The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Lovely Trained Cockatoo for Sale (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
paulapaul
View Profile
Regular user
Nevada
173 Posts

Profile of paulapaul
Success! A wonderful Magic Café reader has provided temporary relief, and I am so grateful! He contacted some guys from nearby who want to learn about big birds. So, they will get experience with an exotic, plus get in on a few secrets, in exchange for taking Saki out to hospitals and retirement homes three times a week. All my pets have worked in Pet Therapy for over 15 years, (Oh, yeah, these birds have nice resumes. Really!) until we moved waaaaay out into the country. These 2 angels (oh, I guess young guys probably don’t want to be referred to as “angels”) are volunteering a lot of time come all the way out here, to help keep Saki exposed to new stimulation. Such a Catch -22! No matter the risk, it was imperative to take her mate out of her cage. It was just getting too dangerous to leave them together. But it really put me against the wall, since keeping some kind of social interactions for your exotics is pretty much your job when you own one, especially if they have had a public life. I have heard it’s real hard for old lions to retire, too. Ahhh, the smell of the greasepaint, the roar of the crowds!

Thank you also, for the notes from friends and strangers with so many kind words. … you all made me smile. The bag of popcorn cracked me up. Thanks for sending it. Saki made it disappear.

Back to adoption – everyone so far who wants Saki is from outside the USA. Yikes. The difference between USA and, say, Canada is that prep for the USA would be 2 weeks max, while planning for Canada would be 2 months, at least. All travel – let alone border crossing - has to be done in a very specific way. For the next couple of months, I am tied up in a brutally tight (but fun) production schedule - definitely won’t be able to have that kind of time. These 2 great guys have committed to working with Saki through the summer, and beyond, if needed. That really helps take the pressure off having to act this minute. I’d like to put out another call later, and have time to work for the best options

Various people have sent similar questions, and they are good ones. I’d like to answer them here, as others may be thinking of the same questions. It’s totally OK to continue corresponding with me by e-mail. I read what some have said about going public (smile). So, guys and girls, thanks for your time if you have been following this. I’ll post again as soon as I can. Cordially, Paula
fib
View Profile
Inner circle
1535 Posts

Profile of fib
I am a 12-year old African grey parrot. I am lonely because my owner doesn't take me out of the cage enough. Oh, sure. He feeds me [so-called Spanish peanuts. Spanish? Give me a break.] Gives me water...and once in a while, his kid will stick his finger in the cage, and wonders why I take a stab at it. I'm bored. So Saki, if you're reading this. I'm with ya, baby.
fib the parrot
fib
View Profile
Inner circle
1535 Posts

Profile of fib
Oh, and another thing [sqawk!]...dear lady owner, you sound way too defensive and cold-blooded to be owning a living creature. I think there's probably some politburo, communist party guy in China who thinks like you do.
fib the parrot
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Pragmatic people can also be kind and loving people. One does not disqualify the other. And I've met some very nice people who live in mainland China.

I worked with a trained bird show for years. The birds were Australian Sulpur Crested Cockatoos. Much as people love to humanise the birds and attach human characteristics to them, they do not have a familial relationship with us.

We, as silly needy humans, might see them as our 'babies' but they see us as providers and friends. They are extremely intelligent birds and can see through feigned friendliness in an instant. They simply will not perform for people they do not trust and like.

I trained many people to work with the birds over the years and they easily adapt to new people and form new friendships.

Even human babies are at some point kicked out of the nest and sent out into the big wide world to find new friends.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Lovely Trained Cockatoo for Sale (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL