The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » The Best Contest So Far #7 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
I'm glad people are having fun with these contests. Here's a chance to be creative and win a prize.
Answer the following question:

How many magicians does it take to change a light bulb?

You may substitute "cardician" or "coin mechanic", or something similar instead of "magician" if you which to be more precise or more insulting."

Rules: You must abide by Café rules regarding language etc. 1 entry per post and a maximum of 5 posts allowed.

What do win? The best answer will win an autographed copy of my book 21st Century Coin Mechanics with The Companion Video CD, and some authentic old Chinese Coins, dollar size or larger. You will also win a light bulb autographed by Thomas Edison which you must pick up in person (you will have choice of color ink) Smile

The best answer will be chosen by my wife Esther who you may know did the photography for my book.

Best of luck to everyone,

Larry
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
How many magicians does it take to screw in a light bulb?

100. 1 to change the bulb and 99 to say "that's not the way Vernon would have done it."

Vandy
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4675 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
In Discoverie Of Witchcraft, there is a reference to changing a bright orb of light using one magician and his assistant, plus two convicted witches that weren't as yet hung or drowned. However, the earliest published reference was a letter from Thomas Edison, himself an amateur magician, of changing the COLOR of a lightbulb from clear to red, in an effort to improve his marital relations. It likely did not work, as in the Smithsonian there is a glass case with pieces of one such red lightbulb, and divorce papers.
In the 1942 book, Handle With Gloves, Jack Chanin describes how during a performance in the New Victory Theatre, the main light blew, and he and his two assistants had to climb up to the rafters and change the bulb, or the audience would have left and asked for their money back. Yes, they all wore gloves. In the Amateur Magicians Handbook, there is a description of using the Balducci Levitation to change a bulb without the aid of a ladder or any help.
The only other reference that I found was in March of 2003, on the Magic Café, KNOWITALL asked the same question. There was no real answer. People began posting about the motivation for changing the lightbulb, a good plot to be used in the presentation of changing the lightbulb, the intention to change the light bulb, how Mickey Silver would change the light bulb, and the use of nomenclature - fingertip technique, visual bulb change, open palm vs closed palm change, and how would the changing of the bulb be affected by using a s***l over the bulb. Finally, there was a big fight between cetain manufacturers about the porper way uhhh, PROPER way to lassen the bulb, uhh, LOOSEN the bulb, screw the bulb wayne in uhh, WAY in,using trivits or magnets, and who was ripping off the technique. Darn, gotta go, my light just went out.
S.E.M. (The Sun, the Moon, and the Earth) is a sun and moon routine unlike any other. Limited to 100 sets, here is the promo:
https://youtu.be/aFuAWCNEuOI?si=ZdDUNV8lUPWvtOcL
$325 ppd USA (Shipping extra outside of USA). If interested, shoot me an email for ordering information at rubinsteindvm@aol.com
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
Smile Smile
APC
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1213 Posts

Profile of APC
10, 1 to put the lightbulb in and 9 to think it was their idea first
Cpontz
View Profile
Special user
Daupin PA
553 Posts

Profile of Cpontz
5 - One to make to burned out lighbulb disappear. One to make a new lightbulb appear. One to make the new lightbulb light up before it is plugged in. One to levitate the lit up bulb to the socket and one to magically screw the lightbulb into the socket.

Craig
wunceaponatime
View Profile
Loyal user
280 Posts

Profile of wunceaponatime
Two. One to unscrew it and one to pour out the milk.
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2765 Posts

Profile of Jordini
One to change the lightbulb, and 23,043 to discuss how they think he did it, and where they can buy the effect.

Then it takes two more to complain that it's not worth the money to find out how to change a lightbulb because it's easy enough to figure out on your own.

Then one more to explain to the other two magicians that they are stealing.
therntier
View Profile
Special user
681 Posts

Profile of therntier
I thought magicians had assistants?
Cascade88
View Profile
Regular user
Sam 104
109 Posts

Profile of Cascade88
It does not matter as long as they are one ahead.
"Once is magic Twice is education."
Almost-A-Magician
View Profile
Regular user
New England
158 Posts

Profile of Almost-A-Magician
How many coin magicians does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

Three…one to screw it in. Two to argue like little kids over who makes a better lightbulb…Lassen or schoolcraft!
SteveB
View Profile
Regular user
St Louis, MO
117 Posts

Profile of SteveB

1 magician and 10 other people to wipe
the geek off of it.
Regards,
Steve

www.stevebarcellona.com
tootall
View Profile
Regular user
Central FL
105 Posts

Profile of tootall

Just one, but he would constanly be saying "Let me show you this just one more time".
boxjumper
View Profile
Veteran user
362 Posts

Profile of boxjumper
Three. One to grab the bulb and two dancing magical assiatants to turn the ladder. Smile
:bigdance: Smile Smile

Sorry about the spelling for assistant.

Entry #2:
Two. One to unscrew the bulb and the other to catch the coins falling out of his sleeves, toppits, and DMC position.
phedonbilek
View Profile
Special user
Greece, Cameroon, France
884 Posts

Profile of phedonbilek
Five. One standing on the table holding the bulb, and four turning the table.

Phedon
...The only easy day is yesterday...
Magix
View Profile
Elite user
432 Posts

Profile of Magix

It depends on if the light bulb is gaffed, what you want the light bulb to change into, and whether or not you want to end clean.
Rindfleisch
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
502 Posts

Profile of Rindfleisch
How Many Stage Magicians does it take to screw in a light bulb.

100!
1 to stand in front of the audience and add a lot of misdirection while the other 99 jack up the building and place it on a very expensive platform that can rotate on 360% rotations without the audience knowing.

:-P

Joe Rindfleisch
check me out on facebook #MAGICTOTD
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2473 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
How many Gospel Magicians does it take to change a lightbulb?

100... one to change the bulb, and 99 to sing, "I saw D'lite, I saw D'lite."

RevJohn
KeithP
View Profile
Regular user
171 Posts

Profile of KeithP
We will never know. Magicians don't leave thumbprints.

KeithP
TomKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I tripped over
620 Posts

Profile of TomKMagic

You are all obviously wrong. LOL There are two possible scenarios that could happen.

The first one is: The magician would realize that someone just turned the switch to OFF, and he could use this to his advantage and wave a silk in front and have the stage crew flip on the switch, thus "magically" changing the bulb. The spectator won't know the method, it's the act of changing the bulb that matters; the entertainment value.

The second one is: In order to change a light bulb, you need to unscrew the bulb, place it in a change bag (this is how you really "change" them anyways), make a magical gesture, then pull out a new bulb, then screw in the bulb, and turn it on.

TomK
You must be smarter than the tools you are using...

Tom Kracker
My website
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » The Best Contest So Far #7 (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL