The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » New improved salt shaker through the table (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1903 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
I recently contacted Nielsen to see if they would be interested in producing a salt shaker that is collapsible similar to their bottles. Here is the letter I wrote them.

I have been doing magic for years, and one of the early tricks I learned was the salt shaker wrapped in a napkin through the table. I have been doing this trick recently and the reactions are strong. I have even been getting away with the lapping of the salt shaker with people sitting right next to me. The misdirection is so strong in this trick. I claim I am going to make a coin go through the table and cover it with the wrapped up salt shaker. When I show I haven't done anything with the quarter yet is when I drop the salt shaker in my lap. I then proceed to flatten the napkin and show the salt shaker penetrated instead of the quarter. I usually, as a joke, apologize and ask to start again since I made the wrong thing go through the table. This is where you come in. I thought it would be great if I could actually do it again by switching the salt shaker for a fake that looks just like the one I am using. The one I would switch in would be done right after the first penetration. When I bring the salt shaker back up it would be a shaker made like your production bottles. It would be collapsible but look very solid. With a bit of double-stick tape or wax on the bottom the coin would stick to the shaker's bottom. Now when I slam the collapsible shaker flat under the napkin and lift the coin will appear to have gone through the table as well. You bring out the real salt shaker from under the table and shake it on its side. This causes the quarter that has been buried in the salt all along to become visible. Now it appears that you made the salt shaker and the coin penetrate the table while at the same time causing the coin to jump inside the salt shaker.
bunkyhenry
View Profile
Special user
NYC Metro
690 Posts

Profile of bunkyhenry
Nice!
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
Very, very nice Paso...Hopefully you'll get a bit of the credit too!

Awhile back I came up with a sleight of hand version of almost the very same routine. You see I was inspired right after Mr. Rogers passed away, the salt shaker thru table was taught by him on one of his TV shows... it was the first real trick I learned. I was only around 7 years old.

God bless Mr. Rogers.

johnny
I drink cheap tequila and vomit
<BR>I cannot eat hot wings...acid reflux
<BR>I never inhale Smile
<BR>I can put a field dress on a deer
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
14977 Posts

Profile of joseph
Nice, Paso, but how about a salt shaker s**ll that is collapsible...I wonder if they can make one of those....Think of the possibilities!... Smile ..
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Romania
1321 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
Great ideas guys ! I always loved the salt shaker trick.
It's nice to see that I am not the only one Smile

-Matt
Your One Stop Booze Abusing Comedy Magic Show!
joegold
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of joegold
Does anyone know the origin of the salt shaker through the table? I imagine it started with the cups and balls. But does anyone know the first magician to do the trick with a salt shaker? I do this trick in my new movie, Desperate Acts of Magic, and I was considering trying to give credit to the creators of the various effects.
Cosmo Solano
View Profile
Veteran user
Colorado
360 Posts

Profile of Cosmo Solano
I'm working on some routines for my upcoming book, and in collaboration with a fellow magician, we have a routine based around salt shaker through table. I'm trying to do some research and have gathered much about the history on the effect, however I seem to remember a "special" shaker on the market that allowed for the coin to end up inside the shaker at the end. I'm told that it may have been sold by Hank Lee's but it's not on the market anymore. I can't find anything on it, anyone have a reference or name of the effect? anyone own it, have a link etc?

Also I'd like to know the origin as well, first published etc. I've gotten different answers on that.

Thanks!!!

Coz
SpellMagic
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of SpellMagic
NICE !
Herr Brian Tabor
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
598 Posts

Profile of Herr Brian Tabor
If the salt shaker is a smaller one I don't bother using a napkin or cover at all, just my hands.
Herr Brian Tabor
View Profile
Special user
West Virginia
598 Posts

Profile of Herr Brian Tabor
What about printing a fake shaker on paper and folding it and taping it to look real enough for a quick flash before you push it through?
curtgunz
View Profile
Special user
Only 99% of users have more than
729 Posts

Profile of curtgunz
Love it.

Could the same salt shaker Non-gimmicked be used both times but just palm the quarter for the second penetration and then show a quarter in the shaker?
The clown to the left is Professor Q.B.

ProfessorQB.com

Just for fun visit ChurchFun.com -- The Fun, Safe Place for Kids
Nicholas
View Profile
Special user
I predict that I now have
896 Posts

Profile of Nicholas
I remember a vanishing salt and pepper shaker trick that may have been from Amature Magician's Handbook (but won't swear to it). Using a variety of techniques implied in the above comments and the existance of the gimmicked salt shaker described, I'll bet some interesting routines could be developed.
Nicholas
View Profile
Special user
I predict that I now have
896 Posts

Profile of Nicholas
I remember a vanishing salt and pepper shaker trick that may have been from Amature Magician's Handbook (but won't swear to it). Using a variety of techniques implied in the above comments and the existance of the gimmicked salt shaker described, I'll bet some interesting routines could be developed.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » New improved salt shaker through the table (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.082325 seconds, requiring 42 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[9] [7] [6] [7] [0] [9] [3] [5] [1]