The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Porper Card Clip (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mustang
View Profile
Veteran user
London, England
316 Posts

Profile of Mustang
Was just wondering whether anyone knows if it is ok to engrave on one of the original Joe Porper Card Clips or whether the black enamel on the surface will chip/scratch. Has anyone tried?
"A magician is one who appreciates the difference between knowing how a trick is done, and knowing how to do a trick."
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
On the Dai Vernon version of Joe's clip, which he signs personally, it looks like he has done just that, an engraving of his signature.
I believe it's black anodizing (oxide) which is bonded electrolyticlly directly to the metal of the clip.

The clip is so nice though that I'd contact Joe directly and ask him.

information@porperoriginals.com
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4464 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
Just a beware, I have heard rumours of a copy cat creating immitation Joe Porper card clips, ripping off the Card guards, making them black with the indented spine, but no signature, just be careful if you see these
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
mxray
View Profile
Loyal user
276 Posts

Profile of mxray
The thought of engraving had also crossed my mind. It would be nice to have your name engraved on it. Perhaps Joe should offer this service (for a fee) to those who would like that.

Thanks for the heads up about the fakes. Probably the best way to make sure you''re not buying a bad knock off is to just buy directly from Joe himself. That's what I have done.
MXRay
Felicitas
View Profile
New user
Maryland
36 Posts

Profile of Felicitas
Yes it is, and I've done just that. I took mine to "Things Remebered," an engraving store, and got both sides engraved. This was back in september and to this day nothing has chipped or scratched off due to the engraving. I keep mine with me always, and will often forget my cell phone or car keys but always have my proper and a pack of bikes.

-A.J.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream? -Edgar Allen Poe
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3332 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
Yeah!!!! Get in engraved - it looks great. Silver nicely shows through the black surface.

I'm even thinking of having a (force) card on the other side if I can find someone who can do it! Anybody know of anyone?
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Porper will Laser Cut any line image on a clip for you. Email or call him for price. Yes it is Anodized on the surface.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3332 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
Thanks Pete, I'm on the case - aaagh, bad pun!
mxray
View Profile
Loyal user
276 Posts

Profile of mxray
Quote:
On 2006-02-08 15:35, Roger Kelly wrote:
Thanks Pete, I'm on the case - aaagh, bad pun!

Be careful not to get clipped for too much scratch..
lol
( Sorry, I couldn't resist. )
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1272 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
The Porper is by far the best. I have a card guard by penguin, and it scratches and ruins the card box. The porper keeps the cards in perfect condition all the time. And, someone was saying above that the silver shows nicely through the black. I thought that the metal in the clip was ALL black, not just colored black on the outside. Is that true or false? -Cory.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Just one more reason to shop other the penquin.

penquin might be cheap but that does not mean you actually save money shopping there.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3332 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
Quote:
On 2006-02-09 14:45, themagicman101 wrote:
someone was saying above that the silver shows nicely through the black. I thought that the metal in the clip was ALL black, not just colored black on the outside. Is that true or false? -Cory.

Cory, it was me. Yes it is all black but only at surface level! It's silver underneath and makes it ideal for engraving. I can picture a neat Ace of Spades on the back of mine! (Yeah, tacky I know, but cute!)
thecardman
View Profile
Loyal user
Scotland
218 Posts

Profile of thecardman
If any of you are at Blackpool, you'll be able to meet - and buy from - Joe Porper himself as he's going to be there as a dealer.

If you don't have one of his Card Clips - either the plain black ones or the Vernon ones - then do yourselves a favour and visit Joe's stand and pick one up. You can see the sort of stuff that Joe makes and sells by visiting his website.

Happy shopping, folks!

Best wishes

Peter
:)
My new manuscript, "The Difficult Second Album", is now available at www.thecardman.co.uk
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
Joe makes pool cues too.
http://www.porper.com/
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Right... Joe will be at Blackpool. He's leaving the WMS at Las Vegas a day early to get across the Pond. See him early as he's not bringing a huge supply of anything.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1272 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
Quote:
On 2006-02-09 18:46, Roger Kelly wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-02-09 14:45, themagicman101 wrote:
someone was saying above that the silver shows nicely through the black. I thought that the metal in the clip was ALL black, not just colored black on the outside. Is that true or false? -Cory.

Cory, it was me. Yes it is all black but only at surface level! It's silver underneath and makes it ideal for engraving. I can picture a neat Ace of Spades on the back of mine! (Yeah, tacky I know, but cute!)

Ya, I have one myself, and I know that it is all black on the OUTSIDE, but I thought that it was black inside of the metal. Like, if you were to chop it in half. I thought that the inside of the metal itself would be black. But I guess not. I heard somewhere that people were making copies of them. I don't mean the Card Guard, (Although that is a horrible rip off of a card clip) but I mean people making EXACT copies of the porper. Is that true? I know mine is real, because I can tell from the quality, and his signature on the spine. But are people really doing this? If so, who is selling them? I got mine at ellusionist. Its sad that people would do that. Im positive they would be nowhere as good as the original.
mxray
View Profile
Loyal user
276 Posts

Profile of mxray
If you buy a knock of off something like this to maybe save a couple of bucks, you're taking food out of the mouth of the person originated it and who invested considerable money developing and marketing it . You are taking that money from them and then giving it to someone who more or less makes a living stealing from people who originate products like these.

Isn't that what we all detest with our industry/art form? : People stealing and then selling cheap an idea that was not their's to begin with?

And in the end, you likely won't save any money. You'll end up not being satisfied with the knock-off and going out and buying the good stuff anyway...
So much for saving.

I'll get off my soap box now.
MXRay
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
So is he gone now? I didn't know that he would customize them.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Porper Card Clip (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL