The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The March 2006 entrée: Tim Ellis & Sue-Anne Webster » » Brainstorm session » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Tim Ellis
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
1222 Posts

Profile of Tim Ellis
I know magicians love to chat theory, but it's always good to get something practical too, so here's a really basic trick idea I've been playing with... let's brainstorm it between us and see what we can come up with by the end of the week:

METHOD: You buy a dozen different cans of food from the grocery store - all different products but the same size. Buy another 12 cans of one product that is identical in size to the first dozen.

Take the labels off all of the cans and put the different cans away for later consumption, but put the 12 identical cans aside for magic use only.

Put the 12 different labels in one side of a change bag (or clear force bag) and the 12 identical labels in the other side.

EFFECT: Tell your audience that you've had enough of this useless ESP stuff where you damage cutlery and ruin watches. You've finally discovered a psychic power that can actually HELP mankind!

You show the naked can and ask someone to tell you what's inside. They can shake it, they can hold it up to the light... but they have no idea. They need to use psychic powers. (Maybe ESP stands for 'Extreme Shopping Prowess')

You show the bag filled with labels and explain that you're pretty sure that the contents of that can match one of the labels, but you need the spectator to call on his (or her) powers to divine which one.

They hold the can in one hand, reach into the bag (maybe while humming) and pull out one label. You whip out a can opener, crack the can open and sure enough, the contents and the label match.

Who knows, maybe this trick has been done on stage before, maybe not, but let's throw some ideas about and see what we can come up with together!
Count Hatrick
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of Count Hatrick
Don't know if this adds anything, but what if the spectator selects the label, and then can select a can from the dozen naked cans on display? Might give some more opportunity for by-play as they shake the cans trying to determine the difference.

Could also add some emotion to it by saying they have to eat the contents, no matter what they turn out to be.
revlovejoy
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania
765 Posts

Profile of revlovejoy
I was also thinking "more cans." After all, opening one will be enough. No one is going to expect them all to be opened to "prove" they were all different. The "Freely" chosen label is enough randomness I would think. Also, it takes heat off the label selection, since it happens first.

On the other hand, that's a lot of extra weight to lug around. Smile

This is an ironic thread for me. I spent the day rearranging our pantry. I know we weren't Y2K survivalist psychos, but we sure did shop that way! I think I could put this trick together RIGHT NOW from my pantry.

One more thing - use two spectators, one to choose the label first, one to choose the can second. Play the mentalism aspect as connections between people they didn't know they had. Jungian collective unconscious, but in much less scholarly terminology. Heck, throw in a third to use the can opener.

Now I need to get out some ziplocks and make a clear force bag. I know this should be easier than d'lites, but just in case, anyone have some tips?

PS - There MUST be garbanzo beans. Not a chick peas label, but garbanzo beans. Excellent word. Ask George Carlin.
Kaylan
View Profile
Special user
CT
758 Posts

Profile of Kaylan
How about adding a kicker...for example, inside the can they open is their paycheck or underwear, all smothered in sauce...OK that's not nice is it...but seriously...what about them finding their signed card or a coin previously used in a routine? I think there's a marketed effect out there that achieves this, so I assume the can would have to be gimmicked...but I'm just thinking out loud.

Kaylan

PS...this has given me a great idea - healed and sealed can of beans! (groans)
Sue-Anne Webster
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
97 Posts

Profile of Sue-Anne Webster
Now we're cooking.

How about using a three way change bag and three spectators each with a naked can.

Each holds their can and hums (I just want them to hum a local supermarket's theme music Smile ) and reaches into the bag and pulls out a label.

Rule of three: Can #1 opens, contents match! Can #2 opens, contents match! Can #3 opens.... it's the spectator's watch he didn't even know was missing from his wrist!

(Maybe the third label is actually blank? So when the spectator shows it the magician looks puzzled, opens the can anyway.. there's the watch!)

Can #3 is accomplished simply by a watch steal as the spectator is brought on to stage and loaded into a "trick can" Smile as the cans are first introduced.
revlovejoy
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania
765 Posts

Profile of revlovejoy
A patter idea, very raw and undeveloped:

Usually when people get their cans together for a canned food drive donation, it's always the stuff no one wants that they give away. The cans sitting there for years they can't remember why they bought them: red beets, canned spinach, etc.. Or something useless on its own, like the ever popular pumpkin pie filling.

The goal is to get something GOOD this time. Like a can of pudding, or chili, or something you would open and eat.
===========================================================
Another angle:

Like I said, I love garbanzo beans. Make that the selection. If you have an assistant, then during your next routine, sounds can be coming from backstage like a food processor, something that very definitely interrupts you. Eventually the assistant comes back with a bowl full of hummus with pita bread and veggies to share. One of the carrots ends up used in a hand chopper or other guillotine effect.

===========================================================
Have the can signed with a sharpie. Have another spectator "find" the right can before the label revelation. Too much? (I have no method for this, btw.)

----------------------------------------------------------
I like the three can version above. Would be a killer effect on par with bill to lemon. There is a commercial version, as has been mentioned, by Collector's Workshop, and as I just checked their website, it is out of stock.
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2469 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
Could one of the cans have one of those awful spring snakes in it? Smile
"I don't teach people stories about the coyote for them to tell. I AM the coyote. They tell stories about me."

-Pop Haydn
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2653 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
Since we are noodling here...the thing about this that bothers me the most is the, to me, ickiness of opening a can of food on stage. I sincere in this. Oddly, the only way this works for 'me' would to have the can opened and be wrong. "What's that lable? Corn? No, peas...hmmmm." And, then I would take the lable and put it through a large sized Money Maker Machine and have the correct lable come out.

The cognitive dissonance between getting it wrong and then magically making it correct would pull away from the other cans...."See, it could have been any of them!"

Also, the picture of just matching the prediction falls flat for me in my minds eye. What the heck do you do with an open can of food now? Oh, I know there are ways, but all the options bother me without some bang at the end. The idea of having something else appear in the cans also doesn't work for 'me' without some very studied humor hook. Again, I think it would be hilarious to not only get the food WRONG, but you find a dollar bill that had been borrowed earlier and its WRONG also. What a mess! Personally I wouldn't do this as it goes against my rule of making a routine too confusing, but I can see other performers making it into a rep maker.

How about this: Unlabled can selected. Lable selected. Open can and the wrong thing is in the can. You take the lable and magically transform into the correct one. You now paste the lable on the can and as you finish you show the audience that the can is ALSO HEALED! You now have a perfectly regular can to put in the pantry or SIGN and give to someone in the audience (my preferred mode).

All best,
Brad Burt
Tim Ellis
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
1222 Posts

Profile of Tim Ellis
BRAD - now this is getting very interesting! Though, I'm sure there are some less icky things that could be taken out of cans... pineapple rings?

Maybe you could go the icky way and open a can of baked beans, pour them into a big glass bowl and (using Brendan Montana's 'Tong in Cheek' tongs) dive on into the mess and fish out the spectator's previously lost signed bill.

There's a fine difference between muddying a plot line and wrapping up several untied theads in one culmative moment.

Though, I still like the purity of matching the right labels to the right cans by ESP...
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2653 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
Tim:

What about this...make the Money Machine into one of those Spectator Wears the Weird
Thing On the Head Because it Tells the Future Things....

Bring spectator up....unlabled can is selected....Blank lable shown....funny gadget secured on spectator's head....lable run through as the spectator concentrates on what is in the can...out pops lable.....open can...confirm spectator WAS correct!...put lable on can and heal can.

Yeh, you're right...it is a little weird and does kinda get away from the original spirit of the things....rats.

What about this: Spectator picks lable and can and they match as originally pictured. You then place one of those plastic lids on the can so the spectator can take it home as a souvenior. As they start to leave you ask them to pop the lid to make sure that the food is ok...or something...and out pops one of those spring snakes mentioned above? In the mouth of the snake is a the selected card. I'll have to work on this for a bit more........Best,
Brad Burt
Tim Ellis
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
1222 Posts

Profile of Tim Ellis
That's funny! Combining Barry's thought of snakes with your desire to avoid the mess... good brainstorming!

I don't even thing a selected card is needed!

Maybe, after you put the lid on the can you switch labels and it appears to have magically changed to one that reads 'Canned Cobra'.

You get them to tentatively open the lid....
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2653 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
My first thought, the one I didn't put down, was to put the plastic top on and then have the spectator, a woman, open the top and out falls a Rose, etc. If you had lables that were something like, 'Rose's Vegys' or something like that you could do the entire routine as stated originally, and then produce the flower for an added kick. The more I thought about it the better I liked it over the snake.

Other ideas were candy, a necklace, small stuffed animal. Best,
Brad Burt
Tim Ellis
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
1222 Posts

Profile of Tim Ellis
I still think there's something in combining the effect with the gimmicked can you can load a watch into...
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2653 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
How about this: At the beginning of your show, after the opening routine you borrow a watch and vanish same. You attempt to reproduce…no luck…. Show goes on and after another routine you again attempt to FIND the watch! No luck again….rats! You go into the CAN PREDICTION…it succeeds. As the spectator helping with that routine is opening up the can YOU are reading the label. You note that it is a can of baked beans and contains: small northern white beans, maple sugar, etc., etc. and a watch. A watch? You look up with raised left eyebrow at the audience. The can is opened to show that YES it IS baked beans. You remove a pair of tongs and rooting about in the beans you find a WATCH!!! But…..sad face here….it is the wrong watch.

Well, you decide to put the watch back in the gunk. Take the can and Heal the top. You now transform the label from baked beans to BAKED WATCH. Ask the watch guy to come up on stage and confirm that the can is indeed whole again. He opens and inside is not only his watch, but a gift certificate to a local restaurant for being such a good sport, etc. Best,
Brad Burt
MatBlack
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of MatBlack
I like it!!

A friend of Tim, Su-Anne and I - Tammy Twister - is extremely proficient at watch stealing. I could see her making a running gag out of the continual search for the original watch – where she repeatedly finds ‘other’ watches along the way – from other volunteers etc. – even from previous shows. Ending with the ‘healed’ can.

When my sister came back from Denmark a while back, she brought back a can of pudding called ’60-second-pudding’ – it was a self-saucing number, with an unbelievably rich chocolate sauce, that – when served with just the right amount of icecream….but I digress….

…my point is I like the ‘baked watch’ lable, but are there other canned foods (such as the aforementioned ’60-second pudding’…with that rich, dark chocolate sauce…mmmmm…) that have a better tie-in with watches or time etc.?

M@

P.S. Don’t touch the tongs Tim! Don’t go there!
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2653 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
Something like baked beans would be 'funny' I think and still allow you to see the watch. Most are fairly runny. If the stuff in the can was too viscous I think the clean up needed would slow the show down at that point. That's really my only reason for thinking along the beans line. (Rats...now I want some pudding!)

I used to do Signed Card In Beanie Weenie can thusly: (I thinkk this would work with a watch also) Card selected and signed and placed in deck. Control to bottom and bottom palm into L.H. Hand out deck and do one hand fold of card with L.H. Beanie Weenie can with pop top is sitting on table during all this. Spectator sets deck on can and you mumble magic stuff. They take the deck away and you pick up the can with L.H. smashing he now finger palmed card on side of can. Tilt can to audience and let them see you pop the pull tab. Spectator finishes pulling off the lid while you hold can. Let them look inside. Do they see anything? No? You then do the following: R.H. reaches over and takes the can palm up. It will seem awkward at first, but it looks fine to the audience. You R. Thumb will be at the front of the can. You are going to grab it in a manner that will allow you to turn the can TOWORDS yourself with the R.H. As you do this the L.H. lets go of can and as you continue to turn the can over to pour its contents into a small clear glass bowl you let the card fall from your L. Finger Palm into the beans and weenies. Timed correctly the add-on is invisible. Hand spect. some tongs or tweezers and let them fetch the folded card and open, etc.

I think that this would work with a watch, but I like the idea of having a watch inside the sealed can. For the finale above you would have to have one. Hmmmm.
Brad Burt
MatBlack
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of MatBlack
Brad,

Ok, after the post on aussie slang - what is a weenie?

Is this like a small sausage - and therefore 'beanie weenies' are not dis-similar to 'franks and beans'?

M@
brandonford1982
View Profile
Loyal user
298 Posts

Profile of brandonford1982
One thing I would do is use cans with the lid that you pull back. I think trying to open with a can opener may take too long. But if all you have to do is pull the top back..... It will play smoother..... Just my 2 cents....
Dreams are a matter of choice, not chance. Live your Dreams. -DC
Tim Ellis
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
1222 Posts

Profile of Tim Ellis
Mat, I think a BEANIE WEENIE is like a little toy filled with those soft foam beans...

Brandon, good idea!
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2653 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
Oops! Over here you can get these little cans of beans and frankfurters. They are labled Beanie Weenie. Like half the size of a normal can of beans. Paul Harris came up with a classic routine using them years ago. Basically a chop cup and at the end the can is whole and unopened. Gregory Wilson came up with a wonderful variant using a small can of chocolate sauce and had to cease production when they stopped making that product. A real pity. Hope that clarifies. Best,
Brad Burt
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The March 2006 entrée: Tim Ellis & Sue-Anne Webster » » Brainstorm session » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.35 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL