The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Sorcery Pen Reel VS: Spider Pen...? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
JackDaniel
View Profile
Veteran user
nevada
376 Posts

Profile of JackDaniel
I'v had the Spider Pen for a while but I'm unfortunately not happy with it, mainly cause it often tend to live a life of it's own when it comes to the mechanics of it.
I know James George has a similar product called The kevlar 2005 pen reel, but I was curious if you guys are happy with it, and how does it compare to the Spider Pen?

I found the source here: http://sorcery.safeshopper.com/248/213.htm?3

Jack.
Visit the magic of Vegas and your life will change forever..
JackDaniel
View Profile
Veteran user
nevada
376 Posts

Profile of JackDaniel
Can't really belive that no one has the James George kevlar 2005 pen reel?

I'd love some input please Smile
Jack.
Derek Dean
View Profile
Regular user
Monterey, CA
129 Posts

Profile of Derek Dean
Hey Jack,

I've got both and use them frequently. Maybe I lucked out and got one of the "good" Spider Pens, but I love mine. It does some things that most other systems just can't. However, I love the Kevlar 2005 Pen also. It reallly is quite reliable and the Kevlar line is very durable, and still very difficult to see, especially under florescent lights. In fact, I have several other ITRs that James George designed. I like them all and they all have different uses. My favorite is the big old standard ITR, loaded with the Kevlar line.

What I would problably do is give the Sorcery Shop a call and talk to them, they are very nice. Explain what kind of IT work you are wanting to do, and what you didn't like about the Spider Pen, and I'll bet they will be able to steer you in the right direction to one of their many products. They are all good, and each serves a slightly different purpose.......so just give them a call.

Hope that helps.

Derek
deputy
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1041 Posts

Profile of deputy
I love he spider pen just wish it was made better
bloodkin
View Profile
Special user
646 Posts

Profile of bloodkin
They both are fantastic tools. I'm ordering the new kevlar pen to replace my old one. Looks like they improved it quite a bit.

The major difference is that one always has tension and the other can shut the tension on or off.
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
I still expect Yigal to come out with a SpiderPen version 2, to address the intermittent issues with the cap/ring/battery contacts.
I've heard no such rumors though. Bummer.
Other than that, the s-pen rocks.
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
JackDaniel
View Profile
Veteran user
nevada
376 Posts

Profile of JackDaniel
Agree Mystician, there are still room for many improvement when it comes to the Spider Pen.
Thanks for the details Derek, I'll be sure to give the guys at sorcery a call.
What I'm (and I guess we all) are searching for it something reliable, IT work have to many ways to "fail" already, and what you don't need is a reel that makes you shake just looking at it.. Smile

One thing I'v learned, Kevlar is the thread I need to be confident, I just need the pen to match it's qualities.

Jack.
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2325 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
Quote:
On 2006-01-24 17:40, JackDaniel wrote:
Can't really belive that no one has the James George kevlar 2005 pen reel?

I'd love some input please Smile
Jack.

Because if you have one pen reel, no need for another. Smile
service189
View Profile
New user
98 Posts

Profile of service189
I have james george old pen reel I don't like the thread comming out of the middle of the pen, does anyone know if the new one comes out the top?
JackDaniel
View Profile
Veteran user
nevada
376 Posts

Profile of JackDaniel
Quote:
On 2006-01-26 18:02, Brian Proctor wrote:
Because if you have one pen reel, no need for another. Smile

Wish I could agree with you Brian, unfortunately I don't trust my Spider pen..
From the input I gathered here I'm not alone.
I might just get the "real pen reel" from the guys who really know IT work - sorcery.

Jack.
Derek Dean
View Profile
Regular user
Monterey, CA
129 Posts

Profile of Derek Dean
The new 2005 Kevlar Pen does indeed feed from near top. It's basically an update and replacement for the 2002 Pro Pen, which was $140.

This is a quote from James George concerning the 2004 Thread Boss:

"Great for close-up, easily clips under the collar, if lighting is a big concern I would get this over the pen reel, the thread breaks easier, but it is more invisible."

I really like the 2005 Kevlar Pen Reel, but I am thinking of adding the thread boss, just for the really intimate performances.

Decisions, decisions.......I think either will work......but having both is even better.
gerard1973
View Profile
Special user
Michigan, U.S.A.
688 Posts

Profile of gerard1973
JackDaniel:

Sorcery Manufacturing's 2005 Kevlar Pen Reel is a much better choice than the Spider Pen. It works great and doesn't have all of the problems that the Spider Pen has.
"Confusion is not magic."
Dai Vernon
magicman899
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of magicman899
I have the Spider Pen and use it daily, there are a few minor issues such as the clip breaking easily and when the batteries are dying the thread might get tangled. This has never happened to me but from what I hear it happens occasionally. I personally think that the Spider Pen is the holy grail of pen reels.
Olivier
View Profile
New user
France
26 Posts

Profile of Olivier
I have the Kevlar Pen 2005 and I am really disappointed. First, it can't write and it hasn't completely the shape of a pen. Second, it is not very reliable compared to the thread boss because quite often the thread goes around the rubber bands inside the pen, and then all the system is blocked. Finally you always need to reajust the thread because it never goes back completely inside the pen. I am thinking about purchasing the spider pen now...... Anyway I am happy for those who like it.

Olivier
GeordieJester
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of GeordieJester
I have the spider pen and have not had too much problem either.

Can anyone point me towards any cool routines or other uses of the spider pen apart from the standard floating paper ball etc.

I like the pen but have never reely (!) had the opportunity to use it. I suppose its more of a stage tool than a walk-about item

wise owl
View Profile
Special user
Australia
721 Posts

Profile of wise owl
Both reel pen and spider pen is best used for stage or parlour due to the long length they can extended. For close up, a boss reel is more reliable.

Both pen has their pro and con and so the argument can go on and on. Personally I like the spider pen better. It do not have the tension (hence break or tangled thread during performance) problems and it can switch on and off. Spider pen is urgly (and it tells by the look it is a gimick). But I seldom take it out and just used it as a reel.

It is also worth to look at a reel called PMII. I bought it serveral years ago. It is small, low tension and long in length. Very reliable product.
Snidini
View Profile
Special user
776 Posts

Profile of Snidini
Quote:
On 2006-01-26 13:39, Mystician wrote:
I still expect Yigal to come out with a SpiderPen version 2, to address the intermittent issues with the cap/ring/battery contacts.
I've heard no such rumors though. Bummer.
Other than that, the s-pen rocks.

Spoke to Yigal at SAM con and he did say one should be out by next year. It is in the works and will be much improved. I for one have had very little problems with mine. I do not use it for heavy objects and therefore have had very little thread breakage or problems.

Snidini
EvanAlexander
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of EvanAlexander
Yes, spider pen version 2 is coming, as is the spider watch (wait til you see what this thing can do)...
EvanAlexander
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of EvanAlexander
Spider watch... imagine Fearson's cigarette with no movement of the hands or head at all, possibilities are endless with this...
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Evan you need to go to the Secretcenter forum and give us more input. We began to discuss this topic a while back but didn't know much about it. I actually brought up the Thought before I even new there was a Spider watch. If you have seen this can you tell me the quality? Ala Time Machine or Velcro, Crappy why would anyone with a nice shirt wear that watch type of thing. And Fearson Really. I didn't even begin to think about that. I was more concerned with Spooked.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Sorcery Pen Reel VS: Spider Pen...? (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL