The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Best Ring and Rope routines (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
DaiBato
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of DaiBato
So what are the best Ring and Rope routines in print?

Dai Bato
reese
View Profile
Special user
976 Posts

Profile of reese
Get "Ring Leader" by Gregory Wilson. A video from years ago, it's just out on dvd. It has a full routine and many additional, killer moves. I use the routine all the time. It's great! Highly recommended.
vsha2
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of vsha2
Definately another vote for Ring Leader. It's quite a long routine, and very commercial
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
23793 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Scott Guinn teaches one as a bonus on his "Great Scott" DVD. Jeff McBride shows a routine on his Commando Act DVD.
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7291 Posts

Profile of paisa23
I have Jay Scott Berry's routine but have yet to actually learn it. It looks wonderful. Also have Ring Leader on wish list.
Conus
View Profile
Special user
607 Posts

Profile of Conus
I second Guinn's Ring and Rope routine as a good base for building your own routine. It also appears in his "Great Scott" book.

(Note: Gregg Wilson's "Ring Leader" = finger ring and string)
elgranmago
View Profile
Veteran user
362 Posts

Profile of elgranmago
Not sure if it´s in print, but on DVD have a look at the Bracelet and Rope Routine (Tony Anverdi, Jack Chanin, Rick Johnsson, Flip, Daryl) which appears in Daryl´s Fooler Doolers Series, Volume 3.

It´s simply beautiful.

José.
"It´s kind of fun to do the impossible". Walt Disney
Pete Biro
View Profile
V.I.P.
18565 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
David Williamson's is the best "I HAVE SEEN" there may be others, but his ain't bad.

Then again, as I preach, learn some basics and make up your own.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2484 Posts

Profile of John Long
Some clarification may be needed; are you interested in finger ring and rope, or 3" or larger ring and rope effects?

I think I've heard Scott Guinn say his effects were for the larger rings(3" or larger), but check with him, he's on the Café.

If you want the finger ring magic, Wilson's Ring Leader is full of moves. He gives his ~5 phase routine, and then gives a hugh set of other moves that you can create your own routine from. I've jsut started looking at it last night, and was IMPRESSED with all the information in it.

If you want the larger ring/rope, I can also recommend Daryl's Expert Rope Magic Made Easy. Volume 3 has most of his ring/rope effects. The other volumes have a little ring/rope stuff, but by those only if you are interested in rope magic(which I have enjoyed). Daryl's ring/rope stuff is more short effects than an elaborate routine, but it is a good start for building your own routine.

Also, there is an interesting ring/rope effect in Mark Wilson's Complete Course, it is a version of Sefalaljia. Fulves Self-Working Rope magic has some larger ring and rope moves. The Encyclopedia of Rope Tricks also has a selection. These may not be the "best", but these books are great resources - so I agree with Pete's comment about making up your own; these materials can supply the building blocks for the next, "best" ring and rope trick Smile

Pete: What is the name of David Williamson's work, and is it for finger ring or larger rings?. I've not hear of it.

John
Paolo Venturini
View Profile
Veteran user
Lucca (I.) - New York City
385 Posts

Profile of Paolo Venturini
If you're looking for a parlor effect, "Ringing Around Too" of A. Colombini, DvD.

Paolo Venturini
DaiBato
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of DaiBato
John Long, I meant both kinds: finger ring and larger ring effects with rope.

Dai Bato
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10519 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
I also recomend aldo's ring and rope routine ,some other resourses , Wille wessel,
and flip....
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
tntjr
View Profile
Elite user
482 Posts

Profile of tntjr
I'm familiar with and own many of these, but they all have one thing in common:Non-existent or weak patter. Many of the routine flow nicely from a physical technique standpoint, but verbally, end up being a narration. For certain personalities (e.g. Aldo), the narration will be entertaining by virtue of the performer's personality, but often the moves are unmotivated.
Any comments? How about routines that are better than others from this standpoint? I'm interested in ring/rope routines myself, but have been unispired by many that I have acquired.
Simon Bakker
View Profile
Special user
the Netherlands
587 Posts

Profile of Simon Bakker
Another vote for Dave Williamsons routine. His performance on the Dave 2 dvd almost made me cry with laughter (where he starts chasing te kid).
tntjr
View Profile
Elite user
482 Posts

Profile of tntjr
Agreed. It's hilarious. Not my personality, but REALLY funny. BTW, I've pulled out my Fooler Doolers again and am getting a few ideas. I suppose a little "narration" isn't all bad, as long as moves are motivated and it's entertaining.

I'm still interested if anyone has anything else to offer.
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4709 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
Check out the ring and rope (cord) routine bu Eric DeCamps which is on a Stars of Magic video. It uses a 3 inch ring and either a rope or cord. It is excellent.
NEW: 21st Century Coin Mechanics DVD http://www.barnowskymagic.com/21CCMDVD.html
https://www.facebook.com/barnowskymagic
The Book of Destiny http://www.barnowskymagic.com/bookofdestiny.html

Kingdom of the Red Book and DVD http://www.barnowskymagic.com/kotr1.html

21ST CENTURY COIN MECHANICS and Counting On Deception www.barnowskymagic.com
clamon86
View Profile
Special user
508 Posts

Profile of clamon86
I completely agree with Larry Barnowsky.

Unlike the Greg Wilson and Dave Williamson routines(which are both awesome), Eric only uses 1 piece of rope and a ring. The routine is defintely my favorite.
Euangelion
View Profile
Special user
688 Posts

Profile of Euangelion
I'll toss in a tip of the hat to Eric as well.
Bill Esborn

"Lutefisk: the piece of cod that passes all understanding."
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
16788 Posts

Profile of joseph
Quote:
On 2006-01-18 13:00, Larry Barnowsky wrote:
Check out the ring and rope (cord) routine bu Eric DeCamps which is on a Stars of Magic video. It uses a 3 inch ring and either a rope or cord. It is excellent.

I like this one too, but the last phase really has to be practiced, or you will end up with a flying ring finale...... Smile ..
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
bwalendziak
View Profile
New user
Connecticut
78 Posts

Profile of bwalendziak
One more vote for Eric's routine. I use it all the time.

Yeah don't try the final phase in a restaurant over a table of food before you can hit it all the time. It's one of those "knack" moves.

Brian
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Best Ring and Rope routines (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL