The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Please Help (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

rultc
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of rultc
Hi everyone. I work for the Livingston Theatre Company at Rutgers University in New Brunswick, NJ. I was wondering if anyone here knew where we can get blueprints for how to make a Guillotine. We are doing the show The Scarlet Pimpernel at the end of the month, and need to know where we can buy the blueprints asap. I was told that some magicans know how to do it, or at the very least, know where to get the plans. If anyone helps us, We can put an ad in our playbill for you, FREE!
please email rultc@eden.rutgers.edu if you know how to help
-Timothy DiVito
Managing Director
The Livingston Theatre Company
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
It is probably cheaper and safer to buy than to build.

On the expensive side, there is a super, very real looking French Guillotine at: http://www.tilfordillusions.com/colossalGuillotine.html

Then for a bit more affordable version that will work and give you the illusion you want go to: http://www.tilfordillusions.com/frenchGuillotine.html

Hope this helps a little
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
I don't know why you want a magic illusion version as in most magic versions the important part is that the head DOESN'T come off!!!!

It would probably be easier to construct something for the stage with a metalic looking plastic blade (a *** site safer)arranged so the top of the victims head would face the audience. Someone could stand in front momentarily as a fake head is pushed into the stock part.

Just my two cents worth.

Paul.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
That is truly a great idea!

Which got me to thinking along the same theatrical lines.

You could build the prop Guillotine such that the blade can rise and drop (but not enter the stock).

Put the actor in the stock, and raise the blade. Then do a black out as the blade falls. The stage is entirely dark when you hear the blade hit the stock and have someone drop a head of cabbage by a microphone. The end. No blood, no gore and the illusion is all in the mind.

It’s just another thought.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
rultc
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of rultc
The way it was discribed to me. The Bottom of the stocks has a spring loaded section that when the blade falls..the bottom falls out, the actors head falls (with the rest of his body behind the stocks) The dasket infront is perminantly attached to the front, from the audiance, it looks like the head actually fell, however in actuality the actor just moved his head down under the basket. We just don't know the physical machanics behind all the springs and wires
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5931 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
I think a point to be considered, as served up by the blackout principle, is important. Will such a real moment, as the head falling, break the audience out the play and either shock them into momentary horror before they realize what must be, or put them into the "How'd they do that?" mode.

Neither of those would be beneficial to a true theatrical experience...unless you want to shock your audience. Smile

Truly something to think about when making such a strong illusion a pivotal part of a dramatic production.
Callin
View Profile
Regular user
Portland, Oregon
123 Posts

Profile of Callin
I think Tom makes an excellent point here. If the dropping of the guillotine ends a scene, the blackout would be the most effective. The real tension of the scene is not the head being cut off, but the suspense of the blade falling. There is no need to go past that. When the blade falls, the scene ends. The effect of the head falling will look great, but will actually put a false climax on the scene that is lesser than the intended one. However, if the audience sees the blade begin to fall and hears the results, they will complete the visual in their imagination and remember the dramatic event and not the special effect.

Wrongly placed, even a great magic effect will come across like a zipper in a monster suit.

Thanks,
Richard Green
Callin's House of Magic
The Pacific Northwest's Largest and Oldest Magic Shop. Established 1953.
Visit us at www.callinsmagic.com
Ask me about the New Jerry Andrus Movie
"A Thing of Wonder" is Available Now!
David Fletcher
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of David Fletcher
Hello, New Jersey,

Give me a call - I am in New York City. I'd be glad to help. All previous posts about the theatricality are important. David, 718-885-3038
You have to give it away to keep it.
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
re;
..the bottom falls out, the actors head falls (with the rest of his body behind the stocks)

Yes,there is a version like that, but with most the blade apparently passes through the neck without the head dropping off.

From the earlier comments,however, you will see you are going to unneccessary trouble and expense to build the genuine magic prop when the "illusion" can be created without.

Hopefully David can help you out.

Paul.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Please Help (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL