The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Scaring the crap outta kids. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicsavant
View Profile
Regular user
Georgia
157 Posts

Profile of magicsavant
I'm currently planning a halloween show (got plenty of time to plan for once). Anyway, assuming kids of all ages will be present, just how far can I push the envelope regarding realism in frightening effects rather than going to the funny route?

With all the stuff on TV, I would think most kids are desensitized to this sort of thing, but don't want to chance it and have a bunch of angry parents knocking on my door.

Thanks.
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
I wouldn't do anything scary for kids under the age of 8. Most of them would love it but all it takes is for one kid to start crying and you're an ogre.

I would save a scary show for the 10 and over crowd and then make sure everyone understands what you're planning. Otherwise, just make it "ghoulish" without the fright.

Michael
Crispy
View Profile
Loyal user
Louisville, KY
207 Posts

Profile of Crispy
I have a very nice Chalet headchopper.... one of only 32 made. (It is signed and numbered by the builder, Russell, and is #2.) I hardly get to use it because it frightens young kids. I use it on the principal or a male teacher in my school shows, and it goes over well in Scout shows and larger shows. However, I've cut it from library and church shows.... in many cases by request. I.E. "We'd like you to perform again for us this year, but don't do the head chopper trick."

Cris
Frank Simpson
View Profile
Special user
SW Montana
883 Posts

Profile of Frank Simpson
Really it ultimately depends upon who is hiring you. Ask the person requesting the booking what would and would not be acceptable. If you are doing a public show, just make sure that the nature of the content of your show is well-advertised.

Just speaking personally, I think it is a shame that younger and younger children are being desensitized to shock, gore and horror. Any "entertainment value" that they provide really has very little, if anything, to do with magic. Just because they see it on TV doesn't necessarily mean that we should follow suit. After all, as someone once said: "Theatre is life, film is art and television is furniture." I don't think we should be copying furniture... Smile
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
What age of kids are we really talking here? I do a halloween exhibit each year and learned early on that smaller kids will frighten VERY easily. Nothing turns a parent off faster than their kid being terrorized. Your show is going to bomb pretty fast if parents start get up from your audience to take their kids outside. The blood and gore angle is only good for teens.

You can do lots of other things however. Zombie pumpkin or skull? Seance table? Levitations and vanishes with a halloween theme? Mark Wilson ghost house? Mirror table? Spooky mood and atmosphere.

Last year was our 7th year at this project and we attracted 17,800 people over a 10 day period. The first year was very slow for us as people assumed we were going to have a bloody exhibit. Parents were afraid of the gore and yet teens were disappointed there wasn't any blood.

We stuck with bloodless but cool magic illusions and over the years word got out and then every age started showing up. Teens don't get gore but they do get freaked out by some cool magic to keep their interest. A little scare ( followed by a laugh ) now and then doesn't hurt either.

Best,

Tim
Caveat Lector
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

Profile of Caveat Lector
I have a haunted attraction in NY and we try to push the envelope with every year. You can check us out at http://www.headlesshorseman.com. We incorporate many illusions into our storyline to keep the entertaiment level up. I also perform a sideshow and an illusion show 4 times a night. My show is pretty intense, but you really need to know your audience and they should know what they are getting into. We have many signs at the ticket booth and also inside to let them know what they are going to be encountering. We average 3000 people a night for 21 nights, so the freaky, horror, and bloody over the top thing works for us. But, that does not mean it will work for you, just do your homework and be safe.
Corrupting the art of magic, one show at a time
www.underworldent.com
www.myspace.com/johnshawcomedymagic
magicsavant
View Profile
Regular user
Georgia
157 Posts

Profile of magicsavant
"A little scare (followed by a laugh) now and then doesn't hurt either."

I think this will be the way we will be going....
Ryan Joyce
View Profile
New user
Canada
40 Posts

Profile of Ryan Joyce
Thought I'd chime in and mention that I saw Tim's Haunted Mansion last year and it is bar none the most spectacular Halloween display I have ever seen.

One of the things that impressed me most was indeed the amount of magic and illusion incorporated ... people are in awe rather than being terrified by people jumping out and grabbing them.

He's the man with the answer.
Let's connect:
My website https://ryanjoyce.com
Magicians Masterclass https://magicianmasterclass.com
OWOW Magic Festival https://magicfestival.ca
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Scaring the crap outta kids. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL