The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The March 2006 entrée: Tim Ellis & Sue-Anne Webster » » Vegemite - Australia's National Food » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Tim Ellis
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
1234 Posts

Profile of Tim Ellis
Just curious as to how much you guys know about Australia. Have any of you ever tasted our yummy breakfast spread Vegemite?
APC
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1213 Posts

Profile of APC
Ive been offered it by some australian friends...i had to decline...just couldn't make myself eat it!
Corona Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Airstrip One
1689 Posts

Profile of Corona Smith
Hi Tim,

I have tried vegemite but didn'y really care for it, this may be a cultural difficulty as I live in the land of marmite, which I like.

I think marmite was invented by accident after a toxic spillage at ici (but I could be wrong) any ideas who invented vegemite.

the band 'men at work' immortalised vegemite in the uk consciousness.

all the best, Corona
Tim Ellis
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
1234 Posts

Profile of Tim Ellis
BASKITBOY5 - You don't know what you're missing! Smile

CORONA - I've tried Marmite, but I think it's like VHS and BETA... PEPSI and COKE... PENN and TELLER... you either like one or the other.

Here's a little bit of Vegemite history for you: In 1922, Fred Walker (1884-1935) of Melbourne, Australia decided to try to make a special "yeast extract" that would be as delicious as it was nourishing for his Fred Walker Cheese Company to sell. The chief scientist in the company Fred owned was Dr. Cyril P. Callister, and it was Dr. Callister who invented the first Vegemite spread. He used brewer's yeast and blended the yeast extract with ingredients like celery, onion, salt, and a few secret ingredients to make this paste. In 1912, a national competition and a prize of 50 pounds was offered to the winner or winners to name the new product.. The name ‘Vegemite’ was finally chosen from the entries by Fred’s daughter Sheilah .
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
I love the stuff! They sell it in the local 'health' food store here abouts. I first got some when a friend in Australia sent me a jar. He claimed it was the secret to drinking more than one should..... Best,
Brad Burt
Tim Ellis
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
1234 Posts

Profile of Tim Ellis
Sue-Anne has just assured me that she's heard the same thing... apparently it lines the stomach quite effectively...
Tim Ellis
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
1234 Posts

Profile of Tim Ellis
And look, it's a good hangover cure for the morning after too:

Hangover Cures: Vegemite On Toast - Something in your stomach is good, and salty is even better. Plus you get a Vitamin B top up. The same reasons also make peanut butter a good choice, but the oily nature might make some sensitive stomachs feel a bit yucky. If you do try try this one, skip the butter and just have dry toast.
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Inner circle
WV, USA
1645 Posts

Profile of Michael J. Douglas
It's weird that it's a hangover cure considering (I've read) that it a beer by-product.
I haven't tried Vegemite, Marmite, or Promite. I don't know if we have it around here in WV. I have, however, try Vitameatavegimin and it's fantastic! Smile
Michael J.
�Believe then, if you please, that I can do strange things.� --from Shakespeare�s �As You Like It�
Sue-Anne Webster
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
97 Posts

Profile of Sue-Anne Webster
Try Vegemite. It'll put hairs on your chest!

Vitameatavegimin? I remember Lucy (from the "I Love Lucy" show) doing a GREAT sketch on that stuff! How funny was that?!
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi Sue-Anne,

They've been showing Lucy on the retro channel recently..and that particular sketch was recently shown. funny! funny! funny! Her facial expresions were priceless!

I often joke with Simon Lovell about his habit of eating Marmite..which I refer to as black goo and he refers to it as food of the gods. Vegitmite is way better! Not eating it again however, as you mentioned it puts hair on the chest. Shudders! Truthfully I've only tried it once...and that was enough. Give me escargots anyday!

Chrystal :O)
Tim Ellis
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
1234 Posts

Profile of Tim Ellis
More fascinating Vegemite facts:

Vegemite is found in 9 out of 10 Australian pantries!

22.7 million jars of Vegemite are manufactured in Australia every year - that's 235 jars per minute.

HOW TO EAT IT LIKE AN AUSSIE

Using your favorite bread, some butter or margarine, and of course, Vegemite.

Spread butter on a piece of toast or bread.
Cover very thinly with Vegemite (for the optimum Vegemite sandwich you only need a dab). Dip your knife in the Vegemite, and scrape up just a bit (it will mix right in with the butter and spread easily). Some people like to "marble" the Vegemite into the butter.
Eat it open-faced and enjoy!
Dean A
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of Dean A
Ancient lore dictates that you are either a 'vegimite' OR a 'Marmite' person. I laugh in the face of this absurdity and say pishaw and zounds to't

I love both. They both taste like a little bit of breakfast heaven.

NOTHING that good was the result of am ICI spillage belirvr me.....in either country, and I have enjoyed both in both.

Dean
Dean A
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of Dean A
Belirvr????
Dean A
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of Dean A
This stuff can also save your life on days when your wife is at work and you are home alone with the kids. Vegimite, cheese, some bread and a home made cubbyhouse can go along way.
Sue-Anne Webster
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
97 Posts

Profile of Sue-Anne Webster
Vege's my favourite. I hate promite or marmite...

Tim's right with how you eat it. If you use bread - the NICEST (and unhealthiest) way to eat it is with still warm, thick, fresh white bread with a nice crispy crust. Not bread with sugar in it - real bread.

If toasted - then a really nice grain bread - YUMMO - gotta go have some!
(freshly squeezed orange juice or black tea is perfect with it)
Dean A
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of Dean A
I chop and change a bit. It keeps the different delicious flavours interesting. But I say go crazy. Full sugar white fairy bread, with vegimite and cheese at a teddy bear's tea party in the cubbyhouse.
Tim Ellis
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
1234 Posts

Profile of Tim Ellis
I can just hear the voices raised in song from the cubbyhouse:

"We're happy little Vegemites as bright as bright can be,
We all enjoy our Vegemite for breakfast, lunch and tea,
Our mummy says we're growing stronger every single week,
Because we love our Vegemite,
We all adore our Vegemite,
It puts a rose in every cheek!"
revlovejoy
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania
765 Posts

Profile of revlovejoy
Well now I know more about vegemite.

Magis6, it makes perfect sense to me that a "beer byproduct" would be a hangover cure. We homebrewers know that homebrew almost NEVER yields a hangover. There's a natural carbonation process that continues in the bottle when you make your own beer. That means a bit of sediment in your beer, and lots of yeast cell "husks" which are very rich in vitamin B. You won't get that from a commercially made beer that has been carbonated with forced CO2 gas.

Relax. Don't worry. Have a homebrew.
Jonathan Kelly
View Profile
Regular user
Waterford, Ireland
156 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Kelly
According to my Aussie friend Jane "Vegemite is fair dinkum" and she promises to bring me home some next time she goes back there.
"But where did the lighter fluid come from?"
spadesy
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of spadesy
(Kraft) Vegemite is best on a toasted crumpet.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The March 2006 entrée: Tim Ellis & Sue-Anne Webster » » Vegemite - Australia's National Food » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL