The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The March 2006 entrée: Tim Ellis & Sue-Anne Webster » » Vegemite - Australia's National Food » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Tim Ellis
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
1234 Posts

Profile of Tim Ellis
Mmmmmmm... I'm hungry... time for breakfast!
Zamboni
View Profile
New user
Australia
59 Posts

Profile of Zamboni
Being a fellow Australian I have to point out that Vegimite is a by-product and ultimately poor substitute for it's originator, the Japanese product, miso. (Which by the way tastes fantastic on toast with tahini for breakfast).
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
I eat the Vegemite daily but hadn't tried it until an Australian friend recommended it. Up until then I was on Marmite. My Whole Foods store carried it at $7.00 for a 2oz. bottle. Yeah not much at all! But I cherished every bit of it and oh that wonderful heavenly smell from an open jar of marmite.

He brought me a sample of Vegemite and lo and behold! The heavens opened and angels sang about glory and discovery.

A great Australian icon that I enjoy everyday.
Tim Ellis
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
1234 Posts

Profile of Tim Ellis
Hallelujah!
Simon Lovell
View Profile
V.I.P.
506 Posts

Profile of Simon Lovell
Yikes, I'm in the minority but I'll stand proud behind my tub of Marmite ... as Chrystal said earlier ... I believe it to be the food of the gods (which should stop me eating it as I'm not a God, but you know what I mean!)

Tim and Sue, good to see you here doing a great job even if you are Vegimite heathens!

Simon
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
OK, I'm convinced. With my recent health problems I have become Vegan and as such am looking for anything to expand the flavors at my disposal.

I just ordered a jar of Venemite from eBay.
Tim Ellis
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
1234 Posts

Profile of Tim Ellis
Simon, great to see you in here too! If you have any tips as a former Guest of Honor yourself, we'd really appreciate it!

Rik, follow the instructions for eating it VERY CAREFULLY. Use lots of butter or marg and spread it THINLY!

I think we'd better take some Vegemite sample packs with us over to FISM this year.
Simon Lovell
View Profile
V.I.P.
506 Posts

Profile of Simon Lovell
Tim,

When I was guest guy here I realized early on that it's a LOT more work than I first suspected. I decided to set aside two hours each day to carefully go through that days replies/questions/comments and post my comments etc. If you leave it too long you get totally swamped by it!

But, you and Sue seem to be keeping on top of it really well!

Hope to run into you again some time soon!

Simon
Elly May Drudge
View Profile
Tim Ellis' snoopy neighbor
Melbourne, Australia
40 Posts

Profile of Elly May Drudge
Hello Simon, I like your glasses by the way, very stylish. You know what they say about a man who wears glasses! Hehe!

Anyway, it's no surprise that Tim and Sue-Anne are on top of it! They haven't left the house in days! I can see Tim slumped over the keyboard right now... actually, it doesn't look like he's typing... or even moving... hmmm.. think I'd better get over there and investigate. Maybe prod him with a stick or something.
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Perhaps it could be he ate too much vegitmite?

:O)

Chrystal
Elly May Drudge
View Profile
Melbourne, Australia
40 Posts

No, my dear girl. You must try it, to understand it wouldn't do such a thing to Tim...

I just came back from his house and I can tell you, he's only suffering from a type of RSI from beating the keyboard to death trying to go from topic to topic answering questions and causing a bit of trouble. You know those games in the parlour where you have to hit the mice as they pop up in different places? The more you hit, the more points you score? Well, I'm much better at it from years of house pest control... and keeping an eye on those two. They'll get use to it.

Oh, and Rik... try flavouring rice - and vegie soups with vegemite. Easy does it, though. Go ahead and be creative dear. Just be careful with blood pressure. The stuff is very salty!
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Inner circle
WV, USA
1645 Posts

Profile of Michael J. Douglas
Vegemite's some powerful stuff. Laboratory test show that Vegemite has 600% more vitamins than any other substance on earth by volume!

As a comparison of serving sizes -
Vegemite 5 grams
Butter 14 grams
Peanut Butter 32 grams
Easy Cheeze 31 grams

It's even sent up into space with Aussie astronauts!
Michael J.
�Believe then, if you please, that I can do strange things.� --from Shakespeare�s �As You Like It�
Elly May Drudge
View Profile
Melbourne, Australia
40 Posts

I was just browsing the internet (I have ADSL2+ 24mps) and I see there's a lot of misunderstanding out there about what you can and cannot use vegemite for:

You can use it on popcorn, you cannot use it as an insect repellent.

You can use it as a celery dip, you cannot use it to keep dentures in place.

You can serve it on crackers like caviar, you cannot dry it out and smoke it.

You can use it as camouflage if you're a soldier, you cannot use it as car window tinting.

You can use it to cover your bald spot if you have black hair, you can't use it as a hair removal cream.

You can use it as a facial mask, you cannot use it as toothpaste.

You can smear it on a black toilet seat as a practical joke, you cannot seal leaky pipes with it.

You can use it to stick little bits of toilet paper to cat's faces and watch them lick it off (though I've no idea why you would), you cannot use it as any kind of lubricant.
Michael Sullivan
View Profile
New user
Australia
86 Posts

Profile of Michael Sullivan
Vegemite ROCKS!

I spread it on my Bread or Toast very thick, because I love it like that because it burns the roof of your mouth YUMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

My Mother told me that when I was a baby and I would cry she used to put some Vegemite on my dummy (pacifier) and it would shut me up.

I love Vegemite & Cheese as a great combination and now Kraft have a Cheese slice that is impregnated with Vegemite.

OH and for you Americans Kraft who produce Vegemite is now American owned.

Michael
Matt Pulsar
View Profile
Inner circle
1130 Posts

Profile of Matt Pulsar
Okay, this is how it was explained to me. Could be some fiction here. Most likely actually. But here I go. You make beer or alchohol from grain. You drink the alchi and your body is left without nutrients. After the process of making the beer you have some stuff left over. Essentially Vegimite or Marmite are the left over vitamins and stiff. (B vitamins are good for a hangover anyhow.) The Vegimite completes the grain needed in your body, and brings balance to your system. Easy.

P.S. what is a Cubbyhouse?
Belief Manifests Reality.
Nebula CT: https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/8517
Tim Ellis
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
1234 Posts

Profile of Tim Ellis
LOL - A cubbyhouse is a "playhouse" generally made by parents for kids to play in in the backyard.

Mat LOVES building cubbyhouses! Smile

They can also be built by the kids themselves out of scrap materials in a vacant lot or, like mine was, under the house.
Simon Lovell
View Profile
V.I.P.
506 Posts

Profile of Simon Lovell
Tim,

Considering your love of the "Marmite wannabe" substance when are you going to release an effect or two using it? The Incredible self-working Appearing Vomit illusion (just eat some and wait) springs to mind as a starter .... yikes! Just kidding!

Simon
Matt Andrews
View Profile
Loyal user
Switzerland
219 Posts

Profile of Matt Andrews
OK Marmite and Vegemite lovers

If you once decide to come to Switzerland, you will find "Cenovis". The Cenovis paste is the long lost brother of Vegemite (quite similar to the taste) and also first or second cousin to Marmite (which is IMHO stronger and saltier).

Either you love it or you hate it. My wife can't stand any of these (yum, just for me then Smile)

And now back to Aussie Land Smile

Sincerely, Matt
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
1234 Posts

Profile of Tim Ellis
Simon, it does work well when performing CARD ON CEILING with the Black Tiger Deck...
Tim Ellis
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
1234 Posts

Profile of Tim Ellis
Matt, you are right. Here is a complete list of Vegemite 'wannabees'

Bovril (The UK)
Mightymite (Australia)
Marmite (The UK)
Promite (Australia)
Cenovis (Swiss)
Dick Smith Foods' Aussiemite (created because Vegemite is now owned by an American-based firm)
Vitam-R (especially popular in Germany, but available in health food stores in the UK)

Note, there is no USA equivalent. The market is ripe for a Vegemite invasion!!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The March 2006 entrée: Tim Ellis & Sue-Anne Webster » » Vegemite - Australia's National Food » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL