The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Altoids tin (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
snap
View Profile
Loyal user
New York, USA
218 Posts

Profile of snap
Hey guys,

a magician friend of mine started (but didn't finish) making a list of tricks that would fit in an altoids tin. he was going to have 25 in there at once, but I don't know how this'll go. I was just curious about what you guys could come up with. what things could you fit in an altoids tin (all at once) that would perform a variety of tricks?

Thanks in advance!!!
**--snap--**
kramerica2010
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of kramerica2010
Of course a tt.
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Well if its like that then some sponge balls or rabbits would fit. WHY though it seems like and odd question.
snap
View Profile
Loyal user
New York, USA
218 Posts

Profile of snap
Yeah, I know, but people who know me in depth say that I'm an odd person. Smile
**--snap--**
snap
View Profile
Loyal user
New York, USA
218 Posts

Profile of snap
Plus the fact that I like the idea of pulling out what looks like altoids and having a good 25 tricks
**--snap--**
sdmagic
View Profile
Special user
697 Posts

Profile of sdmagic
If you're going strictly for the quantity of tricks that fit into the tin, that seems more like a puzzle than anything else. If you fill it up with 100 boring magic tricks, what was the point?

A more interesting question might be - What are the 10 or 15 most entertaining and interesting effects that pack small (i.e. fit into the Altoids tin) and play big (as in visually stunning magical entertainment!) for your audience?

Here are a few effects I would place in the box:

Skinner's 3 Card Monte
Sankey's 3 Ring Circus (linking rings)
Paul Harris' NightShades
Card Warp
Sponge Balls
Mismade Bill
CMH
Presto Printo
A Mini Bike Deck
Scotch and Soda
Coins Thru Silk (Ammar)
Center Tear
Thumb Tip
Ring and String

Another idea - It might be fun to have a duplicate Altoids tin that gets switched in during your mini-magic show. This could be used for an ambitious card finale or???
smokeandmirrors
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of smokeandmirrors
That's a good idea, sd, and your right, it might be a puzzle, but 25 is just a rough estimate. Obviously I want the tricks to be interesting. Another thing I could pack in would be a couple of rubber bands, you can do loads with those. Thanks for the help, guys!!!
sdmagic
View Profile
Special user
697 Posts

Profile of sdmagic
It also might be cool to use a few Altoids for an opening effect... one in the hand, two in the pocket, or, maybe gimmick an altoid to function with a chop cup. You could also do a shrinking/growing Altoid thing if you can make a giant and mini Altoid. don't forget they also have a smaller altoid tin AND a giant tin (at Cosco)that could be worked in. Just brainstorming....
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
25 all at once is a bit much.
It would be better IMO to have a few items that you can do the most tricks with.
In other words, versatile props.

A couple of copper and silver coins.
C/S coin.
A coin [.
Swami.
Pencil stub.
IT.
Elastics.
String.
TT.
Three nested thimbles.
A piece of foil.
$2 bill.
A wad of poster tac / FunTac.

Even bridge size cards are too big for the Altoids tin I have here.
If you carry a deck you could add a double faced and red/blue backed card and double backed card and regular card w/ different back color to your wallet.

Maybe add a few paper clips to the tin and stick a BIC pen in a pocket.

I'm not going to say how many, or which tricks, you can do with these things but research will reveal that it's a lot.
snap
View Profile
Loyal user
New York, USA
218 Posts

Profile of snap
That's a good idea. my friend wanted 25, bur I think you're right, and I need a little I can do a lot with. I like your lists. smokeandmirrors, I also like your idea about putting rubber bands in it. thanks for all the help, guys!!!
**--snap--**
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1230 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
25 Sponge balls!
YVRDave
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver, BC
104 Posts

Profile of YVRDave
How about gimicking the altoids tin with a f*** so that it works as a card box
Nicholas
View Profile
Special user
I predict that I now have
900 Posts

Profile of Nicholas
In Kenton Knepper's Little Book of Wonders, he shows how to rig an altoids box to work like an Okito box. Also, as far as the original question, one of the items you could put in the box is one of those fortune telling fish that curls in your hand to reveal the fortune, etc. It takes up no space whatsoever. You could also add a velvet cord (as in Gregory Wilson's Ring Leader). Then, borrow a ring and do a 3 or 4 minute show right there. Add a balloon for Tonsil Tickler (if you can blow it up without using a pump...the pump definately won't fit into the tin). Add a sun/moon coin and do a Time Machine routine. Finally, include one burnt card for Greg Arce's Scorched (he was kind enough to describe this on the Café). With these kinds of items, you probably couldn't fit 25 in the box...but you would get a lot of show time.
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
How about mouth coils? with a warning label and over 18 on the side to play it safe.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
MagicDan21
View Profile
New user
California
51 Posts

Profile of MagicDan21
Coils, sponge balls, cards perhaps?
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1937 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
Rubber bands.
Loops.
Magnet.
Wonderland bill.
Peace.
Parson
Here kitty, kitty,kitty. Smile
+++a posse ad esse+++
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
To the many lists, I'd add: One or more balloons prepared to do the balloon swallow and maybe some unprepared balloons to make a balloon animal for a kid or a guy's date.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
sdmagic
View Profile
Special user
697 Posts

Profile of sdmagic
Anyone else out there ever consider just how much magic can be contained in an Altoids Tin? What would you include? Any ideas how to incorportate the container into closeup effects?
sdmagic
View Profile
Special user
697 Posts

Profile of sdmagic
Oops.. mis-spelled incorporate in that last post. Sorry bout that!
b
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1309 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
Speaking of odd ...my first thought was that if you put in coins and a deck of cards your going to have hundreds of tricks that are possible.

I keep a loop, color monte and various coins in my altoids tins. Linking certs is another one that I keep in there from time to time along with regular certs.
There is a lot of room in those things.
Mobius
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Altoids tin (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL