The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Question About Tossed Out Decks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
johnra
View Profile
Elite user
oklahoma
439 Posts

Profile of johnra
I have a question about tossed out decks. I'm not looking for the best one or anything or I'd post it in the review sections. I have been trying to study tossed out decks and I would like to know if anyone has ever created one with a regular deck or even an impromtu tossed out deck?
John
John Shackelford LIVE!!!
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1279 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
Well, whats a tossed out deck???
NeoMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
I have...
2017 Posts

Profile of NeoMagic
^ defined by our very own Larry Davidson as,

"... a stage or parlor mentalism effect where the magician places a rubber band around a deck of cards, tosses the deck into the audience, three spectators each peek at a card, the last spectator tosses the deck back to the magician, and without even looking at the deck the magician names all three cards..."

... and variations thereof
See and download my latest free card-suits-themed desktop wallpaper | HERE
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3123 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
Yes, people have created their own decks.

The original routine was created by David Hoy. Gazzo has a nice handling.

Tossed Out Deck?
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
nique
View Profile
Special user
Singapore
786 Posts

Profile of nique
Max Maven's handling of this is worth checking out. It's on his Videomind series. Lots of thinking behind it.
"ChairLess - A Chair Prediction" is now available!
PM or email me for details:
[email]nique@mindmagicshow.com[/email]
Reviews here:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=462773&forum=303&13
www.mindmagicshow.com
Michaels
View Profile
Elite user
407 Posts

Profile of Michaels
Wayne Dobson's routine is also worthy of a peek. The effect has a nice crescendo.
Michaels
"Our technology is ahead of our humanity"
Albert Einstein
Kaylan
View Profile
Special user
CT
758 Posts

Profile of Kaylan
I second Michaels' opinion re: Wayne Dobson's version, which you can see on his Unclamped: Live in London DVD.

:) Kaylan

PS...It's not very hard to make your own deck - the whole thing is really about how you present it.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1475 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I actually have a monster impromptu tossed-out deck effect that works for 52 spectators at once. I have heard it argued, however, that it gets a bit montonous and may give the effect away to the astute spectator. Similarly, I have a "turbo-flustration" count that shows 52-as-1, and works with a borrowed deck, seemingly turning it into a one-way force deck; this has, however, encountered the same criticisms.
It's the nexus of the crisis
And the origin of storms
johnra
View Profile
Elite user
oklahoma
439 Posts

Profile of johnra
Lol lobowolfxxx I agree you'd have to be pretty bored not to catch what's going on after the fortyith or so time. As for the rest of you this is getting awesome results please keep it coming. I know the Hoy method and Max Maven's method, and I like both. In fact you can basically do Hoy's method in a much cleaner way with a Svengali deck. Since the Svengali I got was from a dollar store {just for a practice Svengali}I figure most others will have this also, but the cards were rough and smooth so you could fan them and show a regular deck. You can use the same Hoy presentation for that. Max Maven's I like and don't like. I like it because it's a tossed out deck, but it requires fishing and I don't like that while he gives a few outs to make it seem like your not fishing you still are. I'm looking for the ones that are straight forward and you can just go wham bam thank you mama without fishing.
Thanks for all advice and whats to come.

I'm sorry in advance lobowolfxxx if you were not kidding. I just wanted to ask where can the Dobson version be found. I heard it was in unclammped and Dobson's choice, but I dunno where to get them and if I end up getting one which one Unclammped or the Dobsonss choice the sequal book?
John
P.S. I'm most likely only going to get one thing for the time being so I'm trying to make the best choice.
John Shackelford LIVE!!!
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5217 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Wayne Dobson's version is great. To learn all of the nuances of Wayne's routine, I recommend that you purchase his Unclamped DVD instead of the booklet in which it appears, Dobson's Choice 2- the Sequel. That's not to say that the booklet isn't good...in fact, I recommend all three of his booklets.

Larry
Kaylan
View Profile
Special user
CT
758 Posts

Profile of Kaylan
I got my Unclamped from Stevens.

:)
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1475 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2006-02-07 07:49, johnra wrote:
Im sorry in advance lobowolfxxx if you were not kidding.

Have no fear! That post was, of course, entirely tongue-in-cheek.
It's the nexus of the crisis
And the origin of storms
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
Harry Anderson's routine in "Wise Guy" is brilliant and is well worth studying if you are considering performing this effect.
PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
johnra
View Profile
Elite user
oklahoma
439 Posts

Profile of johnra
Phue I'm glad I didn't offend you. Thanks for the help. Anymore suggestions or information about any tossed out decks? I guess its fairly new news nowa days about the Tossed Out Deck and it doesn't seem like theres actually that many. Let's see Gazzos,Cody Fishers,Doc Hilford, David Hoy, Max Maven, Wayne Dobson,& Harry Anderson. Do all of these use "Trick" Decks" and are there any I missed? What's the history of the effect? Is it just traced to Hoy and the chains started. The reason I'm trying to find out all this information is because I've devised my own version and I don't want it to be something already done. If all the other Tossed Out Decks use close to Hoy's method which Mavens does and I hear Gazzos does and I'm sure Dobsons most likely does the Hilford version does, I dunno if its just Harry's presentation or what but I'd imagine it also does? I think this is a great topic and it really gets my brain into gear and helps me figure out if my method is original or not.
Thanks in advance for any more advice and what was already given.

Well Thanks all for your inquiries I guess when you tell someone you created an effect evryone loses intrest. But this had a good run and Im happy I gotta few wrinkles in my brain on what to get.
John
John Shackelford LIVE!!!
jecar
View Profile
Veteran user
358 Posts

Profile of jecar
Quote:
On 2006-02-07 07:28, johnra wrote:

<snip>

I know the Hoy method and max mavens method and I like both in fact you can basically do hoys method in a much cleaner way with a Svengali deck. Since the Svengali I got was from a dollar store{just for a practice Svengali}I figure most others will have this also but the cards were rough and smooth so you could fan them and show a regular deck. You can use the same Hoy presentation for that.

<snip>

John

John,

I'm puzzled at how you can do the Hoy method in a much cleaner way, using a Svengali deck. To me, this would pit the 'hands off by magician/mentalist' against the 'hands on ONLY by the magician/mentalist'. It seems to me, that if the performer didn't need to handle the cards, it would be much cleaner. Then you also have, with the TOD, the number of cards seen by the spectator*s*, versus the one card saw by *a* spectator, using the SD, which is a superior feature, in my opinion.

Also, in my opinion, the 'Tossed Out Deck' is much cleaner than the 'Svengali Deck' because of the ease in using it. It just can't get any easier than to simply toss a deck out and have several folks glimpse a card, pass the deck on to have a couple of others do the same thing and then hand the deck back to you. In fact, the performer really never needs to touch the cards...how clean is that? ;-)

I don't see how you could do the same Hoy effect with the cards you mentioned. Maybe I just missed something, which wouldn't be the first time. ;-))

Cheers,

Jerry
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5217 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
A Svengali Deck can be used for the TOD effect and tossed out to a number of spectators. Some would say that the "advantage" of using the deck for this effect is that the cards can first be shown to be all different, as johnra mentioned.
johnra
View Profile
Elite user
oklahoma
439 Posts

Profile of johnra
Yep yep, In max mavens dvd with the tossed out tech trick in it he explained hoys method and how he revamped it. Now I was watching the maven performance and he explains to just open the deck and peek a card well you could also tell them how you want them to hold the deck in order to peek and then hoys method can be applied.
John
John Shackelford LIVE!!!
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1971 Posts

Profile of John Long
Jecar

I'm not clear about your concerns about the use of the SD

1) If there is a rubber band around the deck and the spec is shown how to riffle thru the deck, the magician doesn't have to handle it.

2) Merge multiple SD's to allow multiple choices

3) As pointed out, the rough/smooth allows you to show the deck to be normal.

John
jecar
View Profile
Veteran user
358 Posts

Profile of jecar
Quote:
On 2006-02-11 20:32, John Long wrote:
Jecar

I'm not clear about your concerns about the use of the SD

1) If there is a rubber band around the deck and the spec is shown how to riffle thru the deck, the magician doesn't have to handle it.

2) Merge multiple SD's to allow multiple choices

3) As pointed out, the rough/smooth allows you to show the deck to be normal.

John

Hi John,

Point number 3 is what threw me off. A normal SD is not r/s, a r/s SD is called a Mirage Deck, at least that's what Haine's House of Cards call them. Perhaps other manufacturers call them something else.

Anyway, I am sorry I missed the point of the deck you speak about is better than a normal TOD and I agree with you, now that I understand better. In fact, putting together multible r/s SDs (point 2) is another point that I missed, I now can now see how it is much better than a regular TOD. Thanks for straightening me out.

Jerry
noumena
View Profile
Regular user
Orange County, CA
136 Posts

Profile of noumena
The Cassandra Deck by Doc Hillford can be ribon spread if you like. The other arguable advantage is that you name the though of cards to the individual spectator. That is not possible with the original tossed out deck by David Hoy or many other versions. You can also perform this version for up to 6-8 people.

- Brandon Cross
JHodgeCMI
View Profile
Veteran user
Washington State
352 Posts

Profile of JHodgeCMI
Don't forget Richard Osterlind's Radar Deck!
Howard Coberly
View Profile
Loyal user
Irvine, California
239 Posts

Profile of Howard Coberly
I'm familiar with the tossed out deck and I also with tricks like John Kennedy's "Mind Power Deck". My question to those of you who use the TOD regularly is this: Do you feel that the TOD is superior to those methods wherein the magician must ask certain questions before naming the spectator's card??

In my personal opinion, I believe that to ask questions before naming the card is a definite giveaway that the magician doesn't know the card exactly and must "fish" for the right card. I have used the Mind Power deck and have seen it used by other magicians to great response (so, maybe the questions are not a giveaway??). While I have never used the TOD in performance, I have seen it also get great responses.

What do you think????
Thanks, Howard
"Our town used to be more fortunate...not a single winter passed without the visit of some star.
There used to be famous actors and singers, while today, God only knows! Nobody visits except magicians and organ-grinders. No esthetic satisfaction."
Pete Biro
View Profile
V.I.P.
18260 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Tamariz doesn't need a force deck. Think about it, based on what he's published.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7 years no smoking. And counting
6933 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Quote:
On 2006-02-06 20:40, nique wrote:
Max Maven's handling of this is worth checking out. It's on his Videomind series. Lots of thinking behind it.

Which one(Volume)
Foxbiz
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta
194 Posts

Profile of Foxbiz
The original question was to an imprompto deck... I can offer nothing there....

As to nice routines, Paul Gertner ends his TOD with revealing the 3 thought of cards are the only cards he has left in his hand. It's in his lecture notes from 5 years ago. He uses it in his trade show routines. Good stuff

Lynn Fox
Magicpitch
View Profile
Regular user
198 Posts

Profile of Magicpitch
David Regal's "In Flight" doesn't require the typical switch. I'm quite fond of that version myself. Often times I'm wearing jeans and a t-shirt, so the "business" that has to be taken care of leaves me no where to take care of it. That's why I like Regal's version. Start and end with the same deck.

Steve
Trying to do the right thing, one customer at a time!
http://www.magicpitch.com/
We weed out the junk so you don't have to!
Visit our Blog at http://magicpitch.blogspot.com/
Martino
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, UK
912 Posts

Profile of Martino
John Archer's version has the spectators completely examine and shuffle the deck first. It can be found on his 2 DVD set "Educating Archer". This is also a hilarious comedy routine. John's tips are worth their weight in gold to the real performer!

Martino.
"There's a difference between not knowing how something is done and knowing it can't be done!" - Simon Aronson
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
Jack Dean came up with "Bagatelle" which uses baggage tags with the names of cities and countries instead of playing cards. It is a refreshing change.
PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
Bad Luck Network
10957 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Quote:
On 2006-02-07 07:28, johnra wrote:
Lol lobowolfxxx I agree you'd have to be pretty bored not to catch what's going on after the fortyith or so time. As for the rest of you this is getting awesome results please keep it coming. I know the Hoy method and Max Maven's method, and I like both. In fact you can basically do Hoy's method in a much cleaner way with a Svengali deck. Since the Svengali I got was from a dollar store {just for a practice Svengali}I figure most others will have this also, but the cards were rough and smooth so you could fan them and show a regular deck. You can use the same Hoy presentation for that. Max Maven's I like and don't like. I like it because it's a tossed out deck, but it requires fishing and I don't like that while he gives a few outs to make it seem like your not fishing you still are. I'm looking for the ones that are straight forward and you can just go wham bam thank you mama without fishing.
Thanks for all advice and whats to come.

I'm sorry in advance lobowolfxxx if you were not kidding. I just wanted to ask where can the Dobson version be found. I heard it was in unclammped and Dobson's choice, but I dunno where to get them and if I end up getting one which one Unclammped or the Dobsonss choice the sequal book?
John
P.S. I'm most likely only going to get one thing for the time being so I'm trying to make the best choice.

Funny how the simpliest of all ideas (Svengali) could be the strongest. This would be easy to pull off if it works (single card idea) but I don't want to elaborate here on the open forum. Nice idea!

Candini
Nathan Kranzo
View Profile
V.I.P.
2629 Posts

Profile of Nathan Kranzo
The Svengali or "long and short" principle has been used quite a bit in the past. Al Baker has an excellent deck that can be shown front and back and will force two different cards.

Both the Telematic and the Psychomatic decks marketed a few years back work great as well.

Marv Long published his effect "Tossed Way Out". 5 people pick cards and you name off 4. 4 People sit down and one is left standing. A prediction is opened to reveal the exact card of the person left standing. No multiple out and no guess work. You really know what card they are thinking of.

Similar in effect to the recent David Ben handling but different method.

All the best,

Kranzo
check out MINDZILLA VOL. 2!!! Brand New Effects. Instant Downloads. Watch Demo Videos. Click below!!!

KranzoMagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Question About Tossed Out Decks (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.403225 seconds, requiring 106 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [5] [8] [0] [3] [7] [7] [1] [5]