The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The International Brotherhood of Magicians! » » Question About IBM Meetings (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Steve Hart
View Profile
Veteran user
Palm Bay, FL
383 Posts

Profile of Steve Hart
I have found that Magic Club meetings are what you make of them.

The more magic the better the meeting. So I encourage everyone to take some magic to perform to each meeting. Even if it is old trick everyone has seen before. The classics are classics for a reason.

The more magic the better the meeting. Plus the word will get out and the club will grow.

Don't plagued every one with a business meeting. Move the business meeting to another night or hold it an hour before the regular meeting. Business meetings can be boring. That is what the officers of the club are for. Let them decide the direction for the club. If you don't like what they decide then vote them out and put in new officers. Every one has an opinion and if you conduct your business during your regular meeting time then you will waste time hearing what everyone else has to say. Let your leaders decide for you.

The more magic performed skillfully the better the club. Schedule at least one teach-a-trick for every meeting. This will encourage others to share their secrets if they wish. The whole idea of having a magic club meeting is to perform and learn magic.

You don't have to explain every trick you perform, especially if the trick is still available on the market and you are not the inventor.

Learn to perform the tricks from the Tarbell course of Magic. It contains some excellent magic for both performance and explanation.

Enjoy,

Steve Hart
www.SteveHartSpeaks.com
www.magic2motivate.com
"Motivational Magicians are some of the highest paid magicians, find out why?"
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24145 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
That's another thing that we do. We have a sign-up sheet at the door so anyone who has a trick they want to do for the club can do it. It keeps magic happening.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
Steve,

Those are excellent suggestions. We also schedule the magic first, then follow that with the business meeting. There is no use making people sit through a business meeting before they get to see some magic.

Yours,

Paul
Jim Stan Magic Man
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago Area
237 Posts

Profile of Jim Stan Magic Man
I belong to two independent magic clubs in my area. We have a 100% positive membership vote prior to letting someone into the club. This is to ensure that there will be no personality issues. It has also kept the clubs closer and more active as these members join because they want to be there. You must be sponsored to become a member, but guests are always welcome. We have had great success with this formula. One club has been in existance since 1950 using this format and is still going strong. In one club we always have a 'theme' night. We cover every aspect of magic from cards to mentalism to stage magic, etc. The members seem to have more fun and are more active participants.
I have gone to a couple of IBM and SAM meetings in the past and it just did not seem the same. Some clubs do not seem too interested in making new guys feel welcome which is a shame. Maybe I will give one a chance again in the future.

Best regards,
Jim
Richard Lucas
View Profile
Special user
TX fornow- MemberMagicCastle'65-'88
739 Posts

Profile of Richard Lucas
Any Rings/Clubs in and around so. Jersey, Camden/Gloucester County? I'll be moving there in August.

Thanks for helping.

Dick
"The only difference between a Card Cheat and a Magician is that the Magician shows off.".......... Jay Ose 1965

Dicklucas
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The International Brotherhood of Magicians! » » Question About IBM Meetings (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL