The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Rice orange checkers history (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

cardone
View Profile
Special user
860 Posts

Profile of cardone
Anyone know the history of this effect?.....Was the Okito checker cabinet first ?
This is my favorite tube type trick and started to think about who what where when why and how this became a classic.......... Thanks, Cardone
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
I believe that the Okito checker Cabinet was first and that the so-called classic Orange Rice Checker Cylinders are the "poor mans" version of the trick.
There is a chapter in Greater Magic on the history of the Okito Checker Cabinet.
I believe one of the Hoffman books details a set of cones that is used to transpose a quantity of rice or bran and an orange so perhaps this trick combined with the Okito checker Cabinet was the impetus for the Orange Rice Checker Cylinders we have today.
Does anyone still perform this trick?
I acquired an old set a couple of years ago. I refinished them and created a routine which I've performed a few times. When I performed it at our local club and a small regional convention several people came upo to me to say that they had often seen this trick in catalogues but had never seen anyone perform it.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
bcookmagic
View Profile
Elite user
seattle wa
472 Posts

Profile of bcookmagic
Why be modest Payne....you won 1st place performing that effect. Folks, it looked great! Brian
If your not having fun doing what your doing....dont do it!
WWW.BRIANCOOKMAGIC.COM
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
I have seen Spellbinder doing a variation on this effect that he created as a demonstration of Wizard magic. He replaced the orange with a crystal ball, the rice was sand from an hourglass (representing time) and the checkers were not called checkers, but had the signs of the zodiac on them (there were 12 of them in the stack). If anyone is interested, you can go to the Magic Nook Forum and ask him to describe his routine in more detail.
gulamerian
View Profile
Special user
581 Posts

Profile of gulamerian
I do not know the history, however we have been performing it for more than 20 years. It's a great piece.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
David Seebach has a HUGE custom-made, one-of-a-kind set made by Owen's. It's beautiful.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Thayer originally offered the "Rice and Checker Effect" as a step-up or alternative to their catalog item " Here, There, or Where" which was supplied with a bottle instead of a stack of checkers...
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
We did it in spook shows over 50 years ago (Francisco's Midnight Show) and it went great using rice, and orange and a bottle from a passe set.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1850 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Max Howard has a great routine using Rice, Orange, and Checkers. I believe he has it in his video.
radamwarner
View Profile
Regular user
Georgia
170 Posts

Profile of radamwarner
I find the Rice, Orange and Checkers to be a classic that should be performed, if anything, for the beauty of the props. Does anyone have any information regarding how the effect got its name? I always found the items used-an orange, rice and checkers- a quirky mix of items.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
The combination of rice, an orange, and a stack of checkers was surely devised in conjunction with a story that would have accompanied it, but also likely due to the fact that the objects lent themselves appropriate based upon methods devised. It's a good question. Thayer was likely the first to market the effect as ROC, and likely as an amalgam of previous tricks, as noted by others above. Thayer also marketed a lesser known version that used a bottle in place of one of the three items. I'll dig that info up and report back later.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Quote:
On Aug 17, 2015, Michael Baker wrote:
... Thayer also marketed a lesser known version that used a bottle in place of one of the three items. I'll dig that info up and report back later.

See my post above Smile Is that what you were referencing, Michael?

Julie
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On Aug 17, 2015, Julie wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 17, 2015, Michael Baker wrote:
... Thayer also marketed a lesser known version that used a bottle in place of one of the three items. I'll dig that info up and report back later.

See my post above Smile Is that what you were referencing, Michael?

Julie

Yes! Forgive my overlooking that.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
radamwarner
View Profile
Regular user
Georgia
170 Posts

Profile of radamwarner
Mak Magic created their own their own version for us poorer folks:)Any opinions about this set?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Aug 20, 2015, radamwarner wrote:
Mak Magic created their own their own version for us poorer folks:)Any opinions about this set?

It works!
radamwarner
View Profile
Regular user
Georgia
170 Posts

Profile of radamwarner
If anything, the props do add a presence to the stage.
gatorjim
View Profile
New user
Fayetteville, TN
53 Posts

Profile of gatorjim
I have had ROC for over 30 years, and I love performing this effect. With a little appropriate music in the background I perform ROC with nary a word being said. Many people had never seen it performed and mention that to me after my show was completed. IMO, it's a classic effect, beautiful in it's simplicity but also astounding to the audience.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Rice orange checkers history (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL