The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The March 2006 entrée: Tim Ellis & Sue-Anne Webster » » Will you come downunder? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Tim Ellis
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
1222 Posts

Profile of Tim Ellis
This seems like a great opportunity to ask lots of non-Aussies at the same time:

1 - Have you ever wanted to come and visit Australia?
2 - If so, what appeals to you, and what's stopping you?
revlovejoy
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania
765 Posts

Profile of revlovejoy
1. Well of course. You all seem like down to earth people, no pun intended. I like beer, so that seems to work out well. And of course we know Australia is the opera center of the universe, what with the opera house and all.

2. It's the snakes. That Steve Irwin crocodile hunter went around and touched all the top 10 deadliest snakes on the planet. 8 of the 10 were in Australia. That's the way I remember it anyway. I've dealt with copperheads and timber rattlers in the woods of Pennsylvania. Those won't kill you unless you skip the hospital for 48 hours. Aussie snakes don't mess around.

Yeah, and the airfare.
four elements
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of four elements
1)Absolutely
2)The cost of gas to drive there Smile
Sue-Anne Webster
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
97 Posts

Profile of Sue-Anne Webster
Yep, Australia is full of the world's most deadly snakes, spiders, jelly fish and the sharks and crocodiles are REALLY working up an appetite.

The sun is also deadly down here, too. We have the highest rate of skin cancer in the world. But hey! We're all still alive. Just slip, slop, slap (slip on shirt, slop on some sunscreen and slap on a hat) - stay in the cities or stick with a tour group - you just have to be careful walking in the bush in summer, watch the logs you walk over, don't scream when you see a snake (except a brown snake, then run for your life - they'll chase you), don't swim in the ocean in latitudes any higher than the Tropic of Capricorn in summer and avoid gardening without gloves.

Save a few dollars a week for the airfare. Stay hydrated on the plane (water - not beer!) and walk around the plane regularly (it'll avoid jet lag). Bring your sense of humour and "she'll be right, mate - bewdy bottla ripper"!!
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1991 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Over the years I've kept and propagated various Marine specimens and involved in efforts to propagate various live coral specimens. I've always known about and would certainly fear the Blue Ring Octopus which is about the size of a golf ball and making it's home in the crystal clear shallow waters of Australia.

Very few have ever recounted the experience of being stung by this beautiful animal as dead men just can't talk.

But the vibrant city and sparkling beaches are one of a kind. I will soon visit the Great Barrier Reef and World Heritage Park.

Just lovely.

Oh and revlovejoy mentioned your Crocodille Hunter guy Steve Irwin. Good god! he's worked our American nerves to no end wrestling with those animals. Not sure we can take one more minute of his daredevil antics. Hehehe.
Tim Ellis
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
1222 Posts

Profile of Tim Ellis
Crikey!!!
Sue-Anne Webster
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
97 Posts

I only heard about that little blue ringed octopus recently. I thought Melbourne beaches (though not as fabulously exciting as Sydney's beaches upwards), would be safe. But the sharks love it down south.

I'll stick to roaming the bush - in the winter - with big boots on - and an axe.

Have you ever heard about bunyips?
IT Magic
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
113 Posts

Profile of IT Magic
Blue Rings aren't that scary, as kids we used to collect them from the rocks, seems dangerous now, but we just made sure we didn't get stung. They also have very brittle beaks that often break before puncturing the skin.

Come to think about it, I was bloody mad as a kid, what was I thinking, those things'll kill ya.

Brendan
Magic, Illusion and Data Management
www.stardockmagi.blogspot.com

I picture a world of love and peace, a world without war where people live together in harmony.
I also picture us attacking that world 'cause they just wouldn't expect it
Tim Ellis
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
1222 Posts

Profile of Tim Ellis
The Linking Blue Rings... there's a good Aussie trick for you.
IT Magic
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
113 Posts

Profile of IT Magic
Nice idea Tim, do you plan on using multiple octopi or glueing the tentacles of one to create a set of 4 rings pre-linked?

Brendan

I picture a world of love and peace, a world without war where people live together in harmony.
Tim Ellis
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
1222 Posts

Profile of Tim Ellis
Brendan, we might have to move this discussion to the SECRET SESSIONS area...
IT Magic
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
113 Posts

Profile of IT Magic
Oh I don't have enough posts to get in there LOL I've posted more in the last 2 days than ever, too much time and not enough work.

Brendan

Tim Ellis
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
1222 Posts

Profile of Tim Ellis
Look, I think this thread is putting people off visiting Australia... lots of rumours and innuendo about our dangerous creature. These are the only ones we have that are REALLY dangerous okay:

SEA WASP (aka BOX JELLYFISH): Children who have been stung by the sea wasp have died within minutes of being stung.

THE PORTUGESE MAN-O-WAR: The Portuguese Man-Of War is another stinging jellyfish, and although it is much more widespread and common than the box jellyfish or sea wasp, it is not as deadly as the sea wasp.

BLUE RINGED OCTOPUS: There is no antivenom for the poison from a blue-ringed octopus. It is usually necessary to perform continuous CPR on a victim until the effects of the venom have subsided. This may take several hours, but it may mean the difference between life or death for the victim.

SALTWATER CROCODILE: The adult saltwater crocodile will eat anything that comes too close to it. That includes fish, birds, and mammals of any size, including humans, that venture near the water's edge.

SHARKS: Sharks eat other sharks, seals, fish, baby dolphins, birds and sometimes humans…mostly because they mistake them for seals.

RED BELLIED BLACK SNAKE: It hunts by day, feeding on frogs, small mammals and other reptiles. Its venom is dangerous to man.

TIGER SNAKE: The Tiger snake is one of the deadliest snakes in the world, and can be found in the Australian Southwest.

THE TAIPAN: The Taipan is the most venomous snake in Australia. Male and female are both very aggressive if cornered

RED BACKED SPIDER: Red-back bites occur frequently, but only the female bite is dangerous. They can cause serious illness and have caused deaths.

FUNNEL WEB SPIDER: The Tree-dwelling Funnel-web Spideris the most dangerous spider in Australia, and among the most dangerous spiders in the world.

THE PLATYPUS: Platypus spurrings of people are rare, but the select group who have survived the trauma report pain strong enough to induce vomiting which can persist for days, weeks or even months. The pain is resistant to morphine and other pain-killing drugs and anaesthesia of the main nerve from the spur site is often the only way to relieve the patient's suffering.

Apart from that, most of the other creatures down here are all that dangerous...
IT Magic
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
113 Posts

Profile of IT Magic
You forgot Bunyips and Drop Bears :0

Sue-Anne Webster
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
97 Posts

Yeah... come to think of it, it wasn't the Blue Ringed Octopus... it was a small, invisible to the eye under water, very small jelly fish of some sort with long tentacles that will sting through a wetsuit. It kills you.

There's nothing to prevent the sting (at least you can avoid the box jellyfish sting by wearing a full bod stocking).

OK - I think I'll move overseas!
Sue-Anne Webster
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
97 Posts

Tell us about Bunyips and Drop Bears, Brendan.
cfrye
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon, USA
941 Posts

Profile of cfrye
Australia looks like a blast. I'm not much of an adventurer, so the Outback doesn't beckon, but I do enjoy sports. I would love to see an Aussie Rules match, not to mention a proper game of rugby.
StuartPalm
View Profile
Special user
739 Posts

Profile of StuartPalm
Hmmm, When I read the first post I was thinking, Yeah I would love to go to Austrailia. Sounds great. Now I am not so sure.
Belief Manifests Reality.

Check out Matt Pulsar's products:

Pillars of Destiny can be found here: http://www.lulu.com/shop/matt-pulsar/pillars-of-destiny-foundations-in-the-chinese-zodiac-for-psychic-entertainers/hardcover/product-23295916.html

"Nebula" CT can be found here: http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/8517

The Gnostic Deck, ICON & Mao Tou Knows! Find out about my new products here:

http://www.stuartpalm.com/shop2
Sue-Anne Webster
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
97 Posts

Aaaah, come on... don't let us put you off...

Aussies are reknown for story telling...

...truly!

:)
Sue-Anne Webster
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
97 Posts

I'm not a footbal fan - but hey - Aussie Rules is a FABULOUS game!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The March 2006 entrée: Tim Ellis & Sue-Anne Webster » » Will you come downunder? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL