The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The April 2006 entrée: Michael Ammar » » Michael, your thoughts please. » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Marty The Magnificent
View Profile
New user
STL, Missouri
23 Posts

Profile of Marty The Magnificent
Has magic ever had a negative effect or got in the way of your family life?

Example, I can mention a few occasions where I wanted to go do magic or something that had to do with magic, however, that in turn caused an arguement between the wife and I, because she wanted me to stay home.

Now I know family comes first, but has anything like this ever happened to you, and how did you handle it, in a way that made both of you pleased?

Marty
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
You need to bring your wife to some GOOD MAGIC events. There she will meet some other "wives" and can bond with them while you are learning to hold a break.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Marty The Magnificent
View Profile
New user
STL, Missouri
23 Posts

To refrain from getting into an arguement, I did infact offer to take her with me, as life is short and I do try to spend as much time as possible with my family. However, sometimes that is not good enough and she would rather do something else, causing me to miss out on lectures, meetings, etc.

I will try once again to get her to come with me, however, she gets kind of fed up with magic every once in awhile, due to fact, I occasionally *cough* (lol) wake her up at like 3am with the "Hey, check out this new trick!" lol.

Any ideas?
Rob Elliott
View Profile
Elite user
Reston VA
487 Posts

Profile of Rob Elliott
Umm... wait until morning?
Marty The Magnificent
View Profile
New user
STL, Missouri
23 Posts

Lol, yes I know I should wait.

That is not the main reasoning behind our arguements, its just...how to say this...she would rather go somewhere and do something fun and outgoing rather than sit at a magic meeting or lecture.

But the main reason I asked Michael is obviously, he travels a lot for magic, and I wanted to know what effect it had on his family life and how he handled it.
mc_magi
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
949 Posts

Profile of mc_magi
Quote:

But the main reason I asked Michael is obviously, he travels a lot for magic, and I wanted to know what effect it had on his family life and how he handled it.

I, am in no place of answering your question, but from things I've read his wife also comes from long generation of magic related family... So I don't think there would ahve been arguments about whether they'd want to aattend lecture or not.

I still want to know about all the travelling etc though!
Marty The Magnificent
View Profile
New user
STL, Missouri
23 Posts

Lucky.....

:Þ
Chris "linkster" Watson
View Profile
Special user
England
564 Posts

Profile of Chris
What's in it for me? Is probably in the back of your wife's mind. How about taking her away for a "magical" weekend and promising you won't play with any magic for the entire time.

Failing that tell her you are perfecting magically making an assistant dissapear from a trunk...lock the trunk and go to your meeting....you may want to get a few tips in Lion taming for when you get back though Smile
Michael Ammar
View Profile
Creative Spotlight Guest
83 Posts

Profile of Michael Ammar
Nothing is ever a simple issue when you start considering how it impacts your relationship with your wife. There are so many different dynamics when it comes to a personal passion or a career, just as there are a great many things that affect the interactions with your spouse.

Here's an example... to be good at magic I've always felt that you really have to put some major time into it at some point. During your foundation building years I think your magic would benefit from an obsessive level of focus, so much so that it is bound to try the patience of people around you. I spent more than 10 years of obsessively prioritizing magic before I met Hannah, so by the time we starting dating I was able to interact with people on a social level without forcing them to watch too much magic!

So Hannah missed the worst part of the obsessive commitment to magic, and she also brought a healthy interest in magic, since her family had been and still is involved with magic. Plus, her artistic and computer skills make her a wonderful partner on so many levels.

Before we had children, Hannah would travel with me, and that was a wonderful thing! Now she stays at home to take care of our two children, and while she still manages a lot of what I do behind the scenes, her main focus is on running the household.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
And that is the way it SHOULD be!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Marty The Magnificent
View Profile
New user
STL, Missouri
23 Posts

Michael,

Thank you for your input, that makes me look at it a little differently, I was just lost and needed some guidance on the yes and no's of magic and relationships...(sounds like a great book title, dang I'm good) anyways, thank you all for your replies and help through this matter.

Marty
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The April 2006 entrée: Michael Ammar » » Michael, your thoughts please. » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL