The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Picture Duplication (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

kyle_freemason
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

Profile of kyle_freemason
I recently went to see a mentalism show and while there a stage picture duplication impressed me. I am unsure of how the effect was done. Two spectators were taken from the audience (no preshow work or confederates) and one was told that he was to be the sender and the other was to be the reciever. The person to recieve had a blindfold put on and then a box placed over his head to ensure that he could not see. The sender was shown a couple cards that had sports, holiday, etc written on them (four of 5 of these were shown to the sender as examples to get an idea of what he would like to draw). He drew his image out and while he was doing this the reciever was to draw at the same time what he was 'mentally recieving.' I know both spectators and neither one was able to tell me at all how they were able to send or recieve. The reciever said it just seemed he was thinking he should draw a christmas tree and the sender said he saw the magicians card that said holiday so he decided to draw a christmas tree. Both of the drawings of course matched. Does anyone know of a routine that would explain how this is accomplished? I was thinking I once saw this sort of routine mentioned in Derren Browns work. Also I have read Open Transmission by Kennedy, however, I wonder if there are any other methods. Any ideas?
MM
Butler # 254
sjdavison
View Profile
Inner circle
Surrey, UK
1379 Posts

Profile of sjdavison
Hmm, not sure you'll get an answer here in an open forum asking so brazenly. However, Jermay has some interesting ideas of spectator drawing duplications while blindfolded, and I am sure that the fact there were cards involved would give you more of an idea.

Si
Simon, 32, UK

www.sidavisonmagic.com
r1z08
View Profile
Inner circle
1158 Posts

Profile of r1z08
I agree with Si. This is most likely a dual-reality type effect and those are pretty hard to decipher because there is some devious things going on. Also, your recollection of this demonstration may have been miscontrude by your own creativity and imagination. Keep that in mind while trying to pick this one apart.
Corona Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Airstrip One
1689 Posts

Profile of Corona Smith
It was probably a version or variation of the effect you cited by kennedy who in turn cites banachek who in turn cites.....?

or

Your friends are really psychic

or

They lied to you

or the performer was able to encompass your friends in his psychomagnetic dodecahedron force field rendering them psychic for long enough to perform the experiment, however if this were the case the magi is likely to have appeared very drained afterwards due to the iron filings in the blood all pointing the same way.

Corona.
J ack Galloway
View Profile
Inner circle
1309 Posts

Profile of J ack Galloway
You you know what Corona I was fine with your post up untill the last bit of truth.

I find it maddening that if you expose a magic trick on this open forum it is relocated to the inner thoughts forum.

But if one reveals truth of reality for the world to see no one does a thing.

Jack

H.12/O.17 A-X
Corona Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Airstrip One
1689 Posts

Profile of Corona Smith
My apologies sir, Ithoughtthiswasinnerthoughts (a parallellodrome)

Corona

JJ124/2dei.
Kevin Wade
View Profile
Loyal user
226 Posts

Profile of Kevin Wade
Kyle:

I believe what you saw was Brian Brushwood's "Simpatico." There are a couple of short threads on The Café about the routine. You can own it for $400 by going to Brian's site at:

http://www.shwood.com/

Go to the "For Magicians" section.

I had a buddy who saw Brian perform this just two nights ago. He said it was a great routine.

Kevin
kyle_freemason
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

Profile of kyle_freemason
Kevin,

That is exactly who I saw perform this routine. I was not sure if it was a routine specific to Brian or if perhaps it was someone elses published routine that he took and remade to fit his own needs. Brian does it very well and as for an earlier comment that my friends may have lied, they are honest and were unable to honestly tell me even once they got together what make this effect work. Thanks for your input everyone and Kevin, I am sure your friend enjoyed the show.
MM
Butler # 254
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Picture Duplication (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL