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of belgarion88
Hello Sir,
after you do a double lift and bring the card to the top, if you were to do a top change, how do you do it? Are there any ways to easily make an eye contact with them? What kind of patter should accompany it?
Eric DeCamps
View Profile
V.I.P.
95 Posts

Profile of Eric DeCamps
Steve:

Thanks for the welcome and kind words. I have really been looking forward to being your guest here at The Magic Café and interacting with the members.

I was not aware that you attended my lecture in Sacramento. That lecture and show was a lot of fun. One of the best times I ever had at a magic convention. I fondly remember subsequent wonderful article and review that the Sacramento Bee wrote about the convention.

Eric DeCamps
Eric DeCamps
View Profile
V.I.P.
95 Posts

Profile of Eric DeCamps
Hey Buddy! How are things in London?

Mostly Magic was a lot of fun and to be honest I really miss that place. The camaraderie and good times all of the acts had while performing there was extremely special. As you recalled at the at the SAM Centennial Convention in 2002 I helped organize tribute show. All of us working together again was one of the highlights of my career.

It’s amazing that you remember my old coins across routine! That routine was really cool to do there. When you can misdirect/redirect 100+ people as if they were one was always quite a wonderful rush for me.

Eric DeCamps
Eric DeCamps
View Profile
V.I.P.
95 Posts

Profile of Eric DeCamps
Belgarion88:

That’s an interesting question. The particular technique that I use for the top change is one that I have been using for over 25 years and is explained in detail in my Stars of Magic Video, “Eric DeCamps The Magic Classics”. However, there are many other great techniques in print. I suggest that ypou might want to investigate the following resources: Hugard and Braue’s book Expert Card Technique or Roberto Giobbi’s Card College books.

As far as accompanying things to say while executing the sleight that really depends on the effect you are trying to create in your spectators minds at that particular time.

Eric DeCamps
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2459 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
Eric,

One of the things that makes the Café' so special is having Guests of Honor stop by and sharing history, tips and love of Magic. Thanks for taking the time and being here.

John
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1398 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
I met Eric about a year and a half ago at a lecture by Bob White. I found out that Eric was a fan of wrestling, the old school guys in particular. Since I work in the wrestling industry, I realized that aside from magic, we had another common interest. I then began a great relationship with Eric - I would bother him with newbie/amateur questions, and he would humor me with a response. I thought to myself, “maybe he is just being nice to me, because he wants to score some wrestling tickets from me.” Then I thought to myself, “cool, works for me!”

In all seriousness, Eric is a very nice guy and a great magician. I admire his well thought-out routines and excellent presentations. He has also taken time out to give me advice and guidance. I remember calling him on my cell phone one night on the way home from work, to ask for advice before my first big school show. He talked to me for about a half hour and gave me the confidence I needed to do my show. My overage charges on my cell phone bill were ridiculous that month. I'm still ****ed.

So anyway, welcome to the Café Eric, nice to have you here. Will you be at NEMCON again in 2006?
You don't drown by falling in the water;
you drown by staying there.

- Edwin Louis Cole
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2096 Posts

Profile of Robert M
Welcome, Eric!

Robert McDaniel
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3505 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Welcome Eric,

Since Danny mentioned that you were a fan of "old school" wrestlers. I thought I'd pass on the news that one of my fellow Milwaukeans. The Crusher, Reggie Lisowski passed away Saturday.

Thanks for helping out all the magicians on the Café.

Vandy
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3262 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
Hi Eric, and welcome to the Café! Hope you will enjoy your time here, and have a good time.
Perhaps I will see you at F.I.S.M. in Sweden next year?
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
Eric DeCamps
View Profile
V.I.P.
95 Posts

Profile of Eric DeCamps
Hi Danny:

You think your cell phone overages were high? Wait till you get my invoice for my consultant fees! 

Seriously, it’s a pleasure to help people like yourself who are sincere and truly interested in improving their magic.

BTW, when can we schedule a tour of Titan Towers?

Thanks.

Eric DeCamps
Eric DeCamps
View Profile
V.I.P.
95 Posts

Profile of Eric DeCamps
RevJohn:

Thanks for the welcome. I am looking forward to this experience very much.
This should be a lot of fun.

Eric DeCamps
Eric DeCamps
View Profile
V.I.P.
95 Posts

Profile of Eric DeCamps
Vandy Grift:

It's a shame about the Crusher. I remember him well especially when he teamed with Dick the Bruiser. The Crusher had quite a career may he rest in peace.

Eric DeCamps
Eric DeCamps
View Profile
V.I.P.
95 Posts

Profile of Eric DeCamps
Peo Olsson:

I would love to see you at FISM next year. If I can make it I'll let you know.

Thanks.

Eric DeCamps
RC4MAG
View Profile
Special user
534 Posts

Profile of RC4MAG
Eric,
Now that this is turned into the Mat Café...
Is it true that your technique for the flying drop kick you learned from Mil Mascaras?
Congratulations on becoming a Special Guest Of Honor here.
- Rene
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3182 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Welcome to the magic Café Eric!

It is an honor to have you here sharing your knowledge.

Thanks for what is to come!

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Eric DeCamps
View Profile
V.I.P.
95 Posts

Profile of Eric DeCamps
Rene:

You should see my "El Santo" invisble pass!

Eric deCamps
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3108 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
Welcome to the Magic Café! Thanks for sharing with us.
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
Jim Wilder
View Profile
Staff
Birmingham, AL
951 Posts

Profile of Jim Wilder
Hey Eric!
Thanks for being at the Café this week.
I look forward to reading your posts.
Jim
Paul Chosse
View Profile
V.I.P.
1955 - 2010
2389 Posts

Profile of Paul Chosse
Welcome to "The Magic Café", Eric! It is a pleasure to see you here. The commitment that this entails speaks highly of your dedication to the art. I look forward to the invaluable information a professional of your calibre brings to the "table". I'm sure I speak for many when I say that I hope to honor your commitment by spending as much time thinking about your offerings as you have spent in developing the thoughts you'll share this week...

Best, PSC

By the way, it was great to meet you at the SAM. Maybe we can spend more time, the next time...
"You can't steal a gift..." Dizzy Gillespie
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3592 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Welcome to the Café'! As you may have noticed, it is a pleasant little island of maddness far from the "normal" crowd. Where passes are made with cards, not at other people and where doubles are done with a deck instead of with booze (well, sometimes with both, actually).

Having been a fan of your work for some time now, I am really looking forward to your visit!

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1554 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi Eric,

Thanks for taking the time to visit us here at the Café and providing us with your wonderful insight.

Chrystal
Eric DeCamps
View Profile
V.I.P.
95 Posts

Profile of Eric DeCamps
Paul:

It was a pleasure to meet you in Boston this past July. Unfortunately, I did not have the chance to really sit and visit with you the way I would have liked to. I have to tell you although we really did not get a chance to “session”. I did see you perform a coins across routine and it looked great. It goes to show that you never judge a book by its cover. All these years I heard that you were a great card man and not once did anyone mention that you were so good with coins! I really missed the memo on that one.

I am happy to be here this week and as I told you in Boston I really enjoy reading your insightful posts here at the Café. Café members are fortunate that you share your experience and knowledge with them.

Best,

Eric DeCamps
Eric DeCamps
View Profile
V.I.P.
95 Posts

Profile of Eric DeCamps
Lee:

Thanks for the warm welcome. I just hope I do not disappoint.

Best,

Eric DeCamps
Paul Chosse
View Profile
V.I.P.
1955 - 2010
2389 Posts

Profile of Paul Chosse
Quote:
On 2005-10-25 17:18, Eric DeCamps wrote:
Paul:

It was a pleasure to meet you in Boston this past July. Unfortunately, I did not have the chance to really sit and visit with you the way I would have liked to. I have to tell you although we really did not get a chance to “session”. I did see you perform a coins across routine and it looked great. It goes to show that you never judge a book by its cover. All these years I heard that you were a great card man and not once did anyone mention that you were so good with coins! I really missed the memo on that one.

I am happy to be here this week and as I told you in Boston I really enjoy reading your insightful posts here at the Café. Café members are fortunate that you share your experience and knowledge with them.

Best,

Eric DeCamps

Thanks for the compliment, Eric. It's a funny thing, when I first moved to the West Coast, back in 1975, I was known as a "Coin Guy"! My original "reputation" was for coin magic. In fact, I released a couple of tricks thru Sterling Creations back in the '70's. So you're right, you never know what someone can do. Anyway, I am looking forward to spending some time with you at a "session" somewhere down the line. Thanks again for taking the time to share your knowledge here...

Best, PSC
"You can't steal a gift..." Dizzy Gillespie
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The October 2005 entrée: Eric DeCamps » » Welcome to The Magic Café Eric! » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.128881 seconds, requiring 80 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [1] [9] [3] [3] [4] [5] [0] [4]