The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The November 2002 entrée: Dean Dill » » Deans Box........ » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2135 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
As you can see from some of the other forums, I am a big fan and supporter. What advice would you give to others, that have developed some of these types of products on their own, In bringing them to market?

Also on your site the box apears to be endorsed by Jesus. I thought it was an obvious comedy bit, but my wife became extremely offended by the quote, and she doesn't want me to purchase anymore of your products. What should I tell her?
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
Scott Ocheltree
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of Scott Ocheltree
I would enjoy reading Mr. Dill's comment on this as well, but I think your wife should lighten up.

It is my understanding (and please, Mr. Dill, correct me if I am wrong) that Dean Dill is a Christian who is eager to share his faith with others. In fact, he sells a Gospel magic trick on his website called
"The Cross".

For those not familiar with the
"endorsement" KingStardog is referring to, on the side of the carton Dean's Box comes in, and on Mr. Dill's website, are a list of endorsements. At the end of this list is the following quote from the King James Version of The Bible:

"And what I say unto you I say unto all, Watch." - Jesus (Mark 13:37)

This is the last line of the chapter in which Jesus answers His disciple's questions regarding the fullfillment of prophecy and the end of the world.

I have read other threads on this website in which opposing viewpoints regarding magic and Christianity have been raised, and this always seems to get tempers flairing. I would encourage tolerance on the part of everyone.

While I am not a Christian, I think that most Christans believe God created us in His image. If this is true, than He must have a sense of humor (or how could we have one?). I think the quote is simply a very clever way of referencing the Bible in a secular context.

I would actually be more interested in knowing if Mr. Dill intends to publish any additional material for the Box. There have been some interesting ideas posted here on The Magic Café.
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2135 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
Oh yes, I didn't see it as bad, It just seemed to hit her the wrong way at the time.
BTW I'm going to order what I like regardless.

I am very interested in hearing if additional effects are coming for the box as well, maybe a couple of add on kits would be cool.

My votes:
kit1 Mirror box/black art add on kit.
kit2 Moving magnetic floor kit for switching places of items and pk/IT and ITR combo.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
Dean Dill
View Profile
V.I.P.
248 Posts

Profile of Dean Dill
I can understand how some people feel about certain things concerning Jesus and all. She has the right to feel that way, just as I have the right to give God the credit. I was sort of thanking him for giving me such a wonderful gift. The verse sort of fit in my mind. I didn't mean to offend anyone.

I also appreciated Scott's comments. Very insightful for someone who is not a Christian. Thanks Scott for understanding.

As far as publishing material for the Box, I am putting together some of the new ideas that not only I, but many others have sent me. So many clever ideas. Even though some of the methods are new, I would not suggest complicating the effect. I feel it is perfect the way it is. Too many links and unlinks just makes for a clever puzzle. We don't want that. The simple is always better.

People tell me all the time that It must be magic because you "Just can't do that" in their words. I love hearing that. Thanks for the questions guys.
Dean
Scott Ocheltree
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

I agree that the presentation of the Box should not be made overly complex. What I was wondering about was possible other applications of the Box as it presently exists. On another thread regarding the Box, one user mentioned he uses the box with an Invisible Deck - putting the cards into the box to have the "ghost" turn the chosen card over.

I also saw someone ask you here about other handlings you might have to throw off those that are in the know. These are the types of ideas I would be interested in. Also, just want to say how pleased I am with mine. It is the nicest magic prop I have ever purchased. It is truly a beautiful object.
Victor Brisbin
View Profile
Elite user
Washington, DC
428 Posts

Profile of Victor Brisbin
Quote:
On 2002-11-13 11:52, KingStardog wrote:
What advice would you give to others, that have developed some of these types of products on their own, In bringing them to market?

Also on your site the box apears to be endorsed by Jesus. I thought it was an obvious comedy bit, but my wife became extremely offended by the quote, and she doesn't want me to purchase anymore of your products. What should I tell her?

Let me get this straight, you let your wife look at a magic website? Don't you know that's how wives find out how much we spend?!? Smile

Seriously, though, I'm curious to know what you mean by developing "these types of products," to bring to market? Do you mean high quality/high ticket items, or items similar to those already on the market? I've done some work in the patent search field (patents tend to be ignored by magicians, unfortunately). Please consider posting a description of your effects in the "I Dare You" area here. There are a number of magical inventors and thinkers, including Mr. Dill, I'm sure, who can point you in the right direction.
Cordially,
VB
"It is better to practice a little than talk a lot." - Muso Kokushi
Dean Dill
View Profile
V.I.P.
248 Posts

Profile of Dean Dill
Scott, if you want to have some fun with the box, try this. After you have done the Box let's say for a small group of people. The trick is over and everyone has inspected the box to their hearts content.

I will put the Box aside and at the same time load a lemon or an orange through the curtains. I let it sit for a beat or two and say, lets play a game of Choice. So I write some objects on a piece of paper, like Lemon, Watch, Pencil, Glass, $100 dollar bill, Diamond ring etc. Then do your favorite version of Magicians Choice and force the lemon.

If they are truly convinced that the choice was fair the end will kill em. So they choose the Lemon. You say, "what you choose is what you get." Open the front door of the box and sitting there in the middle of the box is a lemon. I am telling you, the people freak. All they can talk about is where did that lemon come from. They think it materializes within the Box.

It kills 'em when they think they could have chosen, the $100 or the watch or the ring or whatever. They feel like the ring would have appeared in the Box had they chosen it. It is the concept that I like. Not just the trick itself. Try it, it's fun. Just an idea. In fact you could even have a card selected earlier in the show and have it show up on the lemon too.
JonnyA
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of JonnyA
Could anyone please give a description of the Box effect. I checked the website, but I couldn't find a description of the effect. I'm just curious as to what all of the hype is about.

Also, Dean, just wanted to say that your magic is pretty darn unbelieveable and extremely creative. It amazes me how one person can come up with such a myriad of incredible effects, and make them workable.

Jon
Dean Dill
View Profile
V.I.P.
248 Posts

Profile of Dean Dill
Jon go to my web site at http://www.deandill.com and read the Michael Close review of Dean's Box. Go to products, then click on the picture of the Box. The review is there. He explains the effect better than I can. Dean
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Manager
Northern California - United States
4399 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
I have to agree that Dean's Box is a great piece of magic, not only in quality and workmanship, but it is just plain diabolical. When I first saw Dean present this a couple of years ago, it made me remember why I got into magic to begin with. It was very exciting! I was fooled bad, and loved every minute of it. Smile

Then, while in San Diego, Dean made sure I went home with one, that alone was worth the trip. And by the way, the idea of using the lemon, really is a good one. I watched Dean pull that on several people, who had no clue as to how a lemon appeared inside. Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
Scott Ocheltree
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Dean,
Thanks for the idea. That is a sweet one. That's the kind of ideas for it that I would be interested in seeing, Maybe a compilation of bits like that, that extend the application of the Box without adding any gimmickry to it. Just building the mystery of what is going on inside it.
I know some people don't like to use props too much, prefering instead to emphasize that they are who is doing the magic. But the Box is so beautifully innocent that I love presenting it as a truly "Magic Box". I like people to believe that I have special abilities or amazing skills, but I also like the idea of exhibiting a truly magical artifact, and the Box is beautiful one!
Dean Dill
View Profile
V.I.P.
248 Posts

Profile of Dean Dill
Thanks for the great thoughts Scott. Dean
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The November 2002 entrée: Dean Dill » » Deans Box........ » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.090599 seconds, requiring 40 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [5] [1] [7] [3] [0] [2] [0] [8]