The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Paul Wilson on the Royal Road to Card Magic Released! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Every order gets a free The Greatest Collection of Magic Performances Ever Assembled on DVD - VOLUME 2!

L&L is back on track. Hope they keep listening to us!!

R. Paul Wilson on the Royal Road to Card Magic
5-DVD Boxed Set

A COMPLETE COURSE IN CARD MAGIC!

If you are If you are seriously interested in learning card magic, there is no better place to start than The Royal Road to Card Magic with R. Paul Wilson.

"R. Paul Wilson teaching the Royal Road is one of the very best ways to learn card magic. The production values are superb! This is the best DVD course on card magic available today!"
—Bill Malone

Since its initial publication, The Royal Road to Card Magic by Jean Hugard and Frederick Braue has been regarded as the most complete course in sleight of hand with playing cards ever written, teaching essential sleights from the Overhand Shuffle to the Pass and Palm.

Each chapter explores a new sleight followed by several tricks using what the student has already learned—tricks that, incidentally, include many of the best card effects ever created.

AN INCREDIBLE VALUE!
JUST $79.95 FOR THE 5-DISC SET!

Over 8 1/2 hours of instruction!

Beautifully encased in one fold-out keepsake package!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
shaunproof
View Profile
Loyal user
Parts Unknown
228 Posts

Profile of shaunproof
I noticed that many (all but two) of the tricks from the "Platform Tricks" section are missing: Conus Ace Trick, Everywhere and Nowhere, Egyptian Pocket, Cards to the Pocket, Enlarging and Diminishing Cards, Everybody's Card I and Everybody's Card II. And that's one of the greatest chapters of any card magic book EVER.

I find it very telling.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Oh, my. Shaun, you've got quite the eye. Are you thinking the project got rushed because Magic Makers released a set before them?

I was interested in Paul's Pass. He's an absolute master with cards and it should be quite a lesson.

shaunproof
View Profile
Loyal user
Parts Unknown
228 Posts

Profile of shaunproof
Paul is terrific with cards, and I have no doubt that he teaches things clearly and accurately. I just wonder why the Platform Tricks were practically ignored.

When I heard of the set, I was considering buying just the platform tricks DVD. It doesn't appear that you can buy individual discs.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
No, they made it a boxed set, otherwise I would have just gotten the one on the Pass. Hmmm. Interesting.

Jimmy Y
View Profile
Regular user
108 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Y
How is this version compared to the 4 DVD set by Magic Makers Inc.? I have the Magic Makers set but I'm also interested in another version.
Nice to meet you Smile
Jimmy
NeoMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
I have...
2017 Posts

Profile of NeoMagic
Quote:
On 2006-02-17 13:23, shaunproof wrote:

I noticed that many (all but two) of the tricks from the "Platform Tricks" section are missing: Conus Ace Trick, Everywhere and Nowhere, Egyptian Pocket, Cards to the Pocket, Enlarging and Diminishing Cards, Everybody's Card I and Everybody's Card II. And that's one of the greatest chapters of any card magic book EVER.

Here's something R P Wilson posted on another web site (Genii):

"We followed the format of the course, taught the material but I also addressed the problems that I felt dated the course and added ideas that greatly improved the material. We added three effects - one of my own (using a Pass, a Top Change and a Palm under misdirection), one of Dai Vernon's (one of the best Card Tricks ever invented) and a Roy Walton trick that helps teach the Pass beautifully (none of the tricks in the book really utilize the pass properly, IMO)."

and also:

"I teach most of the tricks in the book. I miss some out because I felt they were poor tricks but most are taught."
See and download my latest free card-suits-themed desktop wallpaper | HERE
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I jsut ordered the set. I have Paul's other DVD's and they are fantastic. These will be the same. He's an excellent teacher and knows his stuff.

Hey, you get a free DVD from L&L with it. And free shipping. Why order from the another dealer that willl charge shipping, not include the free DVD and back order the item while taking your money.

Jeremy L.
View Profile
Special user
800 Posts

Profile of Jeremy L.
Quote:
On 2006-02-17 13:49, Jimmy Y wrote:
How is this version compared to the 4 DVD set by Magic Makers Inc.? I have the Magic Makers set but I'm also interested in another version.

I would trust L&L and R. Paul Wilson. Also the ethical side...
Jeremy L.
Do you buy ethically?
Magic Fakes
Tim Trono
View Profile
Inner circle
1114 Posts

Profile of Tim Trono
I was heavily involved in this and I have to say Paul is truly an expert of the Royal Road. He has USED and lived with this material for years. He truly UNDERSTANDS this course, its intentions, its strengths and weaknesses, etc. Paul specifically did not include all items as he felt that on some there are simply better versions that exist. On other items he added his handlings, touches, etc. Paul is just a great teacher because he is not spitting the course back to you on DVD directly from the book but instead giving you his thoughts, his ideas, and hi handlings from years of USING this material. This is a GREAT course for both the expert and the beginner. Paul goes into amazing detail because he has studied this course and understands it more than anyone I have met/seen. I think people will be very happy with it.

Tim Trono
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Tim, you love everything that comes through Murphy's. What don't you like? Be specific, if you don't mind.

Chris

NeoMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
I have...
2017 Posts

Profile of NeoMagic
Is this out in the UK yet?
See and download my latest free card-suits-themed desktop wallpaper | HERE
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I received this today ( L&L ships FAST and they ARE competing with back order/drop ship dealers).

I watched part of disk #4. Paul performs seated, round table, with a few spectators. They seem like people that are TRUE lay folk and not the L&L over the top crowd.

I haven't watched everything, but here's what I think so far:

PURE GENIUS! His performing, teaching and technique are flawless. I am in awe.

There is no comparison with the Rudy Hunter set, which I like. But, it's like the differnece in watching Kevin Spacey act and Morgan Freeman. The L&L set has Morgan Freeman at the helm.

Chris

geoffa
View Profile
New user
Nashville, TN
57 Posts

Profile of geoffa
I just got through watching all of disc #1. I couldn't be more impressed at the level of detail Paul goes into. While I imagine it will take some time for me to go through all five discs, I'm definitely looking forward to it.
-geoff
clamon86
View Profile
Special user
508 Posts

Profile of clamon86
I think its kinda cool that Paul Wilson has the Royal Road dvds.

But whats funny is that probably until the next few months people(who buy the dvds) will begin to realize that there really is good stuff.

I mean what is the purpose of taking a classic book of card magic that many people start out with during the study of card magic and put it on dvd. Is it like we can't read a book or something, or just that magicians in general are so lazy to read the pages and instead would rather watch Paul Wilson handling of many classics in magic.

Paul Wilson is a good card handler but I don't think that putting out DVDs on RRTCM is the way to go.

I think that Ammar's card miracles set was excellent, and Daryl was good with the sleights and revelations but those dvds were a good compilation of effects by many different people and have changed card magic.

Paul Wilson hasn't changed the face of card magic and now he is simply doing some tricks right out of a book and putting out a 5 volume dvd set. For me, at least, this very much puts him at a lower level. After seeing him in Hit the Road and his restaurant dvds I thought he was very good, but this project just makes magician's look bad, and that they can't pick up a book and read it and find out all the gold in there.

just my thoughts

and by the way, if you don't have the book GET IT!!(its cheaper than only one of the dvds, and its the SAME EXACT material and more).
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
How does this make Paul Wilson look bad? He's a Master at his craft and an excellent teacher. Some people don't learn well from books. Illustrations aren't always that clear. I don't you can learn the pass and do it well from a book.

Some people love Shakespeare. Does that mean they shouldn't make some of his works into movies?

I got these to see Paul's work on the pass and it was worth it for that. I couldn't stop watching these last night and was up to 3 a.m. It's an absolute first rate project. Even those with experience performing will find some gems here. It's not just basics. He teaches a Vernon subtlety when palming that improved my pal dramatically.

Will they be for everyone? No, but that doesn't mean they aren't great.

SDR
View Profile
Elite user
430 Posts

Profile of SDR
I'd be interested to see if that statement is re-hashed or exactly what Paul said. I can't believe he thinks the Conus Aces plot is weak?
Jeff Corn
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1190 Posts

Profile of Jeff Corn
Clamon, I see your point, but disagree entirely. I, for one, am slightly dyslexic. I don't learn well from books, especially not on magic. I need to see or hear the things that I'm trying to learn. Another problem is that RRTCM isn't written too well. I looked through it while I was watching the Rudy Hunter instruction on the Pass, because Hunter didn't impress me and I wanted to see the original document he was going from. It wasn't any more clear to me after reading the description and I was watching the Spread Pass, which is something I do a lot. One bad thing about most classic magic books is that they're written in the language of the time, which isn't the same as it is now. Wilson is a great card handler. He knows what he's doing and knows how to teach, so I'm all for him having a set out that teaches everyone the basics based on one of the classic books.
Yes, that is my real name. Yes, I am a real person. No, you probably won't agree with me.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Jeff, you said it best!!

cgscpa
View Profile
Elite user
Ashton, MD
447 Posts

Profile of cgscpa
Video demos are up: http://www.llpub.com/
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Paul Wilson on the Royal Road to Card Magic Released! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL