The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Clear forcing bag (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

rickmagic1
View Profile
Inner circle
Spring Hill, TN...where the fences have
1460 Posts

Profile of rickmagic1
I just saw a new item for sale by Jay Sankey, looks like a "zip-loc" style clear forcing bag. Anyone know anything about this? I'm looking for a good clear force bag, wondering if this is any good.

Rick
Rick Green

The Modern Conjurer.
dAvId tOnG
View Profile
Loyal user
sInGaPoRe
217 Posts

Profile of dAvId tOnG
In my opinion, any clear force bag that looks like a zip loc bag will work fine. There are many dealers that carry such an item, not necessary Jay Sankey's and if i am not wrong, it is retailing at ard $10 range, definitely lesser. I got mine many years back for about US$6 and it works fine Smile
Chinese Metaphysics Global Consulting
www.cmgconsulting.com.sg
David Fletcher
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of David Fletcher
Make your own!!!!!!!!!!!
You have to give it away to keep it.
eric2104
View Profile
New user
saint-martin (French West Indies)
87 Posts

Profile of eric2104
Hi Rickmagic,

I have to second David's opinion, It's real easy to make one good clear forcing bag. If you really need to know how, PM me.

See you, and best regards.
Eric.
Smile
"All magic is mental"
Tony Shiels.
Mike Robbins
View Profile
Elite user
Anchorage, Alaska
444 Posts

Profile of Mike Robbins
Ed Fowler (Carlyle) has a great one. With his you can zip the bag closed, hand it to a participant, and have him/her open the bag and select a billet/paper/etc.

Mike
The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
Shakespeare
jerdunn
View Profile
Inner circle
1318 Posts

Profile of jerdunn
I've had trouble with clear force bags -- to wit, the person sticking his hand into the bag can feel that there are objects/slips of paper outside the area where his hand is , i.e., beyond one thickness of plastic (if you know what I mean).

Anyone else have this problem? Any solutions?

Cheers,
Jerry
Check out my new book: MY FAVORITE PLACE ON EARTH (National Geographic Society), featuring 75 remarkable people - from the Dalai Lama to Will Ferrell to Lance Burton - talking about the places they love most. For info, go to www.myfavoriteplacenatgeo.com.
MichaelSibbernsen
View Profile
Special user
Omaha, NE
513 Posts

Profile of MichaelSibbernsen
Jerry,

Thats an easy one. Have them turn their head while making the selection. This is a perfectly acceptable thing to do; stemming from the old "choosing a name from a hat" selection process.

As a matter of fact, I think it is odd looking *not* to do this; i.e. letting someone see what they are to be selecting at random.
asmayly
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, Texas
296 Posts

Profile of asmayly
To add to Michael's suggestion: stress that they are to remove quickly the first "whatever" they TOUCH, as you are psychically directing their hand.

Asmayly
Ted Lesley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Berlin / Germany
421 Posts

Profile of Ted Lesley
Hi,
If you want THE BEST clear forcing bag, take Ed Fowler-Carlyle´s. It is the GREATEST!

ESPecially
Ted Lesley

( The "Victor Borge" of Mentalism )
CENDRE
View Profile
Veteran user
FRANCE
334 Posts

Profile of CENDRE
Quote:
On 2002-11-19 21:25, jerdunn wrote:
I've had trouble with clear force bags -- to wit, the person sticking his hand into the bag can feel that there are objects/slips of paper outside the area where his hand is , i.e., beyond one thickness of plastic (if you know what I mean).

Anyone else have this problem? Any solutions?

Cheers,
Jerry

Yes Jerry, I had the same problem. That was the principal reason why I stopped using clear plastic bag (even if I liked the idea of a clear bag). The other reason was that a plastic bag doesn't fit to my kind of presentations.

Maybe it was because my clear bag wasn’t the best we can find (because Ted Lesley couldn’t give an advise on a bad product) but I wasn’t really satisfied because of the weird felling of the spect when he puts his and in the bag (a little something unnatural) even if he had the head turned.

But I’m sure it exists better products on the market nowdays.

See you soon,
Il était une fois...

CENDRE
Paris
FRANCE
Docc Spurlock
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago & Arizona
174 Posts

Profile of Docc Spurlock
Hi Rick:
I just came across a web site that had clear forcing bags dirt cheap, like $2.50.. If you want to check it out go to.....www.totaldiscountmagic.com . I think it was under Mentalism.
Spurlock
"CREATOR OF THE FLOATING FLAME TO DOVE"

If you are always looking back you can't see what's in front of you so when you bump your head again you have no one to blame but yourself!
RileyG
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
798 Posts

Profile of RileyG
In regards to the cheap clear change bags. Cheap is as cheap does...

Ed Fowler made (makes) the best clear change bags.
Signed,

Riley G Matthews Jr

Film Actor (SAG) & Mentalist

http://www.facebook.com/rgmatthewsjr

Presenting: TOO MANY SECRETS - Explorations of a Psychic Spy
Lee Davies
View Profile
Regular user
Derby, England
136 Posts

Profile of Lee Davies
I would have to agree with Mr Lesley and Mr RileyG. You won't regret Ed Fowler-Carlyle´s clear changing bag - I haven't.
I will not cease from mental fight,
Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand...
John Clarkson
View Profile
Special user
Santa Barbara, CA
749 Posts

Profile of John Clarkson
Quote:
On 2002-11-20 06:10, TLesley wrote:
Hi,
If you want THE BEST clear forcing bag, take Ed Fowler-Carlyle´s. It is the GREATEST!

ESPecially

Where does one get it?

Smile
John D. Clarkson, S.O.B. (Sacred Omphaloskeptic Brotherhood)
Cozener

"There is nothing more important to a magician than keeping secrets. Probably because so many of them are Gay."
—Peggy, from King of the Hill (Sleight of Hank)
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
1601 Posts

Profile of ddyment
The best source of Carlyle's bag is directly from him: [email]carlyle@infi.net[/email].

... Doug
... Doug :: PEA Honorary Life Member :: Deceptionary Proprietor :: Travel Author and Speaker
rickmagic1
View Profile
Inner circle
Spring Hill, TN...where the fences have
1460 Posts

Profile of rickmagic1
Thanks, guys.
I emailed Ed tonite. I'll let you know what happens.
Rick Green

The Modern Conjurer.
guefgo
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of guefgo
i think is not worth to buy one,you can manufacture it very easy. Smile Smile
Steve Hoffman
View Profile
Regular user
143 Posts

Profile of Steve Hoffman
Jerry's post stated "I've had trouble with clear force bags -- to wit, the person sticking his hand into the bag can feel that there are objects/slips of paper outside the area where his hand is , i.e., beyond one thickness of plastic (if you know what I mean). Anyone else have this problem? Any solutions?"

I too wonder about this. The point about having the volunteer turn his/her head away while making the selection doesn't quite address this. I think Jerry's talking about a sense of touch, not of sight.

In other words, as the spectator's hand enters the bag, it brushes against what should be the "outside wall" of the bag -- yet he feels a bunch of bunched up pieces of paper THROUGH the supposed outside wall.

And I think this same problem could occur whether you're using a Sankey clear plastic force bag or a Carlye one or the one Jeff Busby sells.

I'd love to hear more about how one avoids this problemn, tho . . .

Steve Hoffman
mailto:steve@goodnote.com
Takoma Park MD
Kraminator
View Profile
New user
Florida
47 Posts

Profile of Kraminator
Is there a video on the web where I can see the trick presentation?
mystic1
View Profile
Veteran user
342 Posts

Profile of mystic1
"trick," eh?
jerdunn
View Profile
Inner circle
1318 Posts

Profile of jerdunn
Thanks to everyone who responded to my post expressing a problem with clear force bags. Steve's post above, however, accurately perceives the problem as being one of touch, not sight, on the part of the spectator.

The problem is especially severe/obvious when the bag contains bulky things to choose from.

For example, I tried working up "Compelled," an effect in which a bag holds pieces for a jigsaw map of the United States. The spectator chooses a piece from the clear bag, and it happens that his chosen state fits the only blank spot in the "prediction map." Problem: The spectator can easily feel the bulk of all the pieces beyond the plastic wall.

Anyone have further thoughts on such situations? The clear force bag is such a great principle that I'd like to find a way to make it work!

Cheers,
Jerry
Check out my new book: MY FAVORITE PLACE ON EARTH (National Geographic Society), featuring 75 remarkable people - from the Dalai Lama to Will Ferrell to Lance Burton - talking about the places they love most. For info, go to www.myfavoriteplacenatgeo.com.
mystic1
View Profile
Veteran user
342 Posts

Profile of mystic1
This entire thread would be better placed in the "Inside" mentalism area. Even the mere existence of the item being discussed should not be acknowledged where the browsing public can learn of it.

Perhaps the moderators can relocate it.
Lior
View Profile
Inner circle
1457 Posts

Profile of Lior
Guy Bavli Net Bag

Lior
PEA Dave Lederman Award 2009

PEA Dunninger Award 2001

http://liormanor.co.il
The invisible touch. The mobile opener.The big Trivia game
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4305 Posts

Profile of Paul
re;
The spectator chooses a piece from the clear bag, and it happens that his chosen state fits the only blank spot in the "prediction map." Problem: The spectator can easily feel the bulk of all the pieces beyond the plastic wall.

"Bulk" may be the operative word here. Use less pieces. The effect sounds like a knock off anyway, just a different jigsaw.

Paul.
Many of my titles are now available as e-books from www.lybrary.com
New e-book OOPS 2 just released, check it out!
Out now, The Chicken and Egg Revelation.
jerdunn
View Profile
Inner circle
1318 Posts

Profile of jerdunn
Paul,

Re: bulk: You can't really use fewer pieces, since there are 50 U.S. states and using only 10 or 15 pieces in the bag would look odd.

Re: knockoff: The instructions for Compelled are copyrighted 1978, and I have no idea if there were similar effects earlier. Do you?

Cheers,
Jerry
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Clear forcing bag (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.374894 seconds, requiring 94 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [5] [8] [6] [5] [4] [6] [8] [9]