The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Magic books and videos for beginners (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
JHodgeCMI
View Profile
Veteran user
Washington State
352 Posts

Profile of JHodgeCMI
Michael Ammar is great for Coins or cards. Jay Sankey's Revolutionary Coin Magic is also good.

Jay
phantomace
View Profile
Special user
651 Posts

Profile of phantomace
Got to say it, BOBOs! I still use this today, over 15 years since I originally bought it. There are many moves that have been virtually unexplored that should be.

Also David Roth has some incredible material. The Expert book is great. Got to love the coins through glass table.
James Fortune
View Profile
Elite user
UK
474 Posts

Profile of James Fortune
Has anyone seen the new DVD Ultimate Coin Magic Collection 1 by David Roth?

It looks excellent as it also deals with 'standard' gaffs.
Warmest regards

James

James Fortune

Member of the Inner Magic Circle with Gold Star

Surrey Close Up Magic Champion 2001, 2008, 2012

Surrey Stage & Cabaret Magic Champion 2012

www.magicfun.co.uk

james@magicfun.co.uk
Liam Jones
View Profile
Veteran user
wirral
384 Posts

Profile of Liam Jones
The Ammar series
ESPecially Liam
kerpa
View Profile
Special user
Michael Miller
594 Posts

Profile of kerpa
As a newbie, I can tell you what I think some of the best, and very basic books and dvds are -

Mark Wilson's Encyclopedia of Magic (I think that is the name). This is the big black book. If it is not still in print, it is not hard to get a used copy. This is a great, great book - the explanations of the basic sleights are very well done, and some good basic beginning tricks are well presented. Truly encyclopedic.

A smaller, but beautifully presented book, often on the remainder tables,is Nicholas Einhorn's Encyclopedia of Magic. Also a fine job done.

For DVD's
- I love Daryl. I just enjoy his personality. His encyclopedia of card sleights is a bit too MUCH material for a beginner, but well done (I have the first 2 volumes). I actually think his revelation series is better for beginners, even though the apparent focus is on the revelation.

- I am just beginning to enjoy Oz's basic introductory card magic DVD. His explanations are really great, with the type of attention to detail that a newbie like me can appreciate. (sorry, the name escapes me right now).

kerpa
a/k/a Mike Miller
Chicago area
Michael Miller
(Michael Merlin: original family --and stage-- name)
MrBiddle
View Profile
Loyal user
241 Posts

Profile of MrBiddle
Gotta be Bobo.

Just picked up a copy. Hopefully I can pick up coin videos in the future.

Any of you guys recommend reading certain pages from Bobo??? I do have stock knowledge on the basic palms or maybe some vanishes already, but what routines from Bobo's do you guys recommend browsing through?

:wavey:
I would, however contest that there is in REALITY very little pportunity to perform what could actually be termed "close-up" magic.
- Guy Hollingworth
MKmagic
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of MKmagic
In my opinion the best way to begin learning coin
magic is from the DVD "The Complete Introduction To Coin Magic" by Michael Ammar.
Rob Elliott
View Profile
Elite user
Reston VA
487 Posts

Profile of Rob Elliott
MrBiddle -
Everything in Bobo's is worth reading. Even if you know the basic palms and vanishes, this book is the Bible of coin magic and is the main source of reference material on the subject. You should know it forward and backward if you want to pursue coin work.
johnloon
View Profile
New user
UK
54 Posts

Profile of johnloon
David Stone's coin videos.
Liam Jones
View Profile
Veteran user
wirral
384 Posts

Profile of Liam Jones
I would say Modern Coin Magic should be the first coin magic book to start with all because it has all the basics and slowly works its way up to more advanced
ESPecially Liam
jbohn
View Profile
Regular user
Minneapoils, MN
101 Posts

Profile of jbohn
As a relative newbie, Bobo has been an immense help, as has Mark Wilson (and of course Hugard and Braue's Royal Road to Card Magic for the pasteboards). For the absolute beginner, a good stop would be the local public library- I found all three of these there, and it was a great help in deciding which ones would be the most useful to me.

Jeremiah Smile
Danno12
View Profile
New user
Anchorage, Alaska
1 Post

Profile of Danno12
For some good books go to:
http://www.abebooks.com/
...and enter: coin magic (etc) !!wow!!
"So many knots, so little time!"
http://www.knotical-arts.com/info.html
phread
View Profile
Elite user
md
485 Posts

Profile of phread
Here is my 2 centavos:

The first magic book I ever owned was sold to me by Phil Thomas when I was a teenager in the late 70's: Tarbell Volume 1. Every beginner needs some idea of what "magic" is as well as how to do things.

phread
Deckless Wonder
cloneman
View Profile
Elite user
474 Posts

Profile of cloneman
Rubenstein, Roth, Dean Dill videos.
"Anything is possible... if you don't know what you are talking about."
microastro
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of microastro
Royal Road to Card Magic is my fav...
microastro
JoeHohman
View Profile
Veteran user
Erie
317 Posts

Profile of JoeHohman
Mr. Biddle,

A good "first Bobo routine" is Gadabout Coins. Another is Coins Though the Table, he has several of them, so read them all and then choose your favorite.
Magicmaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1235 Posts

Profile of Magicmaven
I think Ammars "The complete introduction to coin magic," is the best video or dvd for a beginner to coin magic, and I suggest if you are starting coin magic, get some sponge balls, they're only $5, and they are great to use to learn all the palms and transfers you are going to use in coin magic. I hope I helped, bye
Neznarf
View Profile
Inner circle
NY then AZ now
1379 Posts

Profile of Neznarf
Now You See It, Now You Don't #1 & #2 by Bill Tarr.
101 Magic Tricks by Bill Tarr.

I still read my copies once in a while. And I've been at this magic stuff for a while.
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
BullzEyE
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of BullzEyE
Thanks for all the suggestions. Now I must check out all these books...see which is best.
Tielie
View Profile
Special user
752 Posts

Profile of Tielie
If I buy Bobo's book and start practising my ass of... will I ever really need another book on coinmagic to do some amazing tricks? Or is there enough for a lifetime in Bobo?
Deal cards, not drugs!
phedonbilek
View Profile
Elite user
Greece, Cameroon, France
489 Posts

Profile of phedonbilek
The only advice I'll give you is the following: DON'T START WITH BOBO. Please do not misunderstand, this is a great book. But a beginner starting with a book is something I do not understand, personally. Coin magic is visual, and you need to see how the sleights are performed properly. Learning from a book you'll have great chances to develop bad habits. Watching Ammar/Roth/Stone performing a certain move, you also understand its aim/use/potential. It's after mastering it that you'll -maybe- develop your own variation to better fit your own style.
With a book that's purely impossible.

So I would advise: start with

1. The Complete Introduction to Coin Magic - Michael Ammar
2. Expert Coin Magic Made Easy 1-3 - David Roth

Then, after having mastered the basics (and much more actually), buy Bobo and explore the true potential of this coin magic bible.

That's my own view on the subject though, and I'm sure many disagree. But I'm truly convinced it's the best way to start.

Have fun and welcome in the world of coin magic!
...The only easy day is yesterday...
Tielie
View Profile
Special user
752 Posts

Profile of Tielie
Well I find learning from a book much more fun actually. I'm also somewhat against DVD's because of exposure and stuff.
I also think that many of the greatest coinworkers did not have DVD in their time. So it must be possible to learn from books.
Deal cards, not drugs!
phedonbilek
View Profile
Elite user
Greece, Cameroon, France
489 Posts

Profile of phedonbilek
Possible, it is. But back then coinworkers didn't have the choice, did they?

My point is: learning from a book is possible; but you're very likely to develop bad habits. For instance: learn the retention pass from a book, and watch Roth or Ammar doing and teaching it. Try to learn the Gallo pitch, the flying shuttle pass, from books etc.

I guarantee you'll have serious problems.

Now, when you know the basics, books are great, since they're not teaching you moves, but routines. They won't teach you how to vanish a coin, they will simply state: "vanish a coin...".

I hope you get my point. But it's only my point, and if you can learn easily with books, then... congratulations!
...The only easy day is yesterday...
Wal Parker
View Profile
New user
Wal Parker
1 Post

Profile of Wal Parker
Just a contribution. The Magic of Micah Lasher by Micah Lasher is introductory and has a section on coin and currency magic with good descriptions of palming, shuttle pass, and retention vanish.
Cpontz
View Profile
Special user
Daupin PA
545 Posts

Profile of Cpontz
I learned from Bobo when I first started. Of course that was before videos and DVD's. It is difficult, but not impossible if you keep practicing. I would recommend however, that you take advantage of the technology and watch some video's of the moves you want to learn.
Matt Graves
View Profile
Special user
Huntsville, Alabama (USA)
504 Posts

Profile of Matt Graves
I've worn out my copy of the Bobo book, had it almost seven years now. What would you consider as the "next step"? I've seen David Roth and Richard Kaufman listed. Would those pretty much be a "repeat" of what I've already learned from Bobo's, or would there be many new things to learn from them?
leko
View Profile
Regular user
Netherlands
192 Posts

Profile of leko
As has been said 'Expert Coin Magic' is the best follow-up of Bobo. MANY new ideas, sleights and routines. You cannot do without.
Enjoy it as I did!
vlance
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of vlance
Michael Amar has very good video teaching series. I learned all from his stuff
salamangkero8888
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of salamangkero8888
Hello everyone,

This is my first post. I have read thru this thread and would like to add what I think would be very helpful for beginners. Frankly, I'm quite surprised that no one has even mentioned The Amateur Magician's Handbook by Henry Hay (or did I just miss that post?). This was one of the first books I have read. This book is great for beginners since it does assume that whoever is reading it has absolutely no idea about the basics of coin magic, card magic, etc. It also, if I remember right, teaches fundamental theories about magic which the beginner should be familiar with. When it comes to learning coin magic, I would rank this as a notch higher than Bobo's book. I think learning the basics from this book then using the Bobo book as reference to more complicated sleights and routines would be a great way to start out. Am I the only who agrees with this? I would like to hear everyone's opinion about this book.

Salamangkero8888
sharingan
View Profile
New user
Finland
48 Posts

Profile of sharingan
Quote:
"NEW Modern Coin Magic".....(Hardback) by J.B.Bobo
"Coin Magic".......................(Hardback) by Richard Kaufman
"Expert Coin Magic".............(Hardback) by David Roth
"Magic by Gosh"..................(Hardback) by Pat Page & Albert Goshman
"Self working Coin Magic".....(Softback) by Karl Fulves

Best first coin book is?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Magic books and videos for beginners (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.267535 seconds, requiring 96 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[1] [0] [4] [9] [1] [3] [5] [6] [3] [4]