The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Utility Illusion best for new illusionist? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Hiya,
I've only one illusion in my repertoire so far. It's a fixed box-frame on a step-base that I call "The Machine". I can perform vanishes, appearances and "morphs"(changes) with it.
Would you agree with me that utility style illusion props such as changeable-top bases (universal base?),deceptive s**** (etc.)are the best solution to newcomers and those on a budget?
Any thoughts appreciated? Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
I would personally avoid using universal bases, etc. if you want to use multiple illusions in one show. I try not to repeat methods. It doesn't take people long to recognize that a base is re-used.

I think the best illusion for a person on a budget is that classic of magic, Metamorphosis. I know we've seen it thousands of times but it gets a great reaction. Please remember that the average spectator has either never seen it or only seen it once or twice. (Booking agents, cruise agents, and magicians have seen it so many times that they think its boring to an audience. Not true.)

Metamorphosis gets a great reaction, can be done in nearly any circumstance, packs easily and doesn't cost a lot. What more could you ask for?

Just make sure you give it plenty of rehearsal time.

Michael
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Very true Magicmikey, but I was thinking more along the lines of changing the effect from show to show. I doubt a newcomer would even have the manpower and infrastructure to change his base-prop in the same show.
Anyway, the Sub-trunk is a good solid classic, though you can't really do anything other than that effect with it. Not that that's bad though.
Saydean
View Profile
Loyal user
Omaha,Nebraska
206 Posts

Profile of Saydean
Pakar,
I would suggest a "3 in 1" or Black Art.
A good Black Art set up will allow you to do a multitude of illusions at a relitivley low cost.
Good Luck in your endevor.
jrabenho
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of jrabenho
Pakar,

Look into Darwin's Inexpensive illusions. He created this illusion booklet for people who are on a tight budget but still want to do a hell of a show. Just a thought...

John
Supriemer
View Profile
New user
South Bend, IN
50 Posts

Profile of Supriemer
John is right. Many of Darwin's thoughts can then be taken and improved upon to make them different and/or better. The concepts are really what the book offers, and it's up to the performer to make them their own.

Kris
"Kristopher Supriemer"

"Good things come to those who wait...but only what's left by those who hustle."
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
If you're going to use the same base or simliar part of an illusion in the same show, change something in it with a velcro attachment. Simple and sufficently different looking.
Dennis Michael
Perero
View Profile
New user
Skellefteå/Sweden
51 Posts

Profile of Perero
I'm building illusions my self, and if you don't have to much money but want to have more illusions, then its an easy way to use general bases.
I have one base for 3 illusiones but can change them easily to look different. its both money and storage to save.
(Not everyone have the skill, tools and place to build large objects eather)
No the only Magician in Sweden, but the wurst
https://perero.wixsite.com/perero
Darmoe
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
741 Posts

Profile of Darmoe
The idea of a Universal Base system has been debated forever it would seem... In the 1980s I used a portable base system developed by William Wizard (based on a Piercy Abbott Asrah Couch design)in my "Mid-Summer Night's Scream" shows... the same couch was used for the Asrah and Cremation. Dean Hankey uses the same exact system for his Shadow Box/Crystal Casket. We have also put Thurston styled Sawings on it and a plethora of other "uppers". The "trick" is (no pun intended) to make the base trim out and look different each time it is used... too, you must space effects... keep some distance between when the audience sees the "table" etc.

The essence behind this concept is was inspired the "Mutli-F/X UT Tables" put out by Creative Illusions a few years back using the Harrary-Whitaker Table)... Unlike the Wizard Couch, the H&W Table method has some major angle problems, is more difficult to set up, transport, etc. and too, it is not nearly as flexible in application.

Yes, the Darwin book is loaded with solid and proven routines -- USE IT!

Another thing to consider when you look at using a base over and over again in your show... think about Zimmerman loading methods adn other such suspension techniques that help take the heat off the base.
"I firmly believe that of all the Arts and Crafts of Mentalism, there is nothing more satisfying than one who is a first-class Reader. It is the ultimate in Mentalism..." - Tony Corinda * 13 Steps To Mentalism
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Wow,
Thanks a lot guys for all the great advice! Really helped in putting things into perspective! Will get Darwin's book soon! Thanks again!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Utility Illusion best for new illusionist? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL