The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Magic books and videos for beginners (24 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9~10~11~12 [Next]
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Another wonderful book to get started with is Now You See It, Now You Don't by Bill Tarr & Illustrated by Barry Ross. 🎩

This is a marvelous magic book, simply written and that has remarkable drawings of all the moves. And while it is more of a general closeup magic book, covering cards, cups & balls, ropes, etc., it also has a nice coin magic section, and a great bibliography pointing the way to other good magic books, like J.B. Bobo's New Modern Coin Magic. 😏

For some reason, the book is not often spoken of and even forgotten largely, but it shouldn't be, as it is quite complete as to beginner closeup magic. I still do some things from the book and continue to refer to it time and again. Excitingly, it also is a larger size book and comes across like a workbook of magic. It truly walks you through the beginning and even into some intermediate routines and effects. It's remarkably well laid out and written, and introduces you to all sorts of fine magic, including coins. Smile There's even a 2nd big book as to it, but start at the beginning with this one first and you'll be so happy you did. Smile

Myself and so many others have learned a lot from Tarr's magical offerings, and I'm sure you will too. What a fun, gem of a book! Go find it and unlock its treasures. Smile

*Highly Recommended! ★★★★★
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
iccemann101
View Profile
New user
Dark Side of the Moon
50 Posts

Profile of iccemann101
I would need to agree that the Now You See it, Now You Don't By Bill Tarr is a great book.
That is the first Magic Book I got when I first started in magic.
Will Leiva
View Profile
New user
Ottawa, Kansas
30 Posts

Profile of Will Leiva
Last time I posted it was in July of 2015.

I would like to say that now, 2 years later, I consider myself an intermediate coin magician. I have read Bobo's and would have to agree that is the place to start for coin magic. I've gone through Coin Magic by Kaufman and Expert Coin by Roth. I would say that you need to be comfortable with Bobo's first before moving into those books. As far as Dvds I think Encyclopedia of coin magic is good for beginners that are reading Bobo's. It is good as a reference and as a "here is what to expect".
Dr Rick
View Profile
New user
Manchester, UK
72 Posts

Profile of Dr Rick
Has anyone come across Jay Sankeys crash course in coin magic DVD

I believe he divides opinion but I like his teaching style

Any thoughts?
Passmore610
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Passmore610
Hi there, I'm brand new here and am trying to work my way through Bobo's book - I'm finding it quite difficult to understand the tricks from the confusing (to me) drawings & language

I realise that it's basically the bible of coin magic so don't want to skip it - is there some sort of video companion to the book available (in the UK)?
Passmore610
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Passmore610
Quote:
On Aug 14, 2018, Passmore610 wrote:
Hi there, I'm brand new here and am trying to work my way through Bobo's book - I'm finding it quite difficult to understand the tricks from the confusing (to me) drawings & language

I realise that it's basically the bible of coin magic so don't want to skip it - is there some sort of video companion to the book available (in the UK)?

Sorry - did more googling and found the video companion, but read reviews that said the performance wasn't so good on the Salinas DVDs

Thinking about going for Eric Jones' Metal and Jay Noblezada's in the beginning there were coins instead.
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4674 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
What do you want to learn...moves, or routines?
S.E.M. (The Sun, the Moon, and the Earth) is a sun and moon routine unlike any other. Limited to 100 sets, here is the promo:
https://youtu.be/aFuAWCNEuOI?si=ZdDUNV8lUPWvtOcL
$325 ppd USA (Shipping extra outside of USA). If interested, shoot me an email for ordering information at rubinsteindvm@aol.com
magic.42
View Profile
New user
USA
72 Posts

Profile of magic.42
My opinion is-If were talking about guiding a beginner in the right direction using a book as the vehicle The Amateur Magicians Handbook would be the only book I would recommend, to start. This book contains coin vanishes, coin switches, coin routines, and so much more. To do magic, beginners need an over all understanding of what is needed to perform, communicate, and entertain their audience. The Amateur Magicians Handbook has all these teaching and more. For the average beginner (the young), money is tight and a copy of this book can be purchased for a few dollars or borrowed from the average library for free. This is the book I started with and most times when I see a copy in a used book store , I buy it. I like to keep spare copies around because I enjoy giving them to people that come up to me and are sincere about learning to perform magic to entertain others. I love starting people in magic for the right reason - in the right way. I totally argree that just about all the books the other members have recommended will teach moves and routines, but what can a beginner hope do with this information without having at least some understanding as to how everything goes together to work properly. While this is a strong opinion, it is my opinion.......P. S. - if you see a copy with Enjoy - Mr. O written on the inside cover, it was one of my copies.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Quote:
On Feb 10, 2018, Mb217 wrote:
Another wonderful book to get started with is Now You See It, Now You Don't by Bill Tarr & Illustrated by Barry Ross. 🎩

This is a marvelous magic book, simply written and that has remarkable drawings of all the moves. And while it is more of a general closeup magic book, covering cards, cups & balls, ropes, etc., it also has a nice coin magic section, and a great bibliography pointing the way to other good magic books, like J.B. Bobo's New Modern Coin Magic. 😏

For some reason, the book is not often spoken of and even forgotten largely, but it shouldn't be, as it is quite complete as to beginner closeup magic. I still do some things from the book and continue to refer to it time and again. Excitingly, it also is a larger size book and comes across like a workbook of magic. It truly walks you through the beginning and even into some intermediate routines and effects. It's remarkably well laid out and written, and introduces you to all sorts of fine magic, including coins. Smile There's even a 2nd big book as to it, but start at the beginning with this one first and you'll be so happy you did. Smile

Myself and so many others have learned a lot from Tarr's magical offerings, and I'm sure you will too. What a fun, gem of a book! Go find it and unlock its treasures. Smile

*Highly Recommended! ★★★★★

Just wanted to say a bit further here now, that The Second Now You See It, Now You Don't big book is everywhere as good as the first one, with much more stuff to keep pushing you forward, and it still includes has a real nice coin section for all you coin guys. Smile Just as well laid-out with all the wonderful step-by-step sketches and limited wording as to written instructions. *PLUS, these books can be found for dirt cheap now. Smile

Whenever now I gift a book to a deserving student, it is one of these books because they are just so well done, inclusive of all types of magic, and with varying levels of wonderful effects to learn, practice, and present. I dare you to pick up one of these and tell me that they are not more than well-worth it to keep for yourself or to share with someone starting their magical journey. Smile

Treat yourself or perhaps someone else starting out in magic with these wonderful books. Smile

*And again here...*Highly Recommended! ★★★★★ Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
MB: I think too many people have been listening to you; the 2'nd NYSINYD is being offered on Amazon for over $40!

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
ray1
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of ray1
The original book is now in the public domain, and is a free download on archive.org.
The title seems to be wrong, but this is the right link.
https://archive.org/details/SleightOfHandBySachs

Read Bill Tarr's bio, he was a famous sculptor as well. No wonder his books were so well done.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Ray:
Thanks for telling us about the site. I was hoping to be able to download some stuff(all though I do have the book in discussion), but it appears that is only for books published prior to 1923!

Maybe there is some ooooold stuff that would still be of interest.

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
Did anyone mention The Essential Sol Stone yet? Granted, it's a book. Sure, the Rubinstein book, and David Neighbors has very good and do-able coin magic.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Quote:
On Feb 8, 2021, gregg webb wrote:
Did anyone mention The Essential Sol Stone yet? Granted, it's a book. Sure, the Rubinstein book, and David Neighbors has very good and do-able coin magic.

Great books, but not for the "beginners."

Steady wins the race, begin at the beginning and your journey will show you a better way forward, and toward the end of it all. Smile

steadyeddy2000
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of steadyeddy2000
I would also suggest Brad Burt's "Basics of Expert Coin Technique" video.
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
Bobo to me seems old-school by now. I remember things changed with Kaufman's Coinmagic for quite a few reasons. Main things to remember for beginners...don't believe the thumb palm fools anybody; the odd position of the thumb gives it away. Most guys do a bad classic palm...but you should work on it for someday, but really learn a believable finger palm. And beginner guys, look at your hand as it hangs by your side and notice that it isn't flat. Beginners often think that if the hand looks flat that it means it is empty. In fact it just looks suspicious. And always look to have something to pick up with the palming hand, to give it something to do, something to hold, either to wave over the other hand or point with...anything, just so's you get that. And any effort learning to read any kind of technical directions from the printed word is time well spent with the dead greats.
mir11
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of mir11
Hi does anyone know where to get this book, Now You See It, Now You Don't by Bill Tarr?
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
I would think it is out of print; so Amazon would be a good place to look
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Also you can find it on eBay, in used but usually good condition for a great price. 😊👍🏽

milamber
View Profile
Regular user
California
130 Posts

Profile of milamber
I'm a hobby magician that come and go to this site. I've followed this thread for a while now (years)... Not particularly skilled with coins, but it's the only type of magic that I've stuck with somewhat consistently over the years.
While I own most of the recommended resources like Bobo's, David Roth's DVDs, Michael Ammar's dvd etc. I've found some additional resources that has yet to be mentioned that may be of interest to someone interested in coin work. I know they helped clarify and improve aspects for me.

Couple of my favorite resources are: 1. Coins 101 with Kainoa Harbottle, where he teaches you basic coin sleights along with some fun routines; and 2. Bobo's Modern Coin Magic: Interpreted by Curtis Kam, where he goes chapter by chapter and gives you his insight on the sleights and tricks in the book. These reside within the ReelMagicMagazine.com site. In addition the the two courses mentioned you get more sleight of hand instruction by Garret Thomas using rings (not coins but similar sleights), which is a lot of fun as well; and many other lectures that I have yet to delve into. And of course you also get the issues of their digital magazine which contains a lot of fun info as well. The subscription is $5 per month. Really worthwhile in my opinion...

An additional resource I got recently is, Ben Earl's Deep Coin Work series (got it during the pandemic), which has about 5.5 hours of instruction including basic sleights and his take on some classic effects (copper silver brass, 3-fly) along with some interesting "magic with coins"... I like his thoughts on the subject a lot (and it's not knucklebusting at all and a lot of his work centers more on performance than sleights). Thought I'd include this as it has a couple of effects I use quite a bit now.

Just my 2 cents.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Magic books and videos for beginners (24 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9~10~11~12 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL