The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Lou Leventhal's Ring in Racquetball -- Review (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I realize there are a few posts in another thread about this, but they are not a review, even though Lou, himself has answered a number of questions about it there.

Molloy Magic was kind enough to send me a set to inspect, with the idea of a review in mind. So, here it is:

I received the Ring in Racquetball a couple of days before Christmas. Our house was in turmoil from impending visits by relatives and I was finishing up Borodin's book, so I asked Lou if I could hold off until I could devote real quality time to the review. He said this would be okay.

Well, I opened the big box this evening. I finally had a chance to look at the props and watch the DVD.

Here are my impressions.

The first thing I was struck by was how well everything was packed. That's usually a good indication that care has been taken in the production of the prop.

Next, I opened the box that contained the outer box. I immediately noticed that the box has a satin finish. The average collector won't understand this. Some performers won't either. But to me, it indicated a working knowledge of the stage. Glossy props produce glare. Satin finishes look normal -- whatever that is! Also, the box is sturdily built, but not overbuilt. It has a nice weight, but it's not so heavy that it takes a weightlifter to work with it.

Then I looked at the "little box of goodies." I figured that they must contain all the items I need to do the routine (other than a table), because there was a little hammer, two knives, lots of rubber bands, glitter and pay envelopes. A combination like that means someone has an intention of wreaking entertainment on people. Ring + hammer + glitter = wicked humor.

Finally, I opened the last box. I saw the cage -- very well made, and a good contrast to the outer box, as well as the inner box -- nice blend with the outer box. I noticed there were two racquetballs and a package containing a DVD, a set of instructions and a large black cloth. Again, indications of good thinking. Also, the quality of the pieces cannot be overemphasized. This is all extremely well-made stuff, as well it should be.

So, I watched the DVD. This is very well produced. It leaves NOTHING to the imagination. The instructions, themselves, are given down to the tiniest detail. Seeing two different performances under widely differing conditions, as well as how the spectator needs to be managed means that the first time a person tries to do the routine, the chances of absolute success are about 99%. It will require rehearsal, but there is nothing at all difficult in the routine.

I especially like the fact that the racquetball is apparently inspected before the routine starts. The vanish of the ring does not require fire. This is a big no-no in a lot of venues. But the vanish has the same impact, if you will pardon the play on words as burning a ring normally would -- more actually, because of the glitter gag.

The price tag may scare a few people away. This is as it should be. This is not something that you want everyone to be doing. But having built wooden props in the past, and knowing what goes into it, I can say that the price tag is quite reasonable. A working pro will amortize this quickly.

The routine, itself, shows a lot of critical thinking and what some people call "flight time." If I were not semi-retired, I would purchase this in a heartbeat.

Lou has a winner here with this one!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
illusions & reality
View Profile
Special user
Saskatoon, SK, CANADA
859 Posts

Profile of illusions & reality
Bill,

Thank you so much for the kind words. I truly respect and appreciate your opinion.

Although this is my creation, a lot of the credit for the beauty of this prop needs to go to Doug Malloy of Malloy Modern Magic. He is a performer and a craftsman and truly cares about his work. Doug & Carol Malloy are a joy to work with, and I am grateful that Doug took this project on. If I ever decide to release another item to the magic community, I hope that I can partner with them again. What great people.

Lou
illusions & reality
View Profile
Special user
Saskatoon, SK, CANADA
859 Posts

Check out what James Riser has to say as well on the Genii forum. I am very thankful for the encouraging reviews so far! Smile

Lou

http://geniimagazine.com/forum/cgi-bin/u......6#000002
TheAmazingSteveo
View Profile
Inner circle
1578 Posts

Profile of TheAmazingSteveo
Thank you very much for the excellent review!
illusions & reality
View Profile
Special user
Saskatoon, SK, CANADA
859 Posts

My pleasure!

Lou
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
4306 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
I recently received Mr. Rosenthal's Ring in Racquetball and I can honestly say that it is the best and most practical ring in impossible locations I have purchased.

The effect is simple and direct. A racquetball is tossed out into the audience to select a participant. The spectator goes onto the statge with the racquetball. The racquetball is given back to the performer who briefly covers the ball with a handsome cloth and the racquetball is vanished. A ring is borrowed from a spectator and is vanished. On the performer's table the entire time is an elegant looking finished wood box. The outer box is opened and inside is a beautiful wood cage with brass bars. The cage is opened and a smaller box with rubber bands wrapped it is taken out. When the smaller box is opened a racquetball is taken out. The racquetball is cut open with a knife and there inside the racquetball is the spectator's ring.

All of the props which includes the outer box and the cage, are all beautifully made. They can easily be proudly displayed on a collector's shelf but a working professional would be equally proud to use them. In fact, even though the props are beautifully made by Malloy Magic, they were made to be used.

A performer can used this effect on stage, in a parlour setting and even close-up. There are no angle issues to be concerned about. The effect can be performed completely surrounded. Even the spectator who is standing next to the performer will not see any thing suspicious. It is also important to note that the spectator's ring actually ends up inside the racquetball that is inside the boxes. There are no swithces of racquetballs or rings. The spectator can keep the halves of the racquetball after the routine. In fact, Mr. Rosenthal recommends this so as to give the specattor a keep sake.

Mr. Rosenthal provides everything needed to perform this excellent and unique routine including a professionally made insttructional and performance DVD.

While the props are expensive, they are not expensive considering what you receive. What you receive are beautiful, elegant props, a unique and entertaining routine that has been tested, refined and used by Mr. Rosenthal for many, many years.

I would suggest that you purchase the ATM case for the additional fee to protect your investment.

The effect is powerful. The routine is unique and entertaining. The props are gorgeous. The method simple, direct, and clever. I highly recommend this effect.

Best regards,

Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
4306 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
N my review I incorrectly stated Lou's last name as Rosenthal when it is actually Leventhal. In any case, Mr. Lou Leventhal's Ring in Raquetball is beautifully made with a very unique and entertaining routine. I own several nest of boxes including Mr. Richard Gerlitz's now unavailable Butterfly Boxes. While Mr. Gerlitz's Butterfly Boxes are truly beautiful and mechanically perfect, I would only perform with it in a limited venue and it is not something that I would take on a regular basis to a formal show due to the angle issues and due to the fragile nature of the boxes. However, Mr. Leventhal's Ring in Racquetball is not only beautifully made but built to peform on a regular basis in any venue without regard to angle issues.

Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
illusions & reality
View Profile
Special user
Saskatoon, SK, CANADA
859 Posts

Hi Michael,

I am very happy to hear that you are pleased with my Ring in Racquetball trick. You were one of the first to purchase it and I know that you hadn't seen it other than in ads and on the website. Thanks for taking the risk!

Thank you also for your kind review of my Ring in Racquetball trick. Everyone who has seen or purchased it has been very complimentary. We wanted our first release to the magic community to be one that would be beautiful, well-made, unique and fool-proof for the professional performer. We also wanted a piece designed to look great on a collector's shelf. Doug Malloy has helped this become a reality. I am committed to releasing only items that I use in my own show and that I am willing to stand behind. This trick will remain in limited supply.

As you know from my e-mails to you, I have been quite ill for almost 6 weeks, but I'm on the mend. I look forward to being in a vertical position! One can watch only so many re-runs of CSI!

Thanks again. I look forward to being in touch soon!

Lou Leventhal
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
4306 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Lou,

Thank you for your email. I am glad you are feeling better. I am looking forward for your future routines releases. I am sure that they will be of the same high quality as your Ring in Racquetball.

Best wishes,

Michael

P.S. Try some Law & Order re-runs for a change.
—Hakim, Loreweaver
illusions & reality
View Profile
Special user
Saskatoon, SK, CANADA
859 Posts

I continue to be grateful for the wonderful responses to my Ring in Racquetball Trick, like the unsolicited link below. http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/searc......=4494865

The higher price is keeping it fairly exclusive, but the reason for the high cost is the fact that each piece is handmade of quality hardwoods and brass. The reviews have been 100% positive and people are delighted with the trick. Everyone who has purchased or reviewed this trick has commented on the fairness of the price for the quality of workmanship, impact of the effect and ease of performance. As of now, we have only produced an initial run of 25 units, and there is a good chance we won't do anymore because of the escalating cost of materials. At most, we will do another run of 25, making this a very valuable collector's piece as well.

Due to the need for development of new projects, we are selling the remaining few with free shipping in North America through the end of March. Foreign orders will receive a $100 discount on overseas shipping.

Please don't hesitate to PM me with any questions you might have.

Lou Leventhal
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Lou Leventhal's Ring in Racquetball -- Review (1 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL