The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Bow Sawing - Owen vs. Wellington (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Misty Lee
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of Misty Lee
*waving* Hi, everybody!

I'm going to purchase a sawing for an upcoming corporate event. After researching several models, I'm torn between these two - the Owen Bow Sawing and the Wellington Executive Sawing. The fella I'll be sawing is 6'2", with a 38" waist. I've researched and am familiar with the cost of both, but am wondering about the advantages and drawbacks of each illusion. Deceptively, ease of use, portability, and options in spectator size are all issues here.

Also: Does anybody know if the Wellington version saws balsa like the Owen one does?

Any help and advice will be most appreciated. Thanks so much!
http://www.mistylee.com

Whoever said the hand is quicker than the eye never tried rolling the two down a ramp.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
The Wellington model will do everything the Owens model will. Both are well built props. The Wellington unit is a little more friendly against the accumulation of sawdust. The Owens unit is a little more compact as the blade does not look as big.

I worked with the Owen unit with Blackstone and it is a good unit. I have looked at the Wellington unit also. If I had the need, I would probably buy the Wellington since the price is considerably less.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1673 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
Hi Misty .. both props are well made and thought out. The Wellington has some new improvements that are just awesome. The Owen model is a work of art .. the "secret stuff" is just as amazing as the illusion itself. If you have questions about the illusion you should give them a call .. I know Bill at Wellington has been great to deal with. I have a couple of his props in my show. You can't go wrong with either unit .. but cost may be something to consider. Hope that helps ..

Steve
gulamerian
View Profile
Special user
581 Posts

Profile of gulamerian
My personal choice would be the Wellington version. It is much more user friendly. No fuss, no muss.
Townsend1
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of Townsend1
While they are both excellent, I also prefer the Wellington model.
Misty Lee
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of Misty Lee
Thanks so much, fellas. On your advice and all my research, I think the Wellington will serve us VERY well - especially for this particular venue. Made the purchase this afternoon, and anxiously await its arrival (scheduled for early next week). Bill was so nice - he even offered to fire over the instructions via fax, so I could familiarize myself with them immediately (rather than waiting until the illusion arrives).

Although I purchased the Wellington Bow Saw, I DO have to say that Allen (the fella who's running Owen now) is a WONDERFUL human being, and I wouldn't think twice about dropping several grand on a custom made illusion from him. Everything they do there is worth every penny you spend.

It's so amazing what can happen when genius and artist collide - how lucky we are to have two talented fellas like these in our midst!

Smooches and gratitude to all of you,
Misty

Whoever said the hand is quicker than the eye never tried rolling the two down a ramp.
gulamerian
View Profile
Special user
581 Posts

Profile of gulamerian
You are right. Owen does make some great illusions.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Allen is Alan Zagorsky who is Les Smith's son in law. Both he and Bill Smelack are great guys.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Misty Lee
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of Misty Lee
Thanks for the spelling correction, Richard. I realized my error when glancing at Alan's business card yesterday, and reddened in the face a bit. Smile

Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
That's okay, Misty. Richard misspelled Bill's name (Wellington). It's Schmeelk. Smile
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Thanks Mike....A computer may make it easier to write but it is just as hard to think as ever.

Richard
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
I know what you mean!

Michael
LostSoul
View Profile
Regular user
Dave
148 Posts

Profile of LostSoul
Quote:
On 2005-11-30 21:57, hugmagic wrote:
Thanks Mike....A computer may make it easier to write but it is just as hard to think as ever.

Richard

Now I would say a computer just makes it easier to type, writing is just as hard as ever!

Dave
James Adamson
View Profile
Special user
Deatsville - Holtville - Slapout, AL
945 Posts

Profile of James Adamson
I know this is off subject but if you would just use this link:

http://toolbar.google.com/

There is a toolbar that will do a spellcheck on all of your messages. A FireFox browser version is also available.

This is the spellchecker recommended to be used by the Staff Grammar Hosts.

James Adamson
Be remembered for performing what looks like MAGIC, not skill.
socalmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
267 Posts

Profile of socalmagic
I just purchased and received the Executive Sawing today. It is very clever, and 100 times easier than the Jim Sommers sawing that I currently own (which is for sale if anyone is interested). It is the closest thing to a self-working illusion that I have ever seen. Highly recommended.

Brock Edwards
boboangus
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of boboangus
Hi Brock
Could you forward addtional information on the jim sommers sawing?
Misty Lee
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of Misty Lee
Fellas, I gotta tell ya - the Wellington is WONDERFUL. Used it to saw the CEO of Chrysler in half on Thursday, and even HE (who was trying to sit up to 'catch any gimmicks') was baffled.

Speaking of gimmicks on this item, I have a hilarious 'magicians only' story to relate regarding what happened during the performance, but won't post it because these forums pop up on google searches. If you'd like to read it please PM me and I'll send it along.

Thanks again for all your help - I am absolutely thrilled.

Cheers!
Misty

Don
View Profile
Loyal user
216 Posts

Profile of Don
The Owen Magic Supreme Bow Saw works flawlessly and All details have been worked out.

Don
Eyes of Darkness
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of Eyes of Darkness
Is there footage of the Wellington Bow Saw in action?
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Didn't Harbin with Jack Hughes invent this? I had one made by Abbott's about 50 years ago.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Bow Sawing - Owen vs. Wellington (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL