The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The April 2006 entrée: Michael Ammar » » A Real Gentleman » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MField2000
View Profile
Special user
Hastings, East Sussex, England
590 Posts

Profile of MField2000
I thought it would be appropriate to post a true story about the first time I met Michael Ammar.

It was in 1987 at the last New York Close Up Magic Symposium. Michael was well known among the magic fraternity, but this was before videos had really taken off so he had not reached the superstar status among magicians he now enjoys. I saw him in the dealers' room and approached because I wanted to purchase some Card on Ceiling wax -- Michael's is considered by most everybody as the best.

A young man had engaged Michael in a discussion. The topic was Magical Arts Journal, a magazine Michael ran in conjunction with Adam Fleischer. The publishing schedule had gone kablooey and the young man was asking Michael about where the issues remaining on his subscription were.

I will never forget what Michael told this fellow. Rather than ducking the subject, or making some lame excuses, Michael gave the man his word that he, alone if necessary, would complete production on the promised number of issues so that each subscriber got what they had contracted for.

And he did just that.

Michael is known as a man who will spend time with interested magicians after he lectures. He cares deeply about magic. His chops are fantastic -- I highly recommend his Roll Over Aces video for serious card magicians who want a challenging, devastating routine. I wrote in Genii Magazine, when I was their video reviewer, that Easy to Master Card Miracles are among the finest magic videos ever produced. Ever.

He works hard and he is a highly motivated individual. He got to his position with sweat, but you'll search hard for anyone who will say a negative word about this man.

Thanks for visiting the Café, Mike. You're a class act.

Matt Field
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
A REAL class act and a credit to this profession. I have to second that wholeheartedly.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Michael Ammar
View Profile
Creative Spotlight Guest
83 Posts

Profile of Michael Ammar
Wow, Matt. You just made my day!

I thought people had forgotten about how the Magical Arts Journal went down, because after all, that was almost 20 years ago! But pulling those final issues together while working with Hannah as illustrator was really challenging. Adam had drawn a salary for doing his part of the magazine, and even when issues weren't coming out he was drawing his salary, until eventually, there was simply nothing left. So those issues were printed out of pocket, and mailed to almost 1,500 people.

So I'm one of those people who learned to appreciate how short a month really is. And then I look at you! And the wonderful job you are doing with the MAGIC CIRCULAR! You are my new hero!
MField2000
View Profile
Special user
Hastings, East Sussex, England
590 Posts

Profile of MField2000
Quote:
On 2006-04-27 23:39, Michael Ammar wrote:
You are my new hero!

You mean I'm replacing Asher?

Matt Field
Michael Ammar
View Profile
Creative Spotlight Guest
83 Posts

Profile of Michael Ammar
I wouldn't put it exactly that way! It's true that Lee is on one of my lists, but since I can relate to the demands you face on a monthly basis, you are on that special, small list of people who know how to handle and meet deadlines in a responsible, dependable way. And with quality, too, so you can appreciate how rare that is inside of magic!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The April 2006 entrée: Michael Ammar » » A Real Gentleman » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL