The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The International Brotherhood of Magicians! » » 2 sponsors for being part of "IBM"???? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
osmar
View Profile
New user
Burke, Virginia
32 Posts

Profile of osmar
A few days ago I tried to apply for a membership at the "international brotherhood of magicians", but when they sent me the application they stated that I need to have 2 sponsors that are already members of this association......I barely know one magician in my area, and I am not even sure he knows enough about me to sponsor me....(assuming he is a member)......what do I do?...
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2824 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
Find a local ring and go as a visitor to one of their meetings. If you show a genuine interest in magic someone will sponsor you. The magic fraternity is a family, to be adopted into the family your true motivation must be determined. Good luck!
:bikes: Smile Smile
<<<KRaZy4kardz>>>
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
osmar
View Profile
New user
Burke, Virginia
32 Posts

Profile of osmar
Thank you "K".....I'll do that.....
Cory Gallupe
View Profile
Inner circle
Nova Scotia, Canada
1279 Posts

Profile of Cory Gallupe
Or, if worse comes to worse, SEND it by mail to 2 members from the Café. We will be more than happy to sponser you.
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2670 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
There are so many IBM Rings around the country that you really have to be isolated not to have one within a hour or less to your situation. Go to their web site and contact them about who is closest, etc. Getting your application signed should be no bigger deal than just showing up at a meeting. I mean what moron who is not interested in magic seriously would want to spend the money to join if they are not REALLY interested in magic? If you just can't find someone let us know and someone here will get you fixed up. All best,
Brad Burt
Matty Moriates
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of Matty Moriates
How can I find out about an I.B.M. ring near me?

Thanks!
Matty

p.s. I live about 30-40 minutes north of Los Angeles, California. Thanks Smile
-3-
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2824 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
Quote:
On 2006-04-04 20:55, Matty Moriates wrote:
How can I find out about an I.B.M. ring near me?

Thanks!
Matty

p.s. I live about 30-40 minutes north of Los Angeles, California. Thanks Smile
http://www.magician.org/LocalRings/california.htm
Or try Society of American Magicians (SAM) assemblies at: http://www.magicsam.com/samweb.html Go to the bottom of page to find an assembly in L.A. Good luck and break a wand! BTW I belonged to an SAM assembly (Paul Diamond) way back in the '70s in Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.
:bikes: Smile Smile
:hypnodisk: KRaZy4kardz Smile
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
Matt Kerner
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of Matt Kerner
The way I got into mine, was that I stayed a couple times, as a guest (they'll let you do that!). Showed them a couple effects here and there, they knew I liked magic, and 2 of 'em decided to sign for me.

I've been busy, so I haven't been going lately, but trust me, IBM meetings are really great! You get to see some effects, talk about the magic world, learn something new... it's all good. Don't pass it up.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4573 Posts

Profile of Payne
Though it's far from true that there are enough Rings around that the closest one is an hour or less from your home it appears that you're in luck as the Washington DC ring is close to where you live. Find info about this ring here http://www.magician.org/LocalRings/washingtondc.htm
and be glad you don't live in Vermont, North Dakota or South Dakota, Delaware or Maine as they haven't any Rings.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
andre combrinck
View Profile
Special user
South Africa
953 Posts

Profile of andre combrinck
There is no ring in South Africa(not in '95 when I joined,anyway).But the just sponsored me in anyway.They also sent me the same letter and about a month later they let me know that I was sponsored by 2 American magicians-strange!
I really miss the Linking Ring magazine.
Andre
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
I left South Africa for Taiwan and here is also no IBM Ring. In fact I am finding it hard to find a proper magic club. Best you get is to phone up a magician friend and have a cup of coffee or watch a new DVD or or borrow a new book or whatever. Not complaining though I have had some great times but an IBM ring would be nice.
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
Abc, have you considered starting one? It might seem like an exercise in futility, but there are times that a magician in your area might look for a ring and not find one. You may never meet that magician. But if there IS a ring from time to time one might find it and now you have a new friend.

That's how the big ones started, why not your's?
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
I have thought about it and I am very seriously considering it. I am just not exactly sure how to go about it and what requirements I need to meet and if I do it I want it to be excellent. I hate second best.
Any advice?
mouliu
View Profile
Regular user
Hongkong/Taiwan
169 Posts

Profile of mouliu
Hey abc, Taiwan IBM branch was set up a few months ago. But I'm not sure if "IBM branch"=ring. As far as I know, there's no regular gathering yet. Several lectures (including the Lee Asher's one) have been held under Taiwan IBM branch title.

PM me if you want more details.
A novice't reflection: I like watching my audience's jaws drop, but sadly in reality I'm just too busy to enjoy it. Smile
AGMagic
View Profile
Special user
Cailf.
775 Posts

Profile of AGMagic
Matty,

Ring 280 meets in Valencia the second Thursday of each month. Check out http://www.ibmring280.com. Ring 21 meets in the North Hollywood area on the first Thursday of each month, and I believe there is a ring in Simi Valley. Sorry I don't have any more info on them. Or check out http://www.magician.org as posted above.

Tim
Tim Silver - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Magic-Woodshop/122578214436546

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Visualize Whirled Peas!
rmoraleta
View Profile
Special user
Philippines
766 Posts

Profile of rmoraleta
You need 10 active members to start a Ring. Write to the Executive Secretary of the IBM, Sindie Richison or e-mail her or check her e-mail at the above I.B.M. website.

I suddenly remembered how hard it was for me to apply for a Ring in 1997, with no computers and fax machines. It was all by snail mail. It was for Ring 328 - Inner Magic Club. One of my sweetest memories.
osmar
View Profile
New user
Burke, Virginia
32 Posts

Profile of osmar
I have not logged-in in a while.......Thank you very much for the help......(Thanks Payne for the link!!.....I've been so close to a "ring" and had no idea it was there.....)........really appreciate your concern....
MrBob102
View Profile
Regular user
Northern Virginia
114 Posts

Profile of MrBob102
The National Capital Ring 50 meets the first Wednesday of the month at
THE HOLIDAY INN, Alexandria-I-95 @ Telegraph Rd., 2460 Eisenhower Ave., Alexandria, VA
4:30 Close-up Magic (optional)
6:00 Cocktails
6:30 Dinner
8:00 Meeting
10:00 Close-up Magic in Bar (optional)

May 3rd meeting is the Magician of the Year contest.

Come down....
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
Payne,

Maine has a new Ring (petition for charter signed 1/2006), the Ring locator at I.B.M. just hasn't put up our information. Here's our website:

http://www.ibmring362.org

It's easy to start a Ring. Instructions are available online from the I.B.M. All you need is the signatures of ten active members on a Petition for Charter. You mail that in, and about a month later you have a charter. The I.B.M. will help you find members in your area to gather enough people for an organizational meeting. When you first start a Ring, there is a little extra work for the officers until you get on your feet.

Yours,

Paul
impossible man
View Profile
Elite user
401 Posts

Profile of impossible man
Osmar:

Before I joined, I contacted the IBM about this issue. The person who answered said, just write in my name in the sponsor space. That was all it took.
Dean Gilbert
Impossible Man
www.impossibleman.net
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The International Brotherhood of Magicians! » » 2 sponsors for being part of "IBM"???? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2018 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL