The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Rope for a stage (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicjames798
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of magicjames798
I was wondering if any of you have tried this or have any ideas about this. When I perform at a kids show I put a ring of rope down on the floor for a simple stage. I explain it's the magic circle and this keeps the kids at the perfect distance from the illusions and tricks. Has anyone used this before.
Thanks.
For those who believe no explanation is necessary, for those who do not none will suffice.
Frank Simpson
View Profile
Special user
SW Montana
883 Posts

Profile of Frank Simpson
Establishing a barrier is an excellent idea, and makes for a more pleasurable show for everyone.

Montana Shakepeare in the Parks uses a series of stakes about 10"h with a rope threaded through them in a very similar manner. Works like a charm.

I used to do street performances with a magic/juggling troup and we would begin our shows with me standing at the center delivering the opening call to the show, while two others unicycled around the area we wanted to define as our "stage". The crowd would gather to where their circle was, and when a sufficient crowd had gathered we would begin the show. We'd do about a 20 minute show, and the crowd always stayed right at the edge of that initially defined space.
magicjames798
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of magicjames798
Thanks! I'm probably going to get colored electrical tape and every foot or so tape some colored rings on to give it some appeal for kids shows and street performances.
For those who believe no explanation is necessary, for those who do not none will suffice.
Byron
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of Byron
I use a rope on the floor as well as often the children are seated on the floor.
I tell them that it is a magic rope and if anyone crosses over, the magic show will stop. This is keep them at a safe distance in terms of themselves and my props as well.
The hand may be quicker than the eye,
But the heart sees all!
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1322 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
A rope like that is a great way to do some crowd-control...I have had the distinct pleasure of a kid show steering totally out of control. It was like a natural disaster...

A friend of mine uses a rope barrier and he always says the magic will stop working if someone steps over the rope uninvited. When an assistant is needed, he/she is always invited and he/she gets a funny visitor patch to wear and to keep as well. My friend had to change a few things though...one kid was so smart that when he had been there and was wearing the patch, he figured the magic wont stop since he's got the patch allready...so these days the magic visitor patches are of disposable variety. Smile
Sent from my Typewriter
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1715 Posts

Profile of Amazing Magic Co
Rope is a great way to do that. I use some flat skateboarding cones that I picked up in Dicks Sporting Goods.
ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
Rope is great at kid shows because if they step over it you can tie them up or hang them with right then!
"What's your drug?" she asked. "Hope" he said, "The most addicting one of all."
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
Barry Mitchell sells an octagon shaped piece of carpet with two little feet painted on in white. Not only does it keep them placed it's funny. You can say, "Stand right here in my feet ... not my feet, these feet."

John
DeeGood
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of DeeGood
I think it's not just an excellent idea, but a necessary measure also. I used hanging ropes from Crowdcontrolwarehouse during some street performances, and talking about kids they are perfect as a crowd control tool, they're safe and look rather friendly compared to other methods.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Rope for a stage (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL