The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Rope size for Professor's Nightmare (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Motley Mage
View Profile
Special user
572 Posts

Profile of Motley Mage
Dbolan. Your math is right; the middle piece would have to be 28 in this set... Probably a typo. Algebraically, M= 1/2 L + 1/2 S or if you prefer (L + S)/2
vampiro
View Profile
Loyal user
Atlanta
240 Posts

Profile of vampiro
The length of the medium piece, which determines the length of the other pieces, might depend on how close up you are doing the trick.
If you are doing it for people fairly close to you (within 3-5 feet) you either have to do the stretching move quickly, or else it would be better to have the middle rope a little smaller than you would for a state show, so that the spectators cannot see the movements of the long rope for too long (during the stretching move). At least that is what I would consider.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
You should learn the method where you start with one long rope, and cut the pieces you need on the fly. You can see that in Pop Haydn's teach-in.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Quote:
On 2011-04-09 15:04, juliusmagic wrote:
For a total 96+" piece of rope (to allow for trimming):
Long = 52"
Medium = 32"
Short = 12"

Thank you...appreciated
Skilless
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of Skilless
Quote:
On Jan 11, 2006, Cpontz wrote:
Slydini has a method in which he starts doing the cut and restored rope, then goes right into the professor's nightmare. It is a little complicated, but you divide the rope into three, then do a move with the end of the rope. When you then cut the ropes, it looks like three equal ropes when in fact there are three different sized rope. It is in his book and well worth looking up and learning.

Craig

Yes. On YouTube I saw a video of the inimitable Slydini performing that on the Dick Cavett show. Paul Green teaches a similar technique in his "In the Trenches" disk. I recommend the disk because in it Paul teaches not just tricks but complete card, rope, coin, and sponge routines and more.
Skilless
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of Skilless
Quote:
On Jan 15, 2006, PaulGreen wrote:
Hi everyone,

On my "In the Trenches" DVD, I perform the C & R rope and then go into the Prof.'s Nitemare. I cut the lengths during that performance.

Pete Biro showed me his method and it works well. I also researched the Slydini method and it, too, works well.

I will be interested in Bob Sanders' DVD when it is released.

Enjoy the search.

Regards,

Paul Green

Hi Paul! Is there a name for the version of the PNM you like to perform?
murf
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, TX
264 Posts

Profile of murf
Hey Bob, how's that DVD coming along?

Murf
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On Jan 15, 2006, PaulGreen wrote:
Hi everyone,
On my "In the Trenches" DVD, I perform the C & R rope and then go into the Prof.'s Nitemare. I cut the lengths during that performance.
Paul Green

I like this routine a lot. Although I feel it is Blasphemy to say, I kind of like John Guastaferro's routine from his 1st Penguin Lecture, especially because it adds a wonderful ring and rope phase. But do not worry Paul, you are still my hero overall Smile
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
martonikus
View Profile
Regular user
167 Posts

Profile of martonikus
The length of the middle piece needs to be reduced a little, the amount depending on the size (diameter) of the rope. Given the method, the reason for this should be clear. Also, the thicker the rope, the longer the short piece needs to be. Nine to twelve inches is a good range. Aside from these considerations, the middle is half the sum of the others.

Routines that begin with cutting the rope produce good results for the cut lengths, nearly automatically.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Rope size for Professor's Nightmare (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL