The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Oops!! Criss Angel's 'impromptu' levitation.. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Magic Sam
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
107 Posts

Profile of Magic Sam
So, I'm not sure where exactly this belongs, and whether it's been discussed or not, but I just saw a cool clip of Criss Angel levitating a girl he meets in a mall or something. There are three guys as well, on all sides, and there's no cover on her.

BUT! Watch the clip and se if you can find what suddenly changes about the hypnotized girl...

http://www.crissangel.com/data/generic_s......levi.htm

Notice her crossed legs. Right over left. Then suddenly, left over right?! What's going on here? Why do TV magicians rely on editing and special effects to accomplish their magic? Jeez.... anyway, that's my little rant. Good night Smile
Magic is like a party in your eyes, where everyone's drunk and breaking the furniture
Joe Xavier
View Profile
Regular user
Borneo Islands
149 Posts

Profile of Joe Xavier
You noticed THAT??

Amazing...

TV magicians rely on editing and special effects to dumbfound everyone. Laymen and magicians alike. For us, the raven or topits are our gimmicks, for them, camera tricks add that little edge and happen to be like their gimmicks.

Play along and be amazed!

Joe
sodman12
View Profile
Special user
raleigh
601 Posts

Profile of sodman12
Yeah I think this is the big difference between David Blaine and Criss Angle. I know Blaine has one levitation that is staged but at first it was the reg balducci(Most Likely not spelling right) but it wasnt untill later that they changed his effect. It seems like all criss doesn it staged tricks with camera trickery
you can fool all of the people some of the time and some of the people all the time but never all of the people all the time.
jynx
View Profile
Loyal user
Pueblo, Colorado
242 Posts

Profile of jynx
WOW good eye! I have seen that levitation time and time again and never noticed that. The only thing I noticed is that the girl (to me) looks like the same girl on his Mindfreak series doing the same levitation. Oh well, either way it still looks good..........
troller
View Profile
Loyal user
276 Posts

Profile of troller
Your a magician and your suppose to notice that kind of stuff for you are in the 'know' as to say. But a typical layperson or non-magician doesn't notice that. Or they shouldn't!!! Shame on Criss for not noticing it himself.

Funny that you did not notice that they used the same girl to demonstrate the same levitation done at two different locations. Both asking the girl whether they met before and she stated NO!!!! This one looks like it's in New York. The other one I think was in Vegas.

Also, have you ever been caught?.. doing a magic trick. Did another magician happen to come up to you and say.. "ha.. you used a TT to do that and I seen it!!!" When they do what is your reaction? Mine is to make sure it never happens again. I will practice.. I must practice more before perfoming this again!

A lot of Films when being filmed actually have a polaroid camera person going around taking picture to make sure that continuity is maintained. In this case I guess it was not in the budget to have such a person!!! Also, a good actor will always maintain his/her posture and try and mimick their past moves on camera for continuity is at stake. I think there are a lot of websites online that deals with such blunders in film and TV. Post it there and you might win a prize!
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
Yes but he is do DRAMATIC! I love the posturing and the breathing. The guy is putting on a SHOW. You just have to respect that.
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Go back and look at Blaine Levitating. That editing is horrible and it still "wowed" people. Like Joe said just sit back and enjoy.
levitatingace
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of levitatingace
Magicians don't apperently don't like film editing. If it is presented for laypeople, its really just another type of misdirection, another tool for us to use. you have a good eye to notice that, but the effect should not be looked past becasue of this.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Ok editing is NOT another form of misdirection....it is more of a cruch.

do you think magicians are the ONLY ones who notice things like this?

magicians fool THEMSELVS with notions like this. in all forms of magic.

For example showing the ace of hearts twice instead of an ace of diamonds. Do we REALLY think nobody notices that stuff?

I am making no judgements good or bad about Chris or about editing in general, but come on wake up for once. People notice things that WE overlook and justify.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Your strongest point is showing a heart twice to pass of as a Heart and an Ace. I hate that move.
magicman226
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, Texas
234 Posts

Profile of magicman226
Wow, I would've never seen that if you hadn't said anything. I think that is the point though. Besides, at least his editing is unnoticeable. I've watched David Blaine's so many times and it looks so fake. Good eye, Magic Sam.
DerekMerdinyan
View Profile
Inner circle
1030 Posts

Profile of DerekMerdinyan
I JUST NOTICED SOMETHING ELSE!!!

The women he levitated in that video is the SAME ONE he levitated on the Las Vegas streets in the newer MindFreak Episodes...

hehehe caught another slip up...

What exactly did Criss Angel say when he was interviewed in Genii Magazine regarding special effects/ editing and stooging.

Derek Merdinyan
jynx
View Profile
Loyal user
Pueblo, Colorado
242 Posts

Profile of jynx
Quote:
On 2006-01-13 23:05, DerekMerdinyan wrote:
I JUST NOTICED SOMETHING ELSE!!!

The women he levitated in that video is the SAME ONE he levitated on the Las Vegas streets in the newer MindFreak Episodes...

hehehe caught another slip up...

What exactly did Criss Angel say when he was interviewed in Genii Magazine regarding special effects/ editing and stooging.

Derek Merdinyan

That's what I said.........
four elements
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of four elements
Any body else hving problems getting to the web site?
NFox
View Profile
Inner circle
I Do Mentalism Now?!
1101 Posts

Profile of NFox
If I remember correctly, when asked about editing and special effects, Angel said something to the effect of, "I never do any effect on Mindfreak that I couldn't replicate in a live show, even if I had to replicate it through different means." I'm paraphrasing there, but that is what I remember of his stance on "Tv Magic."

Nick Fox
"Obscuring Reality"- Gone but not forgotten...

FoxIllusions.com
Darius666
View Profile
Veteran user
London
368 Posts

Profile of Darius666
I suppose the problem is that everytime a new show comes out they have to 'out do' the last one. Blaine levitates about 1 ft, so chris has to come along and go 4/5 ft in the air. Maybe Blaine will decide to go 10 ft on his new show.

Personally I hate the use of camera tricks but I suppose we all have different opinions.
Randwill
View Profile
Inner circle
1914 Posts

Profile of Randwill
Quote:
On 2006-01-14 08:05, four elements wrote:

Yeah, it currently links to a dead black window. Maybe Angel took the video down after reading here.
jynx
View Profile
Loyal user
Pueblo, Colorado
242 Posts

Profile of jynx
Quote:
On 2006-01-14 11:59, Randwill wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-01-14 08:05, four elements wrote:

Yeah, it currently links to a dead black window. Maybe Angel took the video down after reading here.

I just checked it and it works fine for me.......
toolman22
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of toolman22
I hade trouble viewing it also. Great catch Sam. Just think what we all could do if we could edit or own routines.
davejesc
View Profile
New user
David Juraschek
83 Posts

Profile of davejesc
Who cares if he used the same gal in two (or more) presentations?

Who cares if her legs are different in one clip than the other (good eye, though)?

Who cares if he uses camera assists for TV as long as he can replicate the effect when done live (as he claims)?

I don't care that I probably never will do this effect - this way. I just was delighted to watch how well it was done - even if I know the method used, and that he uses stooges and camera embellishments.

I'm impressed with the showmanship and artistry. ("An actor playing the role of a magician" and all that.) Look at what Blaine and Angel have done for magic. They made it come back to life as much as Henning and Copperfield did.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Oops!! Criss Angel's 'impromptu' levitation.. (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL