The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Yigal Mesika Exploding Lightbulb (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
HuronLow
View Profile
Special user
689 Posts

Profile of HuronLow
Hey people!!! Do you guys have this effect? Anybody? I think it'll be cooler if it lit up first before blowing up. Any reviews?
The T&R Project.
A revolutionary take on the Torn & Restored card.

Available now at www.HuronLow.com
davekilpatrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Syracuse, NY
282 Posts

Profile of davekilpatrick
Do a search on this site. This trick is discussed extensively. I think there were serious concerns about safety?from the mechanism, not just from the flying glass! I was interested in this trick until I read the posts.
psychic
View Profile
Veteran user
337 Posts

Profile of psychic
Yes, the mechanism could be dangerous. And the success of how you 'ignite' the mechanism depends on the structure of your hand; if I may term it that way.

The ad is right; the bulb will splatter like nobody's business, within a split second. If however, the bulb could crack /splatter less tremendously the effect would sell better - I think

Nevertheless, the issue is how you would perfect the 'ignition' naturally. Great idea, but great practice as well.

Hope that helps
Smile
MagicalDesignPro
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of MagicalDesignPro
I purchased this effect and, to be completely honest, was disappointed in it.

It's a great idea and has a lot of potential, but because of the way it is designed, it can be difficult and awkward in its use - at least in my opinion.

First, the best way to use this would be to put the bulb in a clear plastic ziplock bag.
However, because of the size and shape of this prop, once in the bag, it is difficult to get the gimmick to do "the thing".

Some SLIGHT design modifications, and this would be a great piece.

Hope this helps.
dAvId tOnG
View Profile
Loyal user
sInGaPoRe
218 Posts

Profile of dAvId tOnG
I think this is a great effect. I don't recommend doing it for close up! Do it for parlor or stage where the audience is a distance away. As for safety concerns, wear a safety glass like those used by carpenter for drilling stuffs. This not only covers your safety concerns but makes the effect plays big!
Hengky Ciptanegara
View Profile
Veteran user
Indonesia
389 Posts

Profile of Hengky Ciptanegara
Hi people,

I had an experience just like you the first time I tried to use this gimmick. I even made a mistake when I performed it; the "ignition" did not want to be released, so the trick was not completed.

But I have a friend here who could make some modifications to the gimmick so the "ignition" would work 100 %. And the effect I think is GREAT Smile

Hengky
Steve Hoffman
View Profile
Regular user
143 Posts

Profile of Steve Hoffman
I have this effect and think it's terrific. I'm a worry-wart about safety, but it doesn't seem at all unsafe to me, as long as you're not pointing the bulb at your own face and as long as no spectator is within a certain number of feet.

I've not used in yet in public performance - you have to have the right context for it .. . as someone else noted, it's hardly a good idea for close-up ... but I've practiced in my backyard and the mechanism worked for me everytime . . . .

I think that properly used (you have to create a good effect to which this is the climax), this is a potential reputation-maker "demonstating" psychokinetic powers ot the presence poltergeists, or whatever the heck you want to.

By the way if you get it, save all your used light bulbs at home, use 'em for practice.

Steve Hoffman
mailto:steve@goodnote.com
chrisop
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of chrisop
I agree with you guys here. A very cool way to demonstrate your psychokinetic powers! Creepy... an audience pleaser!
*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*
The more we love a thing,
The more we see in it what others
do not see,
And the nobler it becomes in our view
*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*
Peelz
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Peelz
I've read the other posts on this topic, and I wanted to know if the pieces of glass left would be big enough to pick up and eat.. or is it truly shattered?
HuronLow
View Profile
Special user
689 Posts

Profile of HuronLow
A fellow magician told me that he eats it after he blows it up. hope that helps.=)
The T&R Project.

Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA
5674 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I've seen it fairly close-up and the striker doesn't send the pieces flying very far. I wouldn't move the bulb closer than 5 feet from someone's face, however. I haven't seen it used too many times, but it would be best to experiment to determine what distance will be safe. I would keep my face turned away from the bulb, when setting-off the gimmick.
bigALmagic.com

Where have some of the most valuable members gone?
MagicAL47
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of MagicAL47
I don't understand. Eat real glasss? I don't have the exploding lightbulb and haven't seen it. Can someone tell me where it is?
~Magic-Al~
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
2928 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
You can find a complete description at http://www.hocus-pocus.com

And yes, people do eat glass. It's a time-honored sideshow geek act.
Neil Tobin, Necromancer
AUDIENCE CHOICE AWARD-winning show, Near Death Experience, opening soon! Http://neardeathx.com
HuronLow
View Profile
Special user
689 Posts

Profile of HuronLow
Haha... wonder why it doesn't hurt when you pass it out. ouch.
The T&R Project.

joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
16654 Posts

Profile of joseph
Why not eat it? Lots of people are on "light" diets. Smile Smile
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2250 Posts

Profile of Logan
I am really interested in this effect and I would like to put out a plea...if anyone wants to sell theirs, I am a willing buyer!

PM me please...

All the best,

Logan
You've been hit by, you've been struck by, a smooth criminal.

Singapore's Hairiest Corporate Comedy Magician!
lesterkirad
View Profile
Loyal user
west lafayette, in
227 Posts

Profile of lesterkirad
Count me in as someone who is interested in buying a used one of these as well. For anyone that has this effect, have you tried using it with these bulbs.... http://www.buylighting.com/Shatter_resistant_light_bulbs.htm ? I have seen them at the store and I was wondering if this would be a safe alternative to an exploding bulb. The only problem that I can think of is that I think these bulbs would show the point of impact. If that isn't a problem, or could be overcome, I think this would be great because it would appear that the bulb is just cracking. If you own this effect, let me know if you think this would work. Thanks in advance.
thiago
View Profile
Regular user
Brazil
179 Posts

Profile of thiago
I wish I could say more without tipping the method.
If you're a pro you can work out a safe way to do this in parlor, stage. A safety warning - don't do this close-up. And I'd not recomend eating the bulb glass or walking on it, it's just not the adequate glass for this stunts.
And Neil I'm waiting for my X-pert from hocus....
FTAMagician
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of FTAMagician
Could this be done table hopping at a restaurant???

(Just kidding!! but the thought always makes me laugh!! Of course this is the one effect you'd do AFTER the food arrives!!;)
Harvey Nerzof
View Profile
Regular user
193 Posts

Profile of Harvey Nerzof
HN Review 56: Exploding light bulb – Yigal Mesika

AD:
The performer holds a completely normal, clear lightbulb between his fingers, and suddenly the lightbulb EXPLODES AND SHATTERS into little pieces! The audience can examine the bulb both before and after the effect. Can be performed anywhere, any time. There is no movement in the performer's hands or fingers, can be done with any light bulb! Precision machined gimmick makes this easy to do. This is a strong affect your audience will remember for a long long time!

REVIEW:

Sure they will remember it for a long long time, especially if you leave the shattered pieces all over the place.

Anyway, the gimmick works 100%, and you surely know how to obtain it and ditch it secretly. It is more suitable for parlor or stage though, because of its dimension, the angles and other inherent factors.

Overall rating: ok (be careful when performing close up!!)

H.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Yigal Mesika Exploding Lightbulb (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL