The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The March 2006 entrée: Tim Ellis & Sue-Anne Webster » » Will you come downunder? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
IT Magic
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
113 Posts

Profile of IT Magic
When asked questions like that I rely on google and Wiki Smile

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drop_Bear

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bunyip

Wiki has them listed as mythalogical creatures but that is their opinion only, they obviously haven't sat quietly in the bush at night near a billabong.

Brendan

A billabong is a small lagoon type body of water created when the bend in a river is cut off from the rest of the flow.
Magic, Illusion and Data Management
www.stardockmagi.blogspot.com

I picture a world of love and peace, a world without war where people live together in harmony.
I also picture us attacking that world 'cause they just wouldn't expect it
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi,

I have always had Australia on my wish list of places to see. Friendly people, beautiful country, sounds like a great place to visit!! I've had a fondness for the country and people since my 5th grade Aussie teacher taught me how to sing Kookaberra, Waltzing Matilda, and Wild Colonial boy. It must have planted in my head that these Aus people must possess a wonderful sense of humor. Seeing Rolf Harris sing "The Three Legged Man" must have also played a role too, as well as listening to Six White Boomers played on the radio at Christmastime. I'm still waiting to hear "With a Swag Upon My Shoulder", although I don't drink the stuff myself. Yes, that all convinced me..Aus is the place to go!

On a more serious note - from all those that I've known to have visited your country there is been nothing but rave reviews regarding the people and of the landscape. It is one place I plan to see someday.

Chrystal
Sue-Anne Webster
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
97 Posts

Profile of Sue-Anne Webster
Wow - you brought back so many memories of singing those songs.

Have you ever heard the naughty songs? HAHAAAAaaa ... ah dear... I shouldn't be so amused, should I?!
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
3780 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Gee guys, Australia sounds like a really fun time - as long as you know that visiting automatically makes you become part of the food chain. Smile

I mean really: Saltwater Crocodiles, Great White Sharks, Deadly Octopi and dangerous Jellyfish, I guess swimming is not a good idea. Smile

Wait, one could always take a stroll, right?...NOT! Aggressive and venemous snakes along with poisonous spiders await unsuspecting tourists, and what about the bloody Scorpions?! Smile

But why worry? Heck, you'll probably pass out from the scorching sun and never feel a thing anyway. Smile

Yep, got my plane ticket, suit of armour, first aid kit, spear-gun, M16 assault rifle, sunglasses and sunscreen. Okay, guess I'm ready to go visit Tim and Sue-Anne. Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
Tim Ellis
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
1234 Posts

Profile of Tim Ellis
Oh, and if you go swimming, watch out for the Bondi cigars. Harmless, but you don't want to touch one.
kid iowa
View Profile
Loyal user
Oklahoma
300 Posts

Profile of kid iowa
Spent 4 months there when I was stationed with the Marines. It was for Operation Tandem Thrust (insert your own joke here, I don't make up the names, folks) and we spent the majority of our time on liberty in Rockhampton and Brisbane just before we went back to Japan. Australia is a beautiful country, the wife and I are saving up for a trip back there.
Any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile...can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction, "I served in the United States Navy." J.F.K.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Like Kid Iowa I was also stationed In Japan with the Marines. Met a few Shelias from down under while I was there. And these girls were Mucho Keen!!

I would love to visit Australia. Very much. Just seems like a beautiful Country filled with a lot of nice folks. I'll bet the golf courses are beautiful as well. I've always wanted to go. Cost is probably the one thing holding me back. Maybe one day I'll stow away on a tramp steamer and make my way over there.

Vandy
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
Tim Ellis
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
1234 Posts

Profile of Tim Ellis
Don't start with the Golf Courses! For a while Hobson was an annual visitor purely to play golf!
Danny Archer
View Profile
V.I.P.
Philly
607 Posts

Profile of Danny Archer
My 2 week tour of Australia and New Zealand was one of the greatest lecture tours I ever did ... the scenery was incredible and the magic was great (and they seemed to enjoy my lecture as well!), but what I remember most was how fun-loving the people were ... I had such a good time hanging out with the locals and I even did a gig for company banquet that was quite a hoot ...

My youngest daughter knows EVERYTHING about Austalia and wants to go with me the next time I go ... maybe I can sneak her in my luggage!
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3226 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
I understand it's beautiful there. Also, it's an English speaking country. Apparently it's a deadly country too! This topic should be named, "Will you come to be buried down under?" Smile
My wife, who teaches, and my son, have the summer off. Here in New Hampshire, we have about two and a half months of summer weather and four months of winter weather. I'd have to convince my wife to leave the short summer here to go to the winter there. If there's good skiing there, that might be possible. My wife and son are crazy about skiing.

Are you in the warm Northern regions of Australia?

The expense and long trip tend to make other locations easier too.

Considering the situation is somewhat symmetrical for you, thanks for coming "up over!"
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
Tim Ellis
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
1234 Posts

Profile of Tim Ellis
We're actually in Melbourne, and the temperature can vary from 41 degrees (106 F)down to 6 degrees (43 F)... on the same day. It's an amazing place.

But you're right, it is such a huge country that travelling between two major cities like Melbourne and Sydney is a 10 hour drive. So the 14 hour direct flight from Melbourne to LA isn't really that bad. (Though I guess if you're used to 2 or 3 hour flights it might seem a bit much).

The 25 hour flight from Melbourne to Europe... that's another story completely!
MatBlack
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of MatBlack
Bill,

You can get to some of Australia's best Ski fields within a few hours of Melbourne - one of the few places around the world where you could visit the surf and ski on the same day.

As someone who has only recently come to love skiing (with a passion, if not any skill) I can heartily reccomend Mt. Buller and to a greater extent Mt. Hotham as exceptional holiday venues for any level of skiier.

Come on down - you won't regret it for a minute.

Tim's right - the place is huge, but that just means you rarely get the ludicrous amounts of tourist crowds you get in other venues around the world. That is a BIG plus, believe me.

M@
Tim Ellis
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
1234 Posts

Profile of Tim Ellis
I got banned from Mt Buller on our honeymoon.
MatBlack
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of MatBlack
I know I'll regret asking...but...why?

M@
Tim Ellis
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
1234 Posts

Profile of Tim Ellis
Funny you should ask Mat... as you might assume, I'm not a very good skiier, but I gave it a try. Imagine the scene, headed down "Bourke St" (the crowded run for beginners) and I picked up just a little too much speed when I really hadn't mastered the art of stopping... or even slowing down.

I was weaving around people all over the place, trying to avoid a major collision. Suddenly, I saw a little two year old on skis in front of me and I had absolutely nowhere to go - so I jumped. I actually jumped over the head of this little kid at who knows what speed. I didn't touch him but I think he got a fright and sat down and started crying.

An official Mt Buller Ski Nazi grabbed me, pulled me aside and told me to take off my skis and get off the mountain. He though I was some expert skiier recklessly showing off.

Probably better I did go back to the hotel. Earlier that day I almost accidentally went down a black run.
Sue-Anne Webster
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
97 Posts

If you want to go "outback" DON'T do it in our summer. Winter is great for that trip.

We have a very small population (22 million) on an island that's almost the size of the USA. So crowding is rare, except in peak hour in the city - which is like 5:00am morning traffic in Seattle (Crikey - what a busy city THAT is!)
npm37
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of npm37
As both an Australian Magician and a Scuba Diver I can tell you the sea life isn't nearly as dangerous as your average magic club meeting!
Sue-Anne Webster
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
97 Posts

You are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO right!
Michael Sullivan
View Profile
New user
Australia
86 Posts

Profile of Michael Sullivan
I want to do the effect that Sylvester the Cat always found himself in trouble with and place a mouse in a packing crate and produce a Giant Mouse ALA Kangaroo.

I am working on the Cut & Restored Southern Death Adder.

Michael
snap
View Profile
Loyal user
New York, USA
218 Posts

Profile of snap
Austrailia sounds really interesting, I'd love to visit. What's stopping me? Highschool.
**--snap--**
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The March 2006 entrée: Tim Ellis & Sue-Anne Webster » » Will you come downunder? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL