The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Favorite way for getting setup for OOTW (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
weapon
View Profile
Inner circle
I am Emran. I have,
1328 Posts

Profile of weapon
I lately been combining Jay Sankey's back in time...with Paul Harris's galaxy..i find that preforming both effects back to back have a very very nice flow to them...plus using the slop shuffle gives me a very nice way of preparing for Galaxy if ya know what I mean and I thinks ya do!. Does anyone have a precursor effect that helps them get setup for an OOTW type effect?
Eternity by Emran Riaz (Gimmicks + Download) An IMPOSSIBLE prediction of ANY number, ANY word, literally ENGRAVED in a medallion they've been holding THE ENTIRE TIME.
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/12181
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Set-up? There is no set-up necessary! Shuffle the cards, fan the deck toward yourself, and perform the trick (See Jon Tremaine’s “Mentalism” video for this totally impromptu presentation of OOTW).
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
NeoMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
I have...
2017 Posts

Profile of NeoMagic
Harry Lorayne describes his preferred method in Close-Up Card Magic: "There has been much discussion among card men as to how to set-up the deck in order to get into Out of This World or Out of This Universe... I would think that the method you're accustomed to using is probably the best for you. But if you're interested in how I do it, this is it..." (p.84) He then describes a routine during which he sets the deck up.
See and download my latest free card-suits-themed desktop wallpaper | HERE
Silly Walter the Polar Bear
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of Silly Walter the Polar Bear
Quote:
On 2006-03-20 07:05, Harry Murphy wrote:
Set-up? There is no set-up necessary! Shuffle the cards, fan the deck toward yourself, and perform the trick (See Jon Tremaine’s “Mentalism” video for this totally impromptu presentation of OOTW).

I believe this is credited to UF Grant and is also the method I prefer.
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4291 Posts

Profile of Daegs
I do it in between effects, just underspread cull the cards as I look like I'm pulling out the aces or some, basically do it in between effects when you are chatting with the spectators... just make it look like you are counting or fiddling with the cards and not setting them up.

A trick and a false shuffle later and you're fine!
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Quote:
On 2006-03-20 07:52, Silly Walter the Polar Bear wrote:
Quote:

I believe this is credited to UF Grant and is also the method I prefer.

Yup, it's U.F. Grant's and it's the method I prefer as well.
Mesquita
View Profile
Special user
917 Posts

Profile of Mesquita
I think the best way is impromptu, you give the deck to be shuffle, and start the routine...with the final prediction climax. I think it is in one of ETMCM...take a look!

All the best,

:bikes: Mesquita Smile
"Siempre somos tres me acompaña la luna y me sigue mi sombra" René Lavand
peter teagle
View Profile
Regular user
Redditch, UK
195 Posts

Profile of peter teagle
I agree with Harry.

I do Ammars version on ETMCM Vol 9 with no set-up or sorting of the cards, even though Ammar does, it really isn't necessary.

Like Harry says, shuffle and fan the cards then do the trick, no funny business!

peter
"technique is science.
the application of technique is art."

peter teagle
Mesquita
View Profile
Special user
917 Posts

Profile of Mesquita
Quote:
On 2006-03-20 09:01, Mesquita wrote:
...with the final prediction climax.

Just one more thing, this is an Aldo Colombini Idea.
"Siempre somos tres me acompaña la luna y me sigue mi sombra" René Lavand
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Yep, the handling is in fact U.F. Grant's "NU WAY OUT OF THIS WORLD". It was sold as a one page mimeographed manuscript back in the 60's. I mentioned Jon's video because it is fairly easy to find and he added a couple of bits to the routine that make it a real convincer.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
weapon
View Profile
Inner circle
I am Emran. I have,
1328 Posts

Profile of weapon
Quote:
On 2006-03-20 11:35, Harry Murphy wrote:
Yep, the handling is in fact U.F. Grant's "NU WAY OUT OF THIS WORLD". It was sold as a one page mimeographed manuscript back in the 60's. I mentioned Jon's video because it is fairly easy to find and he added a couple of bits to the routine that make it a real convincer.

Interesting, can you point me to a place to get hold of the manuscript?
I have been using Galaxy as my prefered method, so that's why I need some sort of setup...
Eternity by Emran Riaz (Gimmicks + Download) An IMPOSSIBLE prediction of ANY number, ANY word, literally ENGRAVED in a medallion they've been holding THE ENTIRE TIME.
Bobby Forbes
View Profile
Inner circle
virginia beach, VA.
1569 Posts

Profile of Bobby Forbes
Paul Wilson's absolute zero comes to mind that leaves you set up for OOTW. It's found on his Knock 'em Dead DVD.
Daren
View Profile
Inner circle
2051 Posts

Profile of Daren
Or you could even do Pit Hartlings Chaos trick, this ends with the colours separated.
scorch
View Profile
Inner circle
1480 Posts

Profile of scorch
Quote:
On 2006-03-20 13:52, weapon wrote:
I have been using galaxy asmy prefered method, so that's why I need some sort of setup...

Are you familiar with the any of the impromptu versions? I like Galaxy too, but it's kind of hard to beat a spectator shuffle for a setup, especially for an effect like OOTW which so strongly suggests a stack.
peter teagle
View Profile
Regular user
Redditch, UK
195 Posts

Profile of peter teagle
In my version of Ammar's version I do let the spectator shuffle, I really don't see the need for any set-up at all, it's totally impromptu, even with the final prediction finish, unless I'm missing something!

peter
"technique is science.
the application of technique is art."

peter teagle
Chicagomagi
View Profile
New user
Riverside, IL
93 Posts

Profile of Chicagomagi
Jay Sankey's Dowsing is impromptu and needs no setup. Regardless if you prefer the original or do not like Jay's handling, it is worth a look as he teaches you the Vernon Substitute Transfer which is a fabulous utility move.

You can find it on his Three Ring Circus DVD. Not sure if it's presented on any of Jay's other works.
Chicagomagi
View Profile
New user
Riverside, IL
93 Posts

Profile of Chicagomagi
Jay Sankey's Dowsing is impromptu and needs no setup. Regardless if you prefer the original or do not like Jay's handling, it is worth a look as he teaches you the Vernon Substitute Transfer which is a fabulous utility move.

You can find it on his Three Ring Circus DVD. Not sure if it's presented on any of Jay's other works.
JPL
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of JPL
Perform Miraskill and then with a little handling the deck can easily be separated into the two colours. I think there are some notes on this in the Cardiste.

JPL
weapon
View Profile
Inner circle
I am Emran. I have,
1328 Posts

Profile of weapon
Quote:

thanks Mr murphy... I got the dvd today...i like his version very much.. =o)
MrRidge
View Profile
New user
Derby UK
76 Posts

Profile of MrRidge
Hi there,
Seeing as 'Lennart Green is your hero', I'm surprised his angle separation hasn't been mentioned for a setup.
Catch a look at Derren Browns OOTW version on 'Devil's Picture Book'. He uses this method. Also lets the spec shuffle the cards after the setup.
Cleanest looking OOTW I've seen.
Ridge
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Favorite way for getting setup for OOTW (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL