The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The November 2002 entrée: Dean Dill » » Nervous » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Gryphon
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of Gryphon
Before a show, what are your suggestions on conquering shaky hands and nervousness?
Dean Dill
View Profile
1947 - 2015
248 Posts

Profile of Dean Dill
Gryphon, confidence is the best answer, and time. It is normal to feel that way. We have all gone through it. The more you perform the better it gets. I have actually concentrated on my hands in performance and made them stop shaking. Relaxation helps also. Remember what works for some may not work for others. It is such a personal thing. Try focusing on one thing at a time. And know exactly what you are going to do and say. Dean Dill
Gryphon
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of Gryphon
Thank you so much for your reply. Your answer is much better than others I have recieved and I will try it out.

Gryphon
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Gryphon, I think I'm naturally excitable when I'm.... well, excited Smile

I have a very laid-back manner but even my voice can get shakey. It's less from nerves and more from excitement.

I've found that there are perfect times for slight pauses where you drop your hands, and exhale and it really works. I used to do this before doing a double-lift all the time and it helped tremendously. It was disappointing to be able to do flawless double-lifts until it came time to perform.

Dean is right about it taking time. Until that time comes, take little moments during performance and ....relax your body and especially your hands.

It works.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Lonnie Dilan
View Profile
Special user
Canyon Country, California
823 Posts

Profile of Lonnie Dilan
Great Points,

I used to be a wreck when I did stuff for people. I finally learned to breath while I was performing. That fixed everything. Breath and just have a good time. That took me about 3 years to figure out though....
John Palazzo
View Profile
Regular user
Boston
136 Posts

Profile of John Palazzo
Very good advice all around. Breath and relax.

Another suggestion is not to focus on the idea that you are performing for an audience, but rather focus on the idea that you are sharing your magic with a group of friends or new acquaintances. Don't think "perform", think "share". That should help make what you do more intimate and fun.

I'm sure Dean's "Intimate Miracles" book isn't titled that way by accident. Smile

John
PM me if you want to chat sometime.
Dean Dill
View Profile
1947 - 2015
248 Posts

Profile of Dean Dill
Great points John, Dean
Michael_MacDonald
View Profile
1964 - 2016
Washington
2034 Posts

Profile of Michael_MacDonald
Befor setting out on my table hopping rounds, I take 20 mins. to streatch my hands, relaxing every muscle in them, focusing on how they feel, moving from stretching to rotating movments to re-introduce fluidity.
this has become such a ritual for me to focus this way.
it really does relax me for the rest of my performances.
aside from just warming up my hands on cold nights.
its kinda my way to meditate
Dean Dill
View Profile
1947 - 2015
248 Posts

Profile of Dean Dill
Great thoughts Michael. Thanks for sharing, Dean
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The November 2002 entrée: Dean Dill » » Nervous » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL