The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Bridge Size Cards? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
dafin77
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of dafin77
Do any of you use bridge cards? They're a quarter inch narrower, so passes, palms, and color changes are easier, esp'ly with small hands. I don't use them, but I don't quite know why. It seems wrong somehow--as if it would be cheating to do a pass with bridge cards. (But then, of course, this seems patently stupid.) I'm curious about what others think about this. And if you do use bridge cards, which ones?
David Finkelstein
dafin77@hotmail.com
Alan Morgan
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of Alan Morgan
Up until January last year, I used bridge cards (since poker-sized cards are practically impossible to find here).

It wouldn't be cheating to use bridge-sized cards for effects with the pass if it makes it easier. It's just making it easier. If there's a really complex move that can achieve an effect, using an easier move to achieve the same effect isn't cheating. It's simply making it easier.

Roberto Giobbi wrote in Card College volume 1 that poker sized cards look more appealing (and I agree).
Nosher
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of Nosher
I find some techniques, like the Le Paul spread, are a lot easier with the extra width of the poker size.

If you can only pull something off by using a bridge sized deck, why wouldn't you use it? I don't there are any "I only enjoy poker sized magic" spectators who will object.
Escapemaster-in-chief from all sorts of houdingplaces - Finnegans Wake
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
Because moving back and forth from bridge to poker size cards confuses the muscle memory in your hands, it becomes a choice you make, poker size or bridge size?

I have smaller hands, but I've stuck with poker size cards and forced myself to stretch my hand muscles until I can use them comfortably.

There are VERY few move that can't be done due to hand size.

There's a widely held belief out there that no self respecting card man would use Bridge size cards. I'm not saying that myself, but knowing ithat opinion is out there probably influenced my decision to sweat it out with poker size cards.
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
I'm with silverking. Even though I'm a woman with smaller hands, I still go with the poker size cards as switching back and forth can cause confusion for the hand memory meuscles. Besides all the packet tricks and gaffed cards all come in poker size. The more I practice with poker cards, the easier it is to palm and perform passes that suit me. However, I not saying don't use bridge size cards if using them make sense to you.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Zazz
View Profile
Veteran user
California
315 Posts

Profile of Zazz
I have a few decks of Bicycle bridge size cards to practice with if I am trying to learn a certain move or card flourish and having a hard time with poker size cards. At this point I might switch to bridge until I've got the moves down, then I switch back to poker size.
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
Magic, card flourishes and slights in particular, is hardly about doing it the easy way. There is no shame in using a bridge deck, however if you are trying to entertain people by doing something difficult, then the more difficult it is, the more entertained they will be. Poker size is more common, and therefore easier for the public to accept as normal. I would always recomend poker size, but if one chooses bridge, they certainly have nothing to be ashamed of.
Charlie Justice
View Profile
Inner circle
Mount Dora, Florida
1142 Posts

Profile of Charlie Justice
I use bridge sized cards for 1 effect only:
Kollosal Killer (the smaller cards tuck in nicely in the wallet)
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Tommy Wonder uses Bridge Size and he has huge hands.

I use poker size...just because...
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of Tom G
Thought I read somewhere that Charlie Miller used Bridge size cards....
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
In all photos I have of Charlie Miller, he's always using poker size cards. Also, in the books I have on Millers work, there's no mention of bridge cards.

It would also seem that, due to the amount of shared work between Miller and Riser, Miller and Vernon, etc.....they would probably all use the same size cards.

Not to say Miller never picked up a deck of bridge cards but my pix of him show him only with poker size.
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
There is nothing wrong with bridge sized cards for magic. Cards are cards pretty much and if a deck will give you what you need who cares. BUT...when I got started I read in Henry Hays book that using poker cards was better in the same way that a baseball player used to warm up using more than one bat. Going large to small is not a problem, but going bridge to poker is problematic...and, in fact it can be. I noticed this right away. Poker cards were very awkward for me. Once I got used to them I never wanted to change, but in those instances that folks have passed me a bridge deck it just was not a problem. Best,
Brad Burt
rannie
View Profile
Inner circle
4375 Posts

Profile of rannie
Jerry Andrus and The great Paul Potassy uses Bridge size cards. They both have big hands as well.
"If you can't teach an old dog new tricks, trick the old dog to learn."

-Rannie Raymundo-
aka The Boss
aka The Manila Enforcer

www.rannieraymundo.com
www.tapm.proboards80.net
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Lennart Green has also been known to use Bridge cards. It's really up to you, and what you're comfortable with.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2006-03-05 15:21, BradBurt wrote:
There is nothing wrong with bridge sized cards for magic. Cards are cards pretty much and if a deck will give you what you need who cares. BUT...when I got started I read in Henry Hays book that using poker cards was better in the same way that a baseball player used to warm up using more than one bat. Going large to small is not a problem, but going bridge to poker is problematic...and, in fact it can be. I noticed this right away. Poker cards were very awkward for me. Once I got used to them I never wanted to change, but in those instances that folks have passed me a bridge deck it just was not a problem. Best,

Brad, great thoughts on this. Thanks!!
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
Your spectators do not care what size cards you use. Just ask them! Cards are just cards to them. Most of the people that I talked to over the years didn't know that Bridge size cards were smaller.

I have used Bridge cards for years. My palms are cleaner and the cards are nice to work with due to their size.

Once you go Bridge you never go back...LOL

Ray
dafin77
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of dafin77
I guess I don't believe that moving back and forth would create a lot of muscle memory confusion. I don't believe it b/c I have found (to my surprise) that it's very easy for me to move back and forth between guitars with necks of quite different widths (and so quite different string-spacings). A priori, it seems like one would often be missing the strings if one suddenly switched neck widths, but somehow I just don't; it doesn't matter whether I'm moving wide to narrow or narrow to wide, my hands just immediately adapt. I'm pretty confident the same would occur if I worked with bridge cards some of the time. Only--I don't.
David Finkelstein
dafin77@hotmail.com
molsen
View Profile
Special user
Copenhagen
552 Posts

Profile of molsen
My hands are big, so I think it looks a bit clumsy when I use Bridge sized cards (my hand can wrap completely around a Bridge deck). I handle them fine, it's just the visual aspect. For that reason I use Poker sized cards.

It's been said several times that the spectators don't care, and that is true.

I play with a Bridge deck sometimes, it is not that different to handle, except I feel they tend to "ski-slope" a little more when holding more than one break.

Michael
irishguy
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
629 Posts

Profile of irishguy
I have used bridge cards off and on. Never once have I had a spectator notice anything different. Even with them shuffling and choosing cards. If they work for you...by all means, use them.
Cranial Fermentator
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of Cranial Fermentator
I have used bridge cards as well as poker size. My only objection to bridge cards is that those with standard backs such as Bicycle are harder to find than bridge cards with pictorial backs like flowers and kittens.

Paul
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Bridge Size Cards? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL