The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Review: Meant To Be - John Born's Book On The Any Card Any Number Plot (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Cody S. Fisher
View Profile
V.I.P.
Austin, Texas
1023 Posts

Profile of Cody S. Fisher
Review: “Meant To Be” By John B. Born

This is the latest book from John Born…and I must say that I am torn in writing this review. To be honest I don’t really want anyone to know about this book! (It’s that good) If mine were the only copy in existence I would be one lucky guy.

It all started at F.F.F.F. a few weeks ago. John and I were in the lobby discussing the “Any Card Any Number” plot. We were exchanging ideas and talking about various methods and presentations. He told me of his new book on the subject and that he would be performing his “contest winning” version later that day. I could hardly wait!

My anticipation grew as his performance drew near. When the performance was over…I found myself looking around the room at all the magicians with blank looks on their faces. It was nice to see so many magicians fooled so badly! For the rest of the convention I watched many magicians follow John around in hopes that he would “tip” the method…but I don’t think he told anyone. I like many others immediately pre-ordered a copy of his book and am glad I did.

When it arrived in the mail I was “shocked” yet again. I was expecting a set of lecture notes or maybe even a comb bound book of sorts. When I opened the box I was surprised to find a beautifully produced hard bound book.

It begins with an introduction by Ken Krenzel and the list of contributors is incredible. (Ken Krenzel, Allan Ackerman, Barrie Richardson, Banacheck, Martin Joyal, Josh Jay, Tony Miller, and Paul Cummins to name a few!)

The book does not jump right into methods. The first chapter is a wonderfully written essay on just about every aspect of the “Any Card Any Number” plot I have ever read. John has really put a lot of thought into this plot and shares many ideas on how to take this effect to the next level. So many times this effect is presented as a “coincidence” effect. John’s thoughts on how to properly present this effect are very innovative and in my opinion take this from a mere coincidence and transform this into a beautiful piece of card magic.

The next section of the book deals with John’s wonderful “Meant To Be” system for ACAN. I have been “collecting” methods for the ACAN plot for many years…and this has got to be the most clean and direct handling for ACAN I have ever read! Briefly…the cards are in the box…a card in named…a number is named…the cards are openly removed from the box and handed to a volunteer…the number is counted to…the card is there! This is exactly what ACAN should look like!

In this chapter John outlines his preferred handling and also several other optional handlings using the “Meant To Be” system. Later on in the book John even outlines this “award winning” routine!

Another aspect that I found particularly helpful was John’s thoughts on “calculations” when using a memorized deck. For me…performing several calculations during a performance has always been a struggle. Through one simple ruse, John has drastically simplified the calculations for the memorized deck versions.

The rest of the book is devoted to many ACAN effects. They range from completely self-working to some sleight of hand required. Just about every version is a winner.

The last part of the book contains a “History And Credits” section. Here John gives a VERY comprehensive outline of many ACAN effects in print. This alone is an excellent resource for you ACAN fans.

If you are interested in the Any Card Any Number effect then I would HIGHLY recommend this book…you will not be disappointed!

Only available at: http://www.johnborn.com

I hope this helps,
Cody S. Fisher
For DVD's, Lecture Notes, Unique Tricks, & Instant PDF Downloads Please Visit: www.CodyFisher.com/store

Cody's Comedy Confabulation / Silk-2-Egg / Killer Prediction / Tossed Out Deck

For Instant Lecture Video Downloads Or My Marketing Course Downloads Please Visit: www.Magic-Trick.net
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4267 Posts

Profile of Daegs
Just have to say that having been there when he did win the contest with this, it is gold as is all of John's stuff.

Highly recommended.
shomemagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Missouri
1889 Posts

Profile of shomemagic
I am not familiar with John Born other than I knew he put something out a few years ago..However I do value Cody Fishers opinions and thoughts on magic.If he puts merit in somethingits has to be great. So this is now on my want list base upon his praise.
Magically,

Mike King - Sho-Me Magic

You can e-mail me at: shomemagic@gmail.com
Cody S. Fisher
View Profile
V.I.P.
Austin, Texas
1023 Posts

Thanks for the kind words Mike...I really appreciate that!

I don't ususally endorse magic items as I feel that one mans trash is another mans treasure. However if you really like the ACAN plot then I am sure you will be very happy with this book.

FYI Mike...John has one version in particular that is perfect for strolling. I don't want to give away any of John's stuff...but let me say that his strolling version is a very locial ending to any ambitious card sequence.

Cody S. Fisher
For DVD's, Lecture Notes, Unique Tricks, & Instant PDF Downloads Please Visit: www.CodyFisher.com/store

For Instant Lecture Video Downloads Or My Marketing Course Downloads Please Visit: www.Magic-Trick.net
Steve Haynes
View Profile
Special user
Southeastern United States
990 Posts

Profile of Steve Haynes
Ken Krenzel in his book CLOSE-UP IMPACT has a version just as you described,from the card case,which is a very nice solution.
I too have studied this effect for years,and hope this book will be worth the money for someone who is well read.
I just placed my order.
Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler.
Albert Einstein
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
1797 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
I met John a couple of years ago at the Midwest Magic Jubilee. I had already purchased his book w/disk Matrix God's Way which contains some of the coolest coin ideas I had seen in a long time. I have since watched John peform some of these items and fry everyone in the room.

One thing John and I share is a love of magic that seems truly IMPOSSIBLE. This is the stuff that leaves everyone scratching their heads and talking about it for days after witnessing it. John won the close up contest at the MagiFest on the strengh of one of his Any Card at Any Number routines. This routine was also a tremendous hit at FFFF this year. It was one of the items that was talked about throughout the convention since it just seemed totally impossible.

I will leave you with three words of advice - get this book!

Mike
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3262 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
Just ordered my copy.
When both Cody and Mike say something is good, it MUST be exellent.

Peo
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
Caliban
View Profile
Special user
682 Posts

Profile of Caliban
Peo

What was the postage charge to Europe? It doesn't say on John's site.

Thanks
Cane and Able
View Profile
New user
The Great White North
79 Posts

Profile of Cane and Able
Hey all,

Can this version be done standing on stage?

Have a great day!
Cody S. Fisher
View Profile
V.I.P.
Austin, Texas
1023 Posts

Cane & Able,

There are many versions in the book. Like I said earlier...some of the best methods I have ever read. (and I collect methods for this!) John has some great methods for close up and stage. Oh and yes you can do all of these methods standing!

I hope this helps,
Cody S. Fisher

Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3262 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
Quote:
On 2006-05-09 16:48, Caliban wrote:
Peo

What was the postage charge to Europe? It doesn't say on John's site.

Thanks

Look at the bottom to the right:
"Foreign Orders ($55 + $10 Global Priority Mail"

Peo
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
Cane and Able
View Profile
New user
The Great White North
79 Posts

Profile of Cane and Able
Thanks Cody.

It sounds great!
Illusion77
View Profile
Loyal user
218 Posts

Profile of Illusion77
This sounds VERY interesting - I was wondering, are there any extra moves (without being specific) that are left out of the description that might make the effect look not as clean?

Again, please give no info that may infringe on methods, just wondering exactly what the audience sees.

Thanks!
Cody S. Fisher
View Profile
V.I.P.
Austin, Texas
1023 Posts

Illusion77,

John give so many methods that it will be impossible to describe them all. The primary method...John's "Meant To Be" system is beautiful. The audience will not perceive anything more than you taking the cards out of the box and handing them to the volunteer. There are no 'apparent' moves when this takes place. It looks SOOOO nice!

I hope this helps,
Cody S. Fisher

Mentalism
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Mentalism
Just ordered my copy and I can not wait to get it!
I think it will be great!

Markus
Illusion77
View Profile
Loyal user
218 Posts

Profile of Illusion77
Thanks Cody! I definitely trust your judgement - and I appreciate your thoughts!
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth, UK
4305 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
How does Johns differ from the amazing version I think called The Grail. Alakazam sold the effect and its one I use a lot, and think it is incredible
mushi
View Profile
New user
Japan
51 Posts

Profile of mushi
I've ordered my copy yesterday. I am addicted to an ACAAN effect.
Cody S. Fisher
View Profile
V.I.P.
Austin, Texas
1023 Posts

Christopher,

The grail is good...I like it. John's book has many methods for the ACAN plot...including his "Meant To Be" system and his award winning ACAN routine. I can't really go into much detail without giving away John's unique thoughts on the ACAN plot. In short...most of the time I have seen this effect presented...it is more of a coincidence effect. John's thoughts on presentation are what elevate the ACAN plot from a mere coincidence to a flippin' miracle!

Even if you decide to still perform The Grail you would still benefit from reading this book.

I hope this helps,
Cody S. Fisher

Note: Just so you guys know I have no financial interest in John's book...I bought my book just like everyone else. It's just so rare these days that I get fooled by a card trick...I just wanted to spread the magic...not keep to myself!

einhorn
View Profile
New user
London
92 Posts

Profile of einhorn
I absolutely agree with Cody.
John Born's version of Any Card At Any Number fooled everyone I spoke to at FFFF. Meant To Be is a beautifully published book full of workable, practible and original methods for this classic plot. However, this is not merely a book of secrets. It is also a fascinating insight into how John's mind works and how he approaches his craft. The essays are written by a man who cares about using magic to create Art. I have become a better magician for reading this book. I am sure you will too if you choose to buy it. Seriously recommended.
Kevvy
View Profile
Special user
702 Posts

Profile of Kevvy
Quote:
On 2006-05-10 16:17, fishermagic wrote:

Even if you decide to still perform The Grail you would still benefit from reading this book.

Cody,

Like Christopher, I perform The Grail often. It is my favorite CAAN. Do you mean that some of the ideas in the book can be incorporated into The Grail? Or that we will find John's ideas beneficial in general.

Either way, I'll get this book based on your recommendation.
Cody S. Fisher
View Profile
V.I.P.
Austin, Texas
1023 Posts

Dear Kevvy,

It's not going to change the "workings" of the gral...I just meant that it will give you some ideas on how to make any ACAN effect stronger.

I hope this helps,
Cody S. Fisher

Kevvy
View Profile
Special user
702 Posts

Profile of Kevvy
Any ideas that may enhance my presentation The Grail (or any Acan) are always welcome!

Thanks!
John Born
View Profile
Veteran user
357 Posts

Profile of John Born
Greetings everyone!

Wow - Fisher, Powers, Einhorn...thanks for your kinds words on my lastest project. FFFF was blast!

As far as the book in concerned, I am thrilled that it is finally here! Long time in the making. It turned out beautiful - 328 pages, 220 photos, hardboud 5 1/2 * 7 1/2 with black leather spine, read linen front/back and gold stamping. Forward by Dr. Ken Krenzel. Contributors include Dr. Ken Krenzel, Allan Ackerman,
Barrie Richardson, Banachek and Luke Jermay, Martin Joyal, Joshua Jay, Tony Miller, Paul Cummins, Mike Powers, and Jason Dean.

When deveolping the creations given, I want you to know that I had pure magic in mind, and desired a happening so absoutely impossible to the point where sleight of hand could not be the explanation. I wanted to take a coincidental card trick and elevate it to a stand-alone miracle (not a theoretical mircale, but one that could be featured in every show that you perform). Not to mention, I wanted to present an effect that would not only entertain, but would also fry everyone (knowledgable magicians included). In these efforts I have layered prinicples, techniques, and proper psychological subleties to get so far ahead of the audience that it is not even fair (no preshow). This led to the development of the Meant To Be system, as well as intense work on other approaches. There are clearly many ways to get a card at a number through sleight-of-hand. However, I feel that this effect is greatest if you clearly never have to the opportunity to manipulate the cards, or even never touch the cards at all. I feel the contributions from others that I chose fit well, as they are constructed with extremely clever principles instead of unnecessary or hard sleight of hand (such as the pass or center deal).

There are also many other techniques, effects, and ideas included in the book that has nothing to do with the ACAAN plot. For example - two jokers with different color backs are introduced along with a deck of cards. Spectator names any card in the deck. She then cuts the deck into two piles, and places one joker in each pile (outjogged). The piles are assembled into one, and the outjogged jokers are slowly squared into the pack (clearly in different parts of the deck). The magi slowly casts a shadow over the deck, and asks the spectator to spread the cards across the table. She finds that the jokers have travelled through the pack to sandwich one card. She pulls it out to find that it is her mentally selected card! Direct and absolutely magical.

Enjoy!

John B. Born
Doomo
View Profile
Inner circle
1887 Posts

Profile of Doomo
I gotta jump in here. This book is probably THE book buy of the year! It is a heck of a treatise on ONE effect! There will be those who go "A WHOLE book on ONE trick!?" All I can say is John has taken what is for many a dream effect and turned it into a reality. Yes, I have a version in his book. And YES, I have taken John's ideas and notched MY OWN effect. So if you get the urge to fry the customers (and needless to say - magicians - then buy this book... Wow! TWO books in one year that I have reccomended Either my standards are shot or this is a great year!
If you ever get to a point where words have no meaning, you're probably talking to a dog.

Remember! More Bang For LESS Bucks! It is the right way!

www.rfaproductions.com
cfrye
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon, USA
941 Posts

Profile of cfrye
I ordered my copy late Monday night and it arrived in my mailbox today. I haven't had a chance to read the book yet, but John's customer service is excellent.

Curt
JasonDean
View Profile
Loyal user
269 Posts

Profile of JasonDean
This has been John's baby for quite some time now. I remember when he told me he was going to write a book on the subject and release his version. I thought he was crazy, this material is GOLD! This may seem like hype from me but the moment you see his book without even opening it you know there is something special about it.
Congratulations my brother in magic!

Jason
Steve Haynes
View Profile
Special user
Southeastern United States
990 Posts

Profile of Steve Haynes
I have read half the book,and can say I am pleased.
This is a must have for anyone intrested in this effect.
Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler.
Albert Einstein
John Born
View Profile
Veteran user
357 Posts

Profile of John Born
Hello again -

First of all, I want to thank everyone for the outstanding response and support for my latest book Meant To BE...

At this time, Tom Craven is working to schedule a lecture tour for me to feature this book as well as several new DVDs that will soon be released. If you are interested in this lecture coming to your city, or want to inquire for more information, please contact Tom at vipmagic@aol.com. At this time I will be lecturing at the Magic Castle May 21st, the Minneapolis Close-up Convention June 9th-11th, the LVMI 11th-13th, Gary Darwin Club (Vegas) on the 14th, and in Boston June 27th. Hope to see you there!

All the best,

John B. Born
Mentalism
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Mentalism
I get the book saturday and read it through in just one day and I must say
this book is a KILLER! It is fantastic and absolutly great! For me it is really
the Book of the year! The Meant to be system is the final solution to the ACAAN plot. Thank U John to give such a great idea to all magicians!!I collected much ideas to the plot, but your system is really the best!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Review: Meant To Be - John Born's Book On The Any Card Any Number Plot (0 Likes)
<<< Previous Topic Next Topic >>>
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2014 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.310448 seconds, requiring 98 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

[9] [7] [7] [2] [6] [4] [4] [7] [4]