We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Spirit Slates for Mentalism (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Piers
View Profile
Inner circle
A Limited Edition of
1459 Posts

Profile of Piers
I appreciate that there are several threads on Slates, and some think them old fashioned, but ...

for those who have and use, good Spirit Slates....

are there any recommendations on those available ?

I've seen them offered for sale by Dr.Q(?), Dave Powell etc.

Any thoughts most useful !

Piers.
Smile

www.justgiving.com/piers-cancer-fund
www.justgiving.com/Piers-Cancer-Fund-2
www.justgiving.com/Piers-Cancer-Fund-3

Finished my 4 months of Chemotherapy in 2009. 3 monthly checks since... and into 2013

As seen on the QE2 and QM2.
Author of Salem's Cornucopia - SUC Book
Piers
View Profile
Inner circle
A Limited Edition of
1459 Posts

Profile of Piers
Any Spirit Slate users out there ?

Piers.
Smile

Finished my 4 months of Chemotherapy in 2009. 3 monthly checks since... and into 2013

Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
11867 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
I use them in a routine, but I use the cheap plastic slates available in toy stores (8"X6"). They fit the effect, but are not gimmicked.

In the past I used several sets of smaller slates (Picard's were my favorite).

Tony
Piers
View Profile
Inner circle
A Limited Edition of
1459 Posts

Profile of Piers
Thanks, Tony, Piers.

Any more, for any more ?
Smile

Christopher Caldwell
View Profile
New user
Scottsdale, Arizona
88 Posts

Profile of Christopher Caldwell
I use them, in particular the Marchese Slates available from Bobkohlermagic.com. They are terrific, high quality, noiseless slates. Same that Juan Tamariz uses in his closing routine.

Christopher
equivoque
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

Profile of equivoque
Quote:
On 2006-02-01 03:06, Christopher Caldwell wrote:
I use them, in particular the Marchese Slates available from Bobkohlermagic.com. They are terrific, high quality, noiseless slates. Same that Juan Tamariz uses in his closing routine.

Christopher

Hmmm my problem with slates is that they do not always fall directly into place and need to be adjusted. Does this occur with these slates?
Piers
View Profile
Inner circle
A Limited Edition of
1459 Posts

Profile of Piers
Chistopher,
I have been tempted by the Marchese Slates too...
Any negatives on them ?
Regards,
Piers.
Smile

Christopher Caldwell
View Profile
New user
Scottsdale, Arizona
88 Posts

Profile of Christopher Caldwell
Regarding the Marchese Slates:

My experience has been that the flap falls perfectly most of the time. However, I in order to be 100% sure, I simply peek after the slates are stacked by pushing the top slate forward a bit and glancing at the bottom slate as I'm handing the slates to a spectator to hold. If it appears out of alignment, a very slight tilt of the slate will get it into place perfectly. The material used in the Marchese slates enables you to do this very easily with no sound.

Now, the only con I have is just something that I've experienced with slates in general and that is the chalk. I find that the chalk that they sell at office supply stores does not leave a wide, white, bold enough stroke. I want the best contrast I can get for maximum visibility from the stage. So I went to an artists supply store and found white pastels. They are softer and leave a thicker, whiter stroke. I'm unable to tell you the specific brand (since I'm sitting at a coffee shop), but if you are interested, let me know and I'll tell you where to get the chalk online. I seem to recall the package I purchased had 12 sticks, and they were square sided sticks, rather than round. You can find them in the US at Michaels. I have tried a variety of white pastels and found some are a bit harder to erase than others. I use a damp cloth treated with windex to clean my slates and keep them black. The Marchese slates, however, are very easy to erase due to the slate material used. The pastel sticks work well with the Marchese slates and with slates that were created using chalkboard paint. I hope this makes sense.

Hope it helps,
Christopher
Piers
View Profile
Inner circle
A Limited Edition of
1459 Posts

Profile of Piers
Christopher,
Thank you.
That helps me ( and others I am sure ), greatly.
Best,
Piers.

PS. Like your web site!
Smile

Piers
View Profile
Inner circle
A Limited Edition of
1459 Posts

Profile of Piers
... and Annemann liked using Slates too!

Piers.
Smile

neoreform
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of neoreform
The cheap hobby store kind are the best. The expensive ones are cool but essentially the same thing. Handling may be a little easier but not even enough to be concerned with spending the extra money
Brent W
View Profile
Regular user
Ohio
123 Posts

Profile of Brent W
Just got a set of the new DR Q slates by Maverick. They are fantastic! I have a pair of DR Q's from Venture III, and these are made just as well. The locking mechanism is a beauty!
johnwolfe
View Profile
New user
gettysburg, PA
48 Posts

Profile of johnwolfe
I have a pair of slates from Abbott's which I bought 30 years ago. They are very nice, wood framed and I've never had a problem with them. I always use the slates in my standard show. One of the closers I use is a telephone book test where the name and number appear on the slates as the climax. I have had spectators who saw my show years earlier remark about how they still remember that effect.
Piers
View Profile
Inner circle
A Limited Edition of
1459 Posts

Profile of Piers
Some great thoughts on Slates.

Old fashioned they may be, but that's part of the charm, and the effects can still be great!

Still a hard choice though, for nice looking, wooden slates.

Best, Piers.
Smile

Piers
View Profile
Inner circle
A Limited Edition of
1459 Posts

Profile of Piers
Spirit Slates.

For those who have an interest, buying a GOOD set of Spirit Slates seems a daunting task.

( Though I have had some excellent advice from Café members )

I seem to have narrowed it down to three; the Dr.Q Slates, Dave Powell and the Marchese Slates.

Is there any difference in them, all being of a similar price ?

I know the type of wood might differ, but assume the mechanism is similar if not the same ?

Any final thoughts much appreciated.

Piers.
Smile

RickThibau
View Profile
Loyal user
Brazil
245 Posts

Profile of RickThibau
I use spirit slates only for seances.
I think they would look tricky in another performance..
slydini62
View Profile
Special user
903 Posts

Profile of slydini62
Juan Tamariz closes his show with the Spirit Slates!

His slate routine is in book called "The Magic Way" and nothing can come close to this routine!

By the way, I use the Marchese Slates!
Piers
View Profile
Inner circle
A Limited Edition of
1459 Posts

Profile of Piers
I've just bought some of the Marchese Slates available from Bobkohlermagic.com.
They look superb.
Piers.
Smile

Mogwai II
View Profile
Veteran user
The Alpes
309 Posts

Profile of Mogwai II
The Slates from Gene Anderson, which come with "Picto Transpo" are wonderful to use.
They are made from Whiteboard Material, so they have a more modern look, than chalkboards.

handle like a dream. Highly recommended! The effect itself is great!
"You'll wonder when he comes, you'll wonder more when he's gone..." www.zaubererlink.ch
MindStepper
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of MindStepper
I've used the Marchese slates to great effect. They are virtually noiseless, can be fully examined as they lock, and are easy to manipulate. We have used them in front of a number of close up audiences (During seances), with never a problem.

I will tell you that we also used, during those same seances, some inexpensive ungimmicked slates, that were also very effective. Tarbell has some valuable information on handling ungimmicked slates in a manner that makes believers out of your audience. We wanted more than one message per show, and solved the problem this way, to great effect. We'd first do the 'tarbell' manipulation of the normal slates, then close with the Marchese slates. Very strong.

Hope this helps.

Verne
mindstepper
MindStepper
Piers
View Profile
Inner circle
A Limited Edition of
1459 Posts

Profile of Piers
Gosh, that sounds really strong!

Double the impact.

Piers.
Smile

Hayre
View Profile
Regular user
Arkansas
150 Posts

Profile of Hayre
A set of Maverick's on the way. Will post thoughts.
Steve Suss
View Profile
Inner circle
1014 Posts

Profile of Steve Suss
Don't knock the impact of a good slate routine. I've used Juan Tamariz routine for years and my audience loves it. Over the years I've developed it more and more and always include it in my act.
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
I know some guys have a bit of an aversion to using slates because of the old school nature of the prop.

But I used them in my theater show for two months and they were a real convincer.
(I will point out there was no gaff and I am proud that a couple of magicians asked me were I ditched the F**P)

Audience members even handled the slates and all sides were shown. (Really)

But I recently read a slate like effect in Pentalogy by R.Shane and have every intention of using his idea in my work.
It is a slate like effect with note cards.
(I will use post cards with his writing idea)
Very clever revelation idea I think as well as logical.

What I read came from the free down load from Leaping Lizards site.

Anyway I thought it some clever thinking and possibly some of you might like it to.

If you don't think the same don't run your yaps because you can down load it for free.

J ack
“I can make Satan’s devils dance like fine gentlemen across the stage of reality”.
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5208 Posts

Profile of Lord Of The Horses
Jack, I came up and used the same routine (well, almost) as Shane, including the double Carlyle Paddle move with both hands for a spirit revelation with two blank business cards and a word.

Basically the spirits wrote a spectator's thought of word inside the two business cards held between spectator's hands. Yes, a spiritic... book-test!

But one thing I also did in my version - and I liked it a lot - is to get the spectator to open his hands at a certain point and I openly remove the two cards from his hands, almost in doubt (!) as to why the spirit has not written anything on them yet...

And, no need for any kind of move here... The two business cards still appear blank!...

Then when he closes his hands again on the two cards, after some more byplay and some mystic spell... spectator open his hands again and this time, when the cards are separated, the thought of word has finally been etched between the cards...
I suggest you to read... DIRECTIONAL MIND PATHS - Vol.1: Beyond The Veil Of Maya and also to read DANGEROUS - XXI Century Dual Reality Techniques
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
Paolo,

I like that.
Very nice thought!

Thanks for the clever bit of fun.

Now all the other fella's will be rushing to figure out what and the heck it is you and I are going on about.

J ack
“I can make Satan’s devils dance like fine gentlemen across the stage of reality”.
Corona Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Airstrip One
1689 Posts

Profile of Corona Smith
I too have been playing with this one, came from double sided coin thinking, not sure I agree with padlle move for both hands though, is it not better to emphasise real turn over as you peddle your paddle with t'other?

Corona.
Corona Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Airstrip One
1689 Posts

Profile of Corona Smith
The Pentalogy effect has several subtleties that had not crossd my mind, thanks for the tip Javk, and Paulo the second look sounds like a good bit of psychological buisiness, thanks fellas!

All the best, Corona...
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
Just a bit more organic than slates.
However I still use them (Slates) for they are better projectiles to hurl at the skeptics.

One is less inclined to speak against a fellow who will hurl slabs of stone at his detractors I have found.

Yes another helpfull hint.

Have a good time.

J ack
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5208 Posts

Profile of Lord Of The Horses
You're welcome Coruna...
I suggest you to read... DIRECTIONAL MIND PATHS - Vol.1: Beyond The Veil Of Maya and also to read DANGEROUS - XXI Century Dual Reality Techniques
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Spirit Slates for Mentalism (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.331251 seconds, requiring 108 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [3] [1] [5] [2] [5] [3] [4] [4]