The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The March 2006 entrée: Tim Ellis & Sue-Anne Webster » » Aussie Expressions » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Grammar Host
WV, USA
1649 Posts

Profile of Michael J. Douglas
Ok, so we've all heard famous expressions like "crikey," "fair dinkum," and "g'day."
What are some of your favorite expressions, and for us Aussie impaired, what do they mean?
Michael J.
“Believe then, if you please, that I can do strange things.” --from Shakespeare’s ‘As You Like It’
Tim Ellis
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
1222 Posts

Profile of Tim Ellis
C'mon you mugs, don't give us stick! We've stuck to straight English since we lobbed in, now you rock up and want to hear some strine.

You mob probably think all us Aussies are bludgers knocking back the turps - veging out in our trackie daks, sitting on a slab and throwing down tinnies and stubbies, ready to have a technicolor yawn.

Well that's definitely a porky in my case, I'm a real piker. Sue-Anne enjoys a glass of plonk now and then, Cab Sav or even cleanskin, but I wouldn't even touch a pot or a middy if it was a prezzy. Give me a bag of lollies, though a lolly bag is something completely different...

I'm flat out like a lizard drinking right now, but I don't want you looking like dills or drongos, so before I shoot through I'll give you the good oil. Don't spit the dummy though, I'm not having a lend of you, you've got to promise you'll give it a burl or you'll have Buckley's of understanding your cobbers.

So, you might be at an ace barbie, or spending the arvo watching a game of aerial ping pong, when some bloke bails you up and gives you an earbashing. No need to chuck a wobbly, she'll be right if you just look at the context of what he said.

Though, there are some pretty prickly ones.

* You can take a cut lunch with you, but whatever you do, don't cut your lunch in polite company.
* A cockie could be one of three things... maybe four.
* To go to bed with a hottie is not as exciting as you might think, it's just a hot water bottle.
* Knockers can be a good or bad thing.
* It's good to have a pack of mates here, but in a very different sense than it is in the USA.
* The only place that's good to eat a freckle is in a lolly shop.
* In the same vein, you can go on a date, or sit on your date.
* And an extremely important one for the ladies: as a certain female tourist from the USA learned, you don't arrive in Australia and promptly announce how sore your fanny is.

So study up carefully and I reckon you'll have no worries. You won't sound like a galah, a dipstick or a septic... you'll pass for a true blue, dinky di Aussie!

Hooroo!
Sue-Anne Webster
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
97 Posts

Profile of Sue-Anne Webster
Blimey, Tim.

Onya, mate!

Your chooks cooked, so don't be hangin too long or you'll be done like a dog's dinner. Luv from ya missus.
ASW
View Profile
Inner circle
1837 Posts

Profile of ASW
Lookin' a bit wonkie there, Tim. If you're busier than a one-armed paper hanger you better get a wriggle on. As for NOT having a bevvie every now and again: you must be troppo. I like a cold Schoo-ie myself every now and again and even get in a wedgie in between shouts whenever I'm drier than a dead dingo's donger (or a pommie's bath towel, even). These blokes who don't have a quiet one, I reckon they wouldn't know the postman was up 'em until he blew the whistle.

Mind you, over here, a cold one is rare than rocking horse manure.

See you 'round like a rissole.
Whenever I find myself gripping anything too tightly I just ask myself "How would Guy Hollingworth hold this?"

A magician on the Genii Forum

"I would respect VIPs if they respect history."

Hideo Kato
MatBlack
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of MatBlack
Gees guys,

all this guff is enough to put a bloke off his Dog's eye and dead horse! Ah, no probs! But I'd love to see the rest of em Drongo's try and get a gander at what the hell we're all rabbiting on about.

Mind you, they're giving both Tim and Sue-Anne a fair suck of the sav, so I guess I can't whinge much - and we all know you'r blood's worth bottling.

Better stop bludging now, rack off and get back to the hard Yakka - I've got to make a quid, ya know.

She'll be right!

M@
Ian Richards
View Profile
Loyal user
211 Posts

Profile of Ian Richards
Struth,

You blokes have come the raw prawn, time for the rough end of a pineapple.
Tim Ellis
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
1222 Posts

Profile of Tim Ellis
Onya Ian for trying, but I can still hear your accent! Smile
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Grammar Host
WV, USA
1649 Posts

Fair suck of the sav, Tim! You're a dinki-di bottling his blood's worth.
I may be a bit bodgy with the Aussie lingo, but I reckoned I'd give it a burl. I'm still nothin' like a ridgy-didge, but like London to a brick, she'll be apples if I don't give it away.

Now who opened their lunch?
Michael J.
“Believe then, if you please, that I can do strange things.” --from Shakespeare’s ‘As You Like It’
Tim Ellis
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
1222 Posts

Profile of Tim Ellis
Okay, a quick Strine quiz for all you wannabees out there, no help from the Aussies though:

Chemist =

Footsies =

Dingaling =

Cark =

RBT =

Brass Monkey Weather =

Lollipop Lady =

Kick to Kick =

Heart Starter =

Over the shoulder boulder holder =

Husband beater =

Chuck a Uee =

King Dick =

Good luck! Copulater!
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Grammar Host
WV, USA
1649 Posts

Ok, now you're just makin' up words there, Tim. Smile
Michael J.
Sue-Anne Webster
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
97 Posts

He's fair dinkum Michael - why not give it go!!

It's imaginative language - very visual... for example -

Whaddya reckon an "Over the shoulder boulder holder" might be. Imagine - boulders. What might hold something like boulders that is over the shoulder? (hint: of a woman)
IT Magic
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
113 Posts

Profile of IT Magic
Hey anyone know the origin of the brass monkey comment. A lovely naval story it is.
Magic, Illusion and Data Management
www.stardockmagi.blogspot.com

I picture a world of love and peace, a world without war where people live together in harmony.
I also picture us attacking that world 'cause they just wouldn't expect it
Sue-Anne Webster
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
97 Posts

Tell it!

It may help the "foreigners" figure out what "brass monkey" is.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3505 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Well, I'm sure that over the shoulder boulder holder is a a bra. Heard that one years ago.

I think a chemist is what we would call a drug store or pharamcy over here.

Really no clue on the rest. Over here a "wife beater" is a name for a tank top undershirt. NO clue what a "husband beater" is.

Is a dingaling a telephone? Are footsies little socks?

If Brass Monkey Weather means very cold weather than I think I get that one as well.

Vandy
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
Ian Richards
View Profile
Loyal user
211 Posts

Profile of Ian Richards
Quote:
On 2006-03-08 17:52, Tim Ellis wrote:
Onya Ian for trying, but I can still hear your accent! Smile

Good on ya Tim, whenever I go home to Melbourne people think I talk like a Yank! After having been away for eighteen years I was beginning to wonder ... Now I'm a bloke without a country because people in the U.S. still think I talk like an Aussie!
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Grammar Host
WV, USA
1649 Posts

Chemist = someone who makes, or serves, liquid amber

Footsies = Aussie football players (rugby)

Dingaling = telemarketer Smile

Cark = a worry or care

RBT = police

Brass Monkey Weather = really cold weather

Lollipop Lady = in Britain it's a crossing guard, but I'll say it's someone who serves drinks

Kick to Kick = a game of footy

Heart Starter = a heart attack or a defibrillator (or operator of one)

Over the shoulder boulder holder = a bra

Husband beater = a rolling pin

Chuck a Uee = throw a u-turn

King Dick = captain of a rugby team?

Now I shall go play with my straightjacket!
Michael J.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3505 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
You cheat!! I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that you googled those answers!! Are they all correct?

Vandy (shaking my fist at Michael)
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
Williamanon
View Profile
New user
Atlantic Canada
45 Posts

Profile of Williamanon
Tim Ellis
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
1222 Posts

Profile of Tim Ellis
I'm not so sure he did cheat, he only got a few right:

Chemist =

Footsies =

Dingaling =

Cark =

RBT =

Brass Monkey Weather = really cold weather

Lollipop Lady = in Britain it's a crossing guard

Kick to Kick = a game of footy (more information please)

Heart Starter =

Over the shoulder boulder holder = a bra

Husband beater =

Chuck a Uee = throw a u-turn

King Dick =
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Grammar Host
WV, USA
1649 Posts

Vandy,
This is NOT the place to reveal methods! That's in the Secret Sessions. Smile

Some of them, I had heard before. I used to watch Rugby! Some of them, we use here (husband beater and chuck a uee). Quite a few are just guess work. I googled two - RBT and Lollipop Lady - and they're still pretty much guesses. I found that in Britain, a lollipop lady is a crossing guard. However, I've heard that lolliwater is beer in Australia. So, I took a guess.

The link Williamanon posted only has "Cark it" which it says means "to die." I seems I'm wrong on at least that one!
Michael J.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The March 2006 entrée: Tim Ellis & Sue-Anne Webster » » Aussie Expressions » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 1.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL