The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Corradin Box (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

sharpace
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Profile of sharpace
I hope to have a review for the Corradin Box . Any one have got it ? Thanks
John Bowlin
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
827 Posts

Profile of John Bowlin
I have it. For the money I was somewhat dissapointed with the quality of the product. I was expecting it to be made of solid wood but it is made out of pressboard. The design on the box is fairly nice and the gimmick wich makes the box work is clever and done very well except that one part of the gimmick was not cut to size properly making me have to watch my angles a little at the beginning presentation. I may attempt to acquire matrial to remake this part of gimmick so that I don't have handling concerns. The box is visually examinable both inside and out but cannot be handled by a spectator. With a little more attention to detail this could have been a great product. I will use it and it should serve me fairly well. I give it a 7 out of 10.
tdowell
View Profile
Inner circle
1050 Posts

Profile of tdowell
I think this is great. It isn't real wood, but if you tried to replicate the carving onto real wood and sell this it would be priced at several hundred dollars (ala Alan Warner).

The box is intricately carved and looks expensive. It isn't fair to knock it just because it is pressboard. Most won't know or care. It could be painted if your that concerned about the material.

It works great and is really a nice addition to an invisible deck routine. I experience no problems with the gimmick either, which is very clever! There is no apparent difference in the look or measurment of the box or lid from beginning to end. The lid can be shown freely at any time.

John should have requested a replacement for his mismeasured gimmick. My box had no issues.

I give it 10 out of 10. Its not going to blow minds like Trilogy or CMP, but for what you get, ease of effect, beauty, clever gimmick, and overall value, there can't be any reasonable complaint. Its good.
John Bowlin
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
827 Posts

Profile of John Bowlin
Why does every statement on here that doesn't rave about a product have to viewed as an attack? There are very few products in the magic world being produced these days that I could ever give a 10 out of 10 on in my opinion(that's often what part of a review is...an opinion). I wasn't knocking it for being pressboard...was just making a statement. The description in the ad states it being a "fancy and beautiful wooden box". I was a little disappointed...shoot me. The "carving" on the box is not a carving, it is a stamped design btw. At the risk of upsetting anyone I will say that the stamping looks nice. And I see no reason to have requested a replacement for the gimmick piece which would require me to send the whole thing back, postage paid by me. I can replace the gimmick part in question for about $3 or less and 10 minutes with an exacto knife. Can we just give reviews on here without commenting on the other reviewers fairness or lack of or obsession with objectivity. I'm surprised noone has started a review thread reviewing reviewers. "Well that John guy obviously doesn't know a gem from a kidney stone....." For the most part we're a pretty intelligent bunch on here and realize that no single person's review is gospel(with a couple exceptions). I understand why some of the 'ol regulars on here are flying the coup. In the words of the infamous Rodney King..."can't we all just get along?"
rfoxx
View Profile
New user
Camberley, England
5 Posts

Profile of rfoxx
I found the box to be both a nice idea and a decorative item. It took me just 15 mins to fix the gimmick so that it stands up to closer inspection, for my own peace of mind. It looked like some attempt had been made to fix and tweak the fitting and look of the gimmick, which had unfortunately resulted in an unfortunate slip of a marker pen - but nothing that couldn't be fixed. As I paid £54 for the item it would have been nice not to have to finish it off (that marker pen slip would have given the game away) - but I would recommend it to anyone, nonetheless.
I have found it great for making a second deck appear in a routined set that requires 2 different coloured decks.
DeWayne
View Profile
Veteran user
Greencastle, PA
361 Posts

Profile of DeWayne
Do you know if you must produce a deck of cards for the production? Could I show a key, take it out of the box, then produce a pile of coins?

Thanks!
DeWayne
indomagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1143 Posts

Profile of indomagic
Dewayne

Yes you can produce a pile of coins, but the thickness of that pile must be about the same thickness of a deck of card.
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Tdowell
What does CMP stand for?

Andy
Cards never lie
DeWayne
View Profile
Veteran user
Greencastle, PA
361 Posts

Profile of DeWayne
Indomagic,

Understood. Thank you so much! That's exactly what I wanted to know.

DeWayne
DeWayne
View Profile
Veteran user
Greencastle, PA
361 Posts

Profile of DeWayne
Quote:
On 2006-12-03 23:07, Andy the cardician wrote:
Tdowell
What does CMP stand for?

I assume it is Cesarel Melting Point. You can search info about it here on the Café.

DeWayne
Keith Mitchell
View Profile
Special user
799 Posts

Profile of Keith Mitchell
I like the idea behind Corradin Box.

Are there other more expensive boxes similar to Corradin's? Or is there a box that can magically appear a deck of cards and then later make it disappear? This idea would be great with the new Vintage 1800 decks.

Is it possible to use the Corradin Box in multiple routine? Suppose I use the Corradine box to present the Invisible Deck, set the box aside while performing the Invisible deck, and then bring back the Corradine Box to present another deck of cards for another trick. Would this be possible?

Thanks
Keith
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1653 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
The Corradin box is quite a clever set up.
I've used it many times in my shows. Just another way to produce a deck of cards.
Richard
marknem7
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of marknem7
I have to say that after spending $68 for Corradin's Box I also feel it's rather overpriced, perhaps by about $20 to $30. When it arrived, one end of the lid was broken off. Only glue is used in its construction. One of the gimmicks also came imprecisely cut; I'll see if Hocus Pocus is willing to send a replacement. Also, I have to wonder how many performances the other gimmick will withstand before falling apart. Finally, the ad copy could be construed by some as implying that an Invisible Deck is included, which it is not.

While the stamped design on the box is attractive and the method is clever, this product's craftmanship should not be considered high quality. In my opinion, it doesn't justify its cost. 6.5 out of 10 rating.
marknem7
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of marknem7
[quote]Is it possible to use the Corradin Box in multiple routine? Suppose I use the Corradine box to present the Invisible Deck, set the box aside while performing the Invisible deck, and then bring back the Corradine Box to present another deck of cards for another trick. Would this be possible?
[quote]
If I'm following you corrrectly, Keith, no, you can't load/produce more than one deck at a time into the box.
indomagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1143 Posts

Profile of indomagic
It only can load one deck a time. Need to reset for producing another one. I also very much like to introduce my invicible deck with this coradin box.
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
1868 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
I purchased the Corrindan's box and think with some work it will work out just fine. I would suggest that you paint the inside of the box a flat black. Somebody (my wife) saw what was happening the first time she saw it and she's not too educated about magic principles. The black inside will absorb light more evenly and work better.

The only other issue you should be aware of is that the box is designed for a bridge sized deck. A poker sized deck doesn't work as well. Yes it's not real wood, but it is $70 and not $300 which is what a finely carved magical box might cost you. And there is that 'intangible', the secret which has some value.

I can certainly see where this would be a good addition to somebody's act.
Coram Deo
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Corradin Box (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL