The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Greatest card books (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
cardpunk1206
View Profile
New user
oregon
51 Posts

Profile of cardpunk1206
What in your guy's opinion is the greatest card book of all time?
We Need To Be Astonished. -Paul Harris
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
The Theory of Poker, by David Sklansky. Frank Stewart's "The Bridge Player's Comprehensive Guide to Defense" is very good, also.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
Expert at the Card Table by By S.W. Erdnase.
NeoMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
I have...
2017 Posts

Profile of NeoMagic
Expert Card Technique - Hugard/Braue
See and download my latest free card-suits-themed desktop wallpaper | HERE
sodman12
View Profile
Special user
raleigh
601 Posts

Profile of sodman12
Super System by Doyal Brunson
you can fool all of the people some of the time and some of the people all the time but never all of the people all the time.
scorch
View Profile
Inner circle
1480 Posts

Profile of scorch
Quote:
On 2006-02-07 13:55, cardpunk1206 wrote:
What in your guy's opinion is the greatest card book of all time?

Can you narrow down your definition of "card book?"
Gary Dayton
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
542 Posts

Profile of Gary Dayton
Vernon's Inner, More Inner, & Further Inner Secrets of Card Magic by Ganson.
Marlo's Marlo in Spades.
Card College Series by Giobbi
Stars of Magic (not just cards)
Card Magic of LePaul
Magic of Matt Schulien
Sonata by Tamariz
Mnenomica also Tamariz
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4639 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
Card college, book 1.

Im also a fan of "play poker like the pros" by hellmouth.

ben train
p.s.
supersystem, by brunsons own account, is outdated. If you want to learn from brunson, get supersystem2.
If you're reading this you're my favourite magician.

Check out www.TorontoMagicCompany.com for upcoming shows, and instagram.com/train.ben for god knows what!
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
Expert at the Card Table really doesn't have much competition.

It's also probably the only card book that's been discected word by word.
Paul Chosse
View Profile
V.I.P.
1955 - 2010
2389 Posts

Profile of Paul Chosse
"Greater Magic" is not generally considered a "card book". THAT is a huge mistake. The original edition, over 1,000 pages, was 60% card magic! In fact, several versions of the material in "Greater Magic" have been issued. It was released in a single volume, in a two-volume edition (very limited), in a five-volume "library edition", and in an abbreviated form. The abbreviated text was 586 pages and was titled, "Hilliards Card Magic"! For a long time, this was THE "Card Book" I carried with me everywhere I went.

Consider the contributors: John Northern Hilliard himself, to start. (Let's remember, by the way, that Jean Hugard, the author of many excellent early card works, including with "Royal Road..." and ECT, was involved in the production of GM - as its editor!).

There is an entire section called "Card Stars of the USA". It includes Dai Vernon, S. Leo Horowitz, (Mohammed Bey), Ted Annemann, Al Baker, etc. Jack McMillen contributed several very fine items.

Ralph (R.W.) Hull described an excellent routine that constitutes an entire chapter and an entire act(!), called "The Tuned Deck". The chapters on the classics are excellent, including many methods for "The Rising Cards".

There are great chapters on trick decks, chapters on locator cards, information on stacked deck work. Slieght of hand in its many forms is covered extensively.

Other magicians represented include Liepzig, Cardini, and lesser known but no less important contributors like Bill McCaffrey, whose "Prize Winner" became a best-selling card trick in the Abbott Catalog under another magician's name.

How this material has been so overlooked is a puzzle to me, since it is an incredibly common book, in its many formats. there were somewhere in the nieghborhood of ten THOUSAND copies of the one-volume edition printed. With the library edition, which was actually "remaindered" in normal bookstores for $1.00 a volume (!), and the "Card Magic" edition, this book is one of the "most re-printed" magic books ever. It should be in every "Cardman's" library.

I would unhesitatingly vote "Greater Magic" as the "Number One" greatest card book ever made available to the general magic fraternity. Erdnase, my PERSONAL favorite, runs second, at least, because of its limited scope and appeal. In its area of speciality, it is, bar none, the best text ever written, but magically, "Greater Magic" is a "Greater Book"...

Best, PSC
"You can't steal a gift..." Dizzy Gillespie
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2537 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
For sheer volume, Paul's choice of Greater Magic makes good sense. It's really an extraordinary book.

My personal favorite: Dai Vernon's More Inner Secrets of Card Magic, written by Lewis Ganson:

Chapter One - Twisting the Aces
Chapter Two - Think of a Card (several methods)
Chapter Three - Oil and Water
Chapter Four - McDonald's $100 Routine (yes, it's the Ace routine)
Chapter Five - The Notis Cascade (one handed waterfall shuffle)
Chapter Six - Mainly Manipulation (including Cardini's card production)
Chapter Seven - Magic with the Riffle Shuffle (includes the Zarrow shuffle)
Chapter Eight - Crimps
Chapter Nine - Cards to Pocket
Chapter Ten - Forcing a Card
Chapter Eleven - The Trick That Cannot Be Explained
Chapter Twelve - Vernon Touches

87 pages. High signal. Very little noise. And enough good material for a good magician to build an entire act.

Highly recommended.
"To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time."

-Leonard Bernstein
mike greene
View Profile
New user
Manchester
80 Posts

Profile of mike greene
I'll second Greater Magic

I picked it up about a year ago for next to nothing at a charity shop (original version too I think, over 1000 pages WOW) and have barely put it down since. If you have a chance to own this book, get it!
My personal second would be the entire Card College Series.

MIKE
ALL I NEED IS ONE LIFE, ONE TRY, ONE BREATH, I'M ONE MAN, WHAT I STAND FOR SPEAKS FOR ITSELF - NAS
MojoMagi
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of MojoMagi
At the Card Table by Darwin Ortiz
Just my opinion..
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5472 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
I'll second the Ganson series of Vernon books. In fact, every single book on this thread is a most worthy selection. I would also add pretty much anything by Harry Lorayne, not to mention about a dozen (two dozen?) others I can think of at the moment. Choosing a best or favorite card book is like trying to choose a favorite song or movie or food or... Too much great stuff!!
linhong
View Profile
New user
Seattle
74 Posts

Profile of linhong
Basics: Card College, Expert Card Technique
Classics: The Expert at the Card Table, books by Dai Vernon and Harry Lorayne
Personal Favorite: Anything by Darwin Ortiz
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
An overlooked classic is The Card Magic of LePaul - GREAT teachings on sleights and some extremely entertaining plots, too. Some of the BEST card work EVER. Also the Collected Leech book from Magic, Inc, simply because it is Al Leech.

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Erdnase27
View Profile
Inner circle
2505 Posts

Profile of Erdnase27
Expert Card technique
Expert at the card table
Card College 1,2,3,4,5
Dear Mr Fantasy
Vernon : Inner secrets, more inner secrets and further inner secrets
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2827 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
Smile That is a nice Card book!!
:bikes: Smile Smile
<<<KRaZy4kardz>>>
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
I own Greater Magic- Fantastic. I find it hard to believe that there is a magician out there who feels the greatest card book of all time is one written by Phil Hellmuth. Anyway, Erdnase is the text Vernonj devoted his life to... we all know that. Le paul, Bill Simon, Hugard and Braue, Expert card tequ... yadda yadda yadda... all must haves for any student.
My personal favourite? Close-up Card Magic by Harry Lorayne. I know it's not inthe same category as the aforementioned books... but it's in a category by itself...............And might I mention a couple of secret little gems written by Rufus Steele? DEVASTATING!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Greatest card books (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL