The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Linking Lifesavers (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Madmonk
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of Madmonk
I was looking for a good street magic type of effect and saw the Linking Lifesavers. Its described as: This is the ultimate close up effect, whereby a spectator freely selects any two genuine Lifesavers from a packet, preferably from their own packet for max effect.

They are each signed and without leaving the sight of the spectator (no hiding under silks, etc.) they are visibly linked together and whilst linked displayed closely to spectator for verification of their signature then tossed from hand to hand to prove no broken Lifesavers.

They are then unlinked and both handed back to the spectator intact to keep as (holey) souvenirs.

-Absolutely undetectable.
-No ready linked Lifesavers, glues, threads, hinges, shells, reels, pulls, magnets, etc.
-No reset; repeat instantly.
-Leaves you with fresh minty breath.

I am wondering if anyone has any thoughts on it. I would rather find that it's not as good as it says it is before I buy it.
Darrin Cook
View Profile
Special user
619 Posts

Profile of Darrin Cook
The signed portion of the effect is a bit too much for me. If you use Polo mints (available in the UK and the Philippines), you can link the mints and leave them with the audience. This would be my preference.
bekralik
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1069 Posts

Profile of bekralik
I think the signing part is too much, also. It's also a bit unbelievable ... kinda like it's 'too good' of a trick.

I play it down a bit. I bring up the subject of, y'know, how some girls can tie a knot in a cherry stem with their tongue? Then I put too normal lifesavers in my mouth and move them around and make faces like I'm trying so hard to do something with my tongue. Then I false-spit out the pair of linked lifesavers, (pretend to dry them off in a paper napkin if people are a bit grossed out, or to explain why there is no saliva on them in the first place if they just came from your mouth), throw them up in the air a few times to show they are really linked, then pretend to put them back in my mouth and destroy the evidence by biting the two that were originally in there. "I still haven't figure out how to get them unlinked."

Brian
Alan Jackson
View Profile
Elite user
Cardiff, UK
432 Posts

Profile of Alan Jackson
The signing bit is slightly misleading. But it's a very well-made prop and some strong routines could be worked out.
There are 10 kinds of people: those who understand binary numbers, and those who don't.
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1818 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
I agree with Alan, it is a very well made prop. My wife performs this piece and she loves it. It works for a woman to simply take out of her purse.

Kevin
http://www.livingillusions.com
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com

www.ridgewayandjohnson.com
bekralik
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1069 Posts

Profile of bekralik
>I agree with Alan, it is a very well made
>prop. My wife performs this piece and she
>loves it. It works for a woman to simply
>take out of her purse.

It's well-made, but unless you're very very careful, it may show signs of cracking, and then you will always worry if a spectator can see that. It is very delicate. It's not cheap, either, so I would have hoped there were a few more in the package.

Brian
WanderingMagician
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of WanderingMagician
Apparently Colin Gilbert originates from the UK. I'd heard that there is a UK version with Polos instead of lifesavers. I own the linking lifesavers and still perform it even though the branding is wrong. But it would be so much better if I could do it with polos. Does anyone know how I can contact Colin to get my hands on a UK version?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26449 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
something about this sounds wrong. As I recall lifesavers, the hole is not so large as to fit the rim. Puzzled. -Jon
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Tim Taylor
View Profile
Veteran user
1970 - 2012
375 Posts

Profile of Tim Taylor
Yes, it is very well made and as for it looking real...
I keep mine on top of the mints in a real Lifesaver pack. My wife took it out and ate it!
I got it back, luckily my wife did'nt swallow it! Smile
Bekrallik, shows signs of cracking? Smile
I have had mine for at least 2 years and it shows no signs of wear and tear. Smile
"Even a mosquito gets a slap on the back for a job well done" - Tim Taylor
tdowell
View Profile
Inner circle
1045 Posts

Profile of tdowell
I never liked this one. Just too obvious how its done and my lifesaver broke after about 3 years (in a drawer). Smile
WanderingMagician
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Switch it for a properly linked set (which can be made fairly easily) at the end and you have a bloomin' miracle...that you can then give away.
cardfreakhk
View Profile
Special user
Hong Kong SAR
584 Posts

Profile of cardfreakhk
If I need to do a switch, I would just switch them to the linked set and hand them out for exam.

I agree with the those who said signing is too much. Have we ever write something on FOOD?

Michael Lam Smile
Don't just dream, stay awake and action!
Alan Jackson
View Profile
Elite user
Cardiff, UK
432 Posts

Profile of Alan Jackson
Quote:
On 2003-06-20 16:10, WanderingMagician wrote:
...I'd heard that there is a UK version with Polos instead of lifesavers ... Does anyone know how I can contact Colin to get my hands on a UK version?

A polo version is available here
http://www.abracadabra.co.uk/
There are 10 kinds of people: those who understand binary numbers, and those who don't.
WanderingMagician
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

cardfreakhk,

That's how I used to do it for years until I got hold of Gilbert's version. The link is way more visual than if you simply do the switch.

Alan,

The site says nothing about a polo version. A few years back I emailed Martin Breese about the possibility of buying a polo version. He ignored my mail. Perhaps I should try again.
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2426 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
Great effect, great gimmick but fragile to some extent. Be careful with it and you will have a miracle on your hands.
Chance
Creator of Wacky Wolf Productions & Fine Collectibles

A DECADE of building Magic and we're just getting started!

http://www.wolfsmagic.com
japanjazzy
View Profile
Regular user
Crestview, Florida
139 Posts

Profile of japanjazzy
I bought this trick almost two years ago and it became a desk drawer trick. I do not believe it is as impromptu as led to believe. And as far as asking someone for a livesaver you need to make sure it is the right type or it will not work out.
highmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
373 Posts

Profile of highmagic
couldn't find the Polo version at http://www.abracadabra.co.uk/, any other sources?
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
2018 Posts

Profile of Rennie
This is definitely one for the drawer. Save your money.
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
highmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
373 Posts

Profile of highmagic
I'll try it again... Anybody knows where to buy the Polo Mint version? I usually pluck out a LifeSaver from a borrowed pack of Polo (nobody ever noticed it), but I'd feel safer with a real Polo
sleightofhand1
View Profile
Elite user
440 Posts

Profile of sleightofhand1
get the new one that says 'lifesavers' NOT 'lifesaver !!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Linking Lifesavers (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2017 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL