The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Magic books and videos for beginners (24 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3..10~11~12 [Next]
CoinFreak
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of CoinFreak
I HIGHLY HIGH suggest, Jeff McBride's World class Manipulation Series. Volume 1 has MANY MANY MANY coin sleights that are mandatory for beginners, while volumes 2 and 3 have more advanced techniques such as rollouts, passes, jumbo coins, and other flourishes, etc.

If you want to see some of the things I can do, thanks to that those videos go to http://www.geocities.com/coinfreakfos
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
If I was starting all over again, knowing what I know now.....
1. Ammar's World of Magic VHS
2. Hampton's Amazing Tricks with Money VHS
3. Ammar's Introduction to Coin Magic VHS
4. Bobo's for a full read.
5. the Ammar and Stone vids in order

I suggest this order so the beginner can pick up some very easy material and have some effects to work with right from the start. The more difficult effects should be
held off for a while so that enough practice time can be done to show them properly without exposing the methods of working professionals.

Just an opinion.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
Sneakers
View Profile
Regular user
Melbourne, Australia
106 Posts

Profile of Sneakers
Consider the 5th volume of the Greater Magic Video Library Teach-In Series from Stevens Magic Emporium. The tape is called "Coin Classics Volume 1" and features the likes of Bobo himself showing multiple ways to vanish a coin. The tape features 13 performers and 14 different effects shown in performance and subsequently clearly explained.

Mike Ammar (back when he *had* hair!), Eugene Burger, Daryl, Jay Marshall, David Regal, Jay Sankey, and a whole host of others.

A real find for the beginner and intermediate coin worker alike!
DonB
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of DonB
If you're looking for non-card material, I would also include Lewis Ganson's 2 book set of close-up material.

DonB.
what
View Profile
Special user
Lehi, UT, USA
643 Posts

Profile of what
As a newcomer to coin magic, I think the list of starting materials should be short. I am using:
Bobo's book "Modern Coin Magic,
Ammar's Video "Complete Introduction to Coin Magic"
and I must say how helpful the http://www.coinvanish.com site has been so far.
Magic is fun!!!
DA
View Profile
New user
New jersey
48 Posts

Profile of DA
I would like to recommend for the beginners of magic who would like to know the history of magic, effects, and magicians to seek out a copy of T.A. Waters "Encyclopedia of Magic and Magicians."

DA

Smile
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2002-11-24 19:14, wayman wrote:
This is a simple list of books...to get themselves started with.
Nothing like starting at the beginning.

Discoverie of Witchcraft by R Scott (1560)
The Art of Magic by T. Nelson Downs (1909)

Sorry, that was a bit before video. On the other hand these guys did want to communicate so they wrote clearly and plainly. Both are in Dover paperback.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
deuces
View Profile
New user
Toronto, Ontario
63 Posts

Profile of deuces
I'm at exactly the same position as you! Smile

And I feel it's been working great so far. Ammar's DVD was a good hook that gets you interested and Bobo's helps with the fine details as well as the foundations at coinvanish.com
Quote:
On 2002-12-13 15:38, what wrote:As a newcomer to coin magic, I think the list of starting materials should be short. I am using:Bobo's book "Modern Coin Magic,
Ammar's Video "Complete Introduction to Coin Magic"
and I must say how helpful the http://www.coinvanish.com site has been so far.
"Hockey eh?"
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Since this is a sticky topic that stays at the top of this forum I wanted to post some advice here for new coin magicians.

Along with people posting about new videos and books I often see people make threads asking about topics such as Matrix routines, or the Raven, or _Insert your favorite coin topic here_.

One thing that I recommend for anyone looking for a particular topic. The Search link at the top of this forum allows you to put in a word or words if you are looking for a specific topic. This can also be done in the archived section as well.

In many cases threads that have come before will be able to answer your questions. If not you can add to the preexisting thread or start a new one to add upon what has come before.

I find the search tool one of the most helpful features of this website. I use it all the time when I am looking for a specific topic.

Dan
Click to visit:
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
For a beginner. I would suggest nothing other than JB Bobos Modern Coin Magic.
That book has a wealth of material and takes a great deal of time to LEARN the sleights and routines.
Getting too many books only clutters the learning path for the beginner. Focus on the best book for beginners. I believe that is the book.
Smile
Daniel Faith
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
The quick answer is yes, you can learn coin magic just with Bobo's.

The long answer is, though you can learn it with Bobo's, its not the easiest way to do it - coin magic is very visual and it helps to see what is going on. You do not want to learn the basics wrong, one of these videos will show you the basics properly.

In the long run, I am sure you can do coin magic with only Bobo's but by purposely limiting the resources you view or read on a subject will ulitimately limit your knowledge. The more resources you can use, the greater knowledge you gain on the subject.

Regardless of what you plan on purchasing, definately do get Bobo's. Make sure you get the Hard Bound New Modern Coin Magic, not just the cheap Dover reprint. After you start with Bobo's you can decide if you need or want something more.

Dan
Click to visit:
Tony
View Profile
Veteran user
Los Angeles
303 Posts

Profile of Tony
That's right. When I first started my first purchase in coin magic was Scotch & Soda, then Bobo's The New Modern Coin Magic book. After reading it for a week, I bought Michael Ammar's Introduction to Coin Magic and then "I got it!" was my reaction. Since coin magic is a very visual trick I didn't know how to present it properly--both book and video forms go very well together. Books usually have a lot more material than videos and in my opinion can give more material once you can actually visualize the trick, routine, patter and presentation in a flowing manner (naturally, presentation and patter would be best if you presented it in your own style, but that comes later once you become comfortable in the routine).
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Beginners should watch a video before reading a book. The tape makes the rountine easier to understand. After the video, change over to books. It will prove the trick can be done, and how.

When I was younger I started the hard way because there were no tapes, only books.
Darren Roberts
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of Darren Roberts
I just this morning bought Bobo's book. As a stone cold beginner in coin magic I can tell you that the very first concealment was pretty tricky. Not that I'm opposed to practice. I bought that book specifically for long term learning. But for beginners looking for "immediate" results, Mark Wilsons Cyclopedia has a very good coin magic section.
ELS
View Profile
Regular user
Chicagoland area, IL
191 Posts

Profile of ELS
I personally like the Wilson book. It gives you step by step drawings to walk you through it. I find it great for learning the basics on both coins and cards. I picked up my hardcover book on e-bay, and it was like brand new for around $10.

Ed Smile
Were the border between the natural and the supernatural will be nothing any more but fuzzy. http://edwardshanahan.com
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
Bobo's text
Roth's video
Ammar's video
Johnny Thomson's Commercial Classics to see a true pro perform coin magic classics
Darren Roberts
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of Darren Roberts
For what it's worth...I have supplemented Bobo's book with Ammar's Complete Introduction to Coin Magic DVD and the coinvanish.com site. I am finding that, for me, it is very helpful to visually see the techniques described in books. I'm getting ideas of what the techniques LOOK like. Of course, I'm basically repeating some things that have been said above Smile

Hope this may help other beginners.
Ozer4
View Profile
Veteran user
NYC
329 Posts

Profile of Ozer4
Roth's videos are top notch. Bobo's is the classic work on coin magic, every magician has to have a copy, and for 8 or 9 bucks you can't go wrong. Smile
frank
View Profile
Regular user
Baltimore, MD
109 Posts

Profile of frank
Flip through a copy of "World's Best
Coin Tricks" by Bob Longe the next time
you're in a book store. I think he's
distilled basic coin magic down pretty
nicely.

Frank
FREE 5 Day Get Your First Restaurant Show Email Mini Course - to sign up...
Send a Blank Email Here:[email]freemagicinfo@getresponse.com[/email]
Robert Black
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of Robert Black
When I started out in Magic the best thing that could have happened was the Bobo book, Expert Coin Magic (Roth), Coin Magic (Kaufman), All the Roth Tapes. I have to say that for me Rubenstien and Ammar didn't quite cut it. For ME that is. I am a big fan of simple is better and between Bobo and Roth material you can find a lot of low tech utillity sleights that can be very effective. All the exotic palms and placements will come later with practice if you want to use them. I don't, simple is better for me.
"Creativity is the sudden cessation of stupidity." -- Dr. Edwin. Land
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Magic books and videos for beginners (24 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3..10~11~12 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL