The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pasteboard frolics » » No experience in flourishing, help! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Fandango
View Profile
New user
England
69 Posts

Profile of Fandango
I know this should really be in the advice section, but I felt I'd get a lot more input here...

Wow, there are sooooo many flouurish DVD's out there! I want to buy one and start learning!

I'm not asking for the best flourish DVD overall, I'm asking for the best for a beginner. It needs to be thoroughly taught as I am not great at picking things up first time. It doesn't need to make people stand up and take notice, it doesn't even need (though it pains me to say it) to have any "good" flourishes on it, I just want to learn basic stuff first and then move on.

In short, I want to start learning some better moves than the overhand shuffle, but don't know where to begin! Help me find a starting point please!
Gresk
View Profile
New user
UK
20 Posts

Profile of Gresk
Extreme Beginners is probably the best place to start from scratch Smile
artwo
View Profile
Veteran user
South England
333 Posts

Profile of artwo
I agree. Theres a mountain of stuff on there. And headless guys. Its the ultimate DVD!
Fandango
View Profile
New user
England
69 Posts

Profile of Fandango
Great. I forgot to mention though, where can I get them from?
PatrickDonovan
View Profile
New user
Pennsylvania
38 Posts

Profile of PatrickDonovan
I would look into getting The Art of Card Manipulation by Jeff McBride. That was the first flourish DVD I ever got and it really helped me to get started. McBride teaches you every basic thing and he has really detailed instructions. You can get it from http://www.llpub.com Free shipping.

Hope this helps.
Gresk
View Profile
New user
UK
20 Posts

Profile of Gresk
E
carddealer69
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of carddealer69
I agree with extreme beginnerz. You can get it at E. It's the best out and will be for a long time.
http://www.ellusionist.com/order/Devo/De......-DVD.htm
Bobby Forbes
View Profile
Inner circle
virginia beach, VA.
1167 Posts

Profile of Bobby Forbes
I second Jeff McBrides dvds
have a nice day
carddealer69
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of carddealer69
Jeff McBride, Flourishman, Q, Greg Irwin, De'vo and Daryl are all on extreme beginnerz. It starts from the very beginning and has like 80 some moves on it. It also teaches you what cards to use, how to powder them, hand exercises, and all the beginner stuffs. A one hour fanning tutorial and a basic beginners section with a real beginner. There isn't anything better. It's almost 4 hours and the price is a steal.
Gresk
View Profile
New user
UK
20 Posts

Profile of Gresk
Wow Q is on extreme beginners! and he is?

You could have just left your original post and it would have been all cool but I presume that you had forgotten to slag off all the other suggestions first? You really do bring it on yourself don't you?

Nevermind - Anyways Fandango, Extreme beginners IS a good dvd to get if your after the basics (possibly to intermediate if you count the Impossible Stack Close)

The McBride dvds are a great set too but its more geared towards the classic card manipulator with productions ect rather than the new fashionable XCMer.
rkzad
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
138 Posts

Profile of rkzad
Don't forget Jerry's Encyclopedia of Playing Card Flourishes. It's a fantatistc book. It is a little expensive, but look at the number of moves you will learn. There are so many pictures in it, which makes it easy to learn from.

http://www.flourishman.com
- richard
winstonwolf
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of winstonwolf
McBrides are a great set of DVD's - but remember McBride is more from the 'card production' school of things, ie. producing cards from no where, a lot of the techniques are based on this.

Not to say the vids don't include lots of materials we now class as flourish or XCM. But for the pure beginner into XCM or Flourish it's Extreme Beginners all the way.
Jonas
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden
1056 Posts

Profile of Jonas
I second Jerrys book, both quality and quantity. Smile
in flames
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto
1030 Posts

Profile of in flames
Jerry's book and McBrides set get my vote.

I started with Jeff's The Art of Card Manipulation DVD set. He starts off teaching you moves like the Thumb Fan and Closing a Fan, Pressure Fan, Charlier Cut ect. You can't get anymore basic than that.
Malakaneekeenai
View Profile
Regular user
138 Posts

Profile of Malakaneekeenai
Get the bible and XB and you'll be set.
"Try not to conform to the way others see you as, carve your own path"-Muah
Eyesee
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of Eyesee
The McBride videos are a three-DVD set, so maybe you should just get the first one if you're starting out. There's enough basic but impressive stuff on there to keep you busy. Then down the line if you want to stick with it, get the other two DVDs which have more advanced stuff on them. Jeff has an infectious enthusiasm which makes if fun to learn from him. Snap change, Wink change, productions, these are all fun to do.

Extreme Beginnerz is fantastic. Superb videography and the moves are shown clearly several times so you don't have to keep pausing and rewinding.
john oleson
View Profile
Loyal user
258 Posts

Profile of john oleson
Fandango ... How far have you come in your journey since the first post. Let us know how you are doing?
Demonbrn
View Profile
Veteran user
Oakley, CA
338 Posts

Profile of Demonbrn
I've been practicing The stag and The Knights cut for somtime (I've actually got the knights cut down, but the stag I may put the kibosh on because I can't seem to get it up to speed nor keep the packets together). So I'm wondering what are some good things to get started on?
macc
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of macc
I recommend xb or genesis vol1 by andrei jikh.
I started out with xb but genesis is way better in my opinion.
it´s also a beginners dvd. he teaches you the basics and that vey well and relaxed. really easy to follow.
and he also gives you information about history and stuff.
this dvd should give you a very good base.

only thing that´s in my opinion a huge plus for xb is the fanning section with jerry.

also take a look at these free basic tutorials:
http://vimeo.com/user1880818/videos
The Great Heathini
View Profile
New user
Virginia
29 Posts

Profile of The Great Heathini
I highly recommend The Complete Illustrated Book of Card Magic by Walter B. Gibson.
It is a fantastic book for serious magicians of all skill levels.
Hope this is of help,
Brent.
rjs
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of rjs
Genesis Vol 1 is excellent.
And volume 2 has just been released by Theory 11.
SimonG-97
View Profile
Veteran user
340 Posts

Profile of SimonG-97
The card magic of paul le paul?
Synatics
View Profile
Regular user
154 Posts

Profile of Synatics
I started by learning: (mainly off youtube - don't hate!)
1) The spring
2) The Fan
3) W.E.R.M
4) Symphony (from Daniel Madison's Lethal DVD)

I recommend the Lethal DVD, it's full of pretty hard stuff but it's shown slowly and I found it relatively easy to copy after a LOT of practice.
squando
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of squando
You tube has some great tutorials. I agree.
Frank
Suren
View Profile
Veteran user
Armenia
312 Posts

Profile of Suren
Mannnnnn! Trust me (I take flourishes really seiously) The best place to start is Andrei Jikhs DVD. don't buy McBride stuff he is not good at cardistry. You can buy EOPCF but I must recommend Genesis. Its better then anything for a beginner. For some advanced styff Trilogy by Dan and Dave BUck is must have for any flourisher.Both DVDs can be purchased at Theory11. And I will suggest you to register in some cardistry communities because it will be difficult to start out. For me the best place is unitedcardists.net
If you have any questions feel free to ask me.
Good luck to you!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pasteboard frolics » » No experience in flourishing, help! (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.125559 seconds, requiring 70 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[9] [7] [6] [8] [4] [1] [0] [2] [3]